+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Planar attunement and more questions :)

Soulwalker

Default Planar attunement and more questions :)

Hello fellow Clerics!
    This is my first post here
    I just started playng Rift 3 weeks ago and im having a blast! I just hit 50 and i still need to know a lot of things....
    One question is : where i can find some tips and infos about planar attunement build for a Cleric? i will be healer, mainly in PVP (cause i like to pvp a lot) and do ofc also experts and such
    Another question : How to gear up? there's a post or link or database were i can find equipment for cleric? And i also heard that if i change role (from healers to dps for example) the equipment is basically the same.... is that true?
    Any informations and tips are more than appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RealTonhl View Post
    where i can find some tips and infos about planar attunement build for a Cleric?
    Best i can suggest is play around a bit with this calculator

http://rift.magelo.com/en/planar-attunement#1

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    Best i can suggest is play around a bit with this calculator

http://rift.magelo.com/en/planar-attunement#1
    Thank you m8, i already knew that
    Btw, Just to add a new question to the original post: The stats importance for cleric is
    Wisdom > spell power > and then?

Shield of Telara

As you are getting your PA levels, value those that give increase to Spell Power first.

the safest will be the Wisdom ones, the best are the Spell Power for weapons but since you are gearing up still your weapons will change between 1h/oh and 2h regularly depending on the drops.

The fire tier 2 has the super valuable Glyph that gives you Spell Power for 2 hours and even though it is in an intelligence oriented plane I would value that pretty highly to get completed.

Here is a guide written a while ago (when everyone was still leveling their PA) that is a good reference. http://dulfycleric.wordpress.com/201...unement-guide/
    Undecided! P90 Cleric | 9/9 FT-EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 5/5 PB | BoB 2/4

Overview:
    How many times have you seen someone with the fifth best boots or gloves lamenting that they really need those Best-In-Slot (BiS) items to maximize their performance? The funny thing is that the +12 Wisdom or +20 Spell Power that those BiS items might offer could be easily gained by simply rearranging their Planar Attunement (PA) points.

PA points are often overlooked. People spend hours on builds, gear, runes, and rotation. However, they could be easily losing out on huge gains, if they haven't reviewed their PA choices, and matched it to their gear and preferred play style.

In this guide, I hope to instruct Clerics on the proper way to reset and optimize their PvE PA choices.

Before you Begin:
    I'm sure you would like to see tangible evidence that this method is going to make things better for you.
    To do this, we will follow a very simple procedure:
    1) Equip the gear you want to be optimized for.
    2) Insure all buffs are removed.
    3) Write down ALL of your stats, to establish a benchmark for comparison later.
    4) Head to the Cleric Trainer, and reset your PA points.
    5) Write down ALL of your stats again, to establish a benchmark at zero points.
    6) Assign the points according to the methods outlined below.
    7) Write down all your stats again, to show how much better they are now.

The Theory:
    You should already understand that Clerics get 0.75 Spell Power (SP) for every point of Wisdom they stack. At least, this is true until you hit the cap. So, Wisdom is highly desirable. One of the PA selections will grant you 1 SP per PA, if you have a Staff, Wand, Totem, or Mace equipped. There is another selection which gets you 2 SP per PA if you have a two handed hammer equipped.

List of Planar Buffs:
    Plane of Earth: Wand - Staff - Endurance
    Plane of Air: Wand - Totem - Wisdom
    Plane of Fire: Mace/Dagger/Maul - Staff - Intelligence
    Plane of Water: Staff - Totem - Wisdom
    Plane of Life: Mace/Dagger/Maul - Totem - Endurance
    Plane of Death: Mace/Dagger/Maul - Wand - Intelligence

This list shows how Trion tried to split things up, to prevent you from simply going 100% into 1 or 2 planes. It pays to study this simple list for a moment to see how your gear choices might help or limit your SP gains, and how much PA it would take to maximize this.

For Example: Every cleric can carry a Wand, so all of the 144 SP (3 tiers, 6 planes, 8 points) can be obtained by all roles for 144 PA... but wait! You also need to buy a bunch of "filler tiles" to get at all of these points. This means focusing on Wisdom in the Plane of Air (awesome), and Intelligence in the Plane of Death (not so awesome). Do you start to see the picture? They blended things together, so you need to take the bad to get at the good.

This is where optimizing comes in... Optimizing means getting the most benefit for the least cost. Looking again at the List of Planar Buffs, we can calculate the following maximum SP bonuses available for each different type of equipped weapon:

Wand:
    (Earth, Air, Death = Endurance, Wisdom, Intelligence) = 144SP for 144PA + Filler

Mace/Dagger:
    (Fire, Life, Death = Intelligence, Endurance, Intelligence) = 144SP for 144PA + Filler

Totem:
    (Air, Water, Life = Wisdom, Wisdom, Endurance) = 144SP for 144PA + Filler

* Note that if you run with a One Hander, you will also have the Totem, so, we combine these:
    288SP for 288PA + (Filler X 2)

Staff:
    (Water, Earth, Fire = Wisdom, Endurance, Intelligence) 144SP for 144PA + Filler

Note the perfect balance so far. 1SP = 1PA, and equal quantities of Wisdom, Endurance, and Intelligence.
    ...and then:

Maul (Two Handed Hammer):
    (Fire, Life, Death = Intelligence, Endurance, Intelligence) = 288SP for 144PA + Filler

Gee... That Looks Good, Doesn't It?

Here we get double the total available SP of the staff, for the same PA cost.
    We also get the same total available SP of the one-hander/totem, at half the cost.
    The only downside is that we must choose our filler from two intelligence trees, and an endurance tree.
    This is why the Maul is the BiS weapon of choice among those players that know how to min-max, right?

WRONG!

NOT SO FAST!
    To get the full SP bonus for the Maul, you need to pour a huge amount of filler PA into these "less optimal" trees. It certainly looks good at first glance, but let's do the math:
    You lose 0.75SP for every PA point placed into Endurance trees.
    You lose 0.50SP for every PA point placed into Intelligence trees.

Now, you begin to see the truth...

The Truth:
    For Clerics, +1 Wisdom tiles (at 0.75SP per PA point), are the most important tiles to fill to Tier 3 first.

Actual Point Assignments

Starting Out:
    The first 16 points are always assigned in the same way, for all roles: Tanks, DPS, and Heals. You want to choose the center tile, and the +1 Planar Essence (purple tile) right next to it, for each of the six elemental planes. You then need to place one in the center tile of the PvP grid, and three in the ability to reduce the cooldown of "Break Free". This is usable in both PvP and PvE. Being able to use this to escape a stun in a Boss fight might save a wipe. These will be the only points spent on the PvP grid.

Wisdom:
    If you have 200 or more total PA Points, then simply fill everything in the first two tiers of Air and Water. These are the two "Wisdom Trees", and that will be the most bang for your buck. If you have less than this, your priorities are to get ALL of the Wisdom tiles to 3/3. At the same time, get any weapon bonus for your selected gear up to 4/4.

At this point, you will have spent 199 PA points, and your PA trees will look like this.
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/planar-att...1w/5M0001w/6M8

Cherry Picking - Tier 3 Air and Water:
    At this point, we will cherry pick in Tier 3 of the Water and Air trees.
    Get ALL of the Wisdom tiles to 3/3.
    At the same time, get any weapon bonus for your selected gear up to 4/4.

At the very end, there's a couple of special abilities that are definitely worth it.
    Air - Preferred Ally, Storm Shield, and Planar Charge.
    Water - Planar Shielding, and Flowing Charge. Wave Rider is purely personal preference.

This will get you to 263 points (without the weapon bonuses), and looks like this.
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/planar-att...1w/5M0001w/6M8

Cherry-Picking - Role Specific :
    Here's where you start to do different things, based on your role.

Tanks should focus on tiles in the folowing order:
    Endurance, Weapon Bonus, Special Abilities, Intelligence

Healers and DPS have more leeway here.
    I recommend that Healers and DPS focus on the Intelligence Trees.
    Not only does it add 0.25 SP for each PA point spent, but it also adds critical hit.
    Choosing an intelligence tree that has your weapon bonus is even better.
    However, even choosing Endurance isn't a huge loss.
    Eventually, you'll be filling up every tile, anyways, right?

Cherry-Picking - Tier 3 Special Abilities:
    There are many interesting special abilities in Tier 3, and I strongly recommend that you consider each one when choosing a path to the weapon bonus tiles. Don't just fill Tier 3, as those PA Points are going to get precious to you pretty quickly.

Also, be aware that some of the abilities have tooltips that SAY that they can ONLY be applied to level 50 or 51 weapons. However, they also work with Level 60 weapons.

When You're Done:
    Don't forget to write down your new specs, and see what you gained.
    Last edited by Kaelani; 10-28-2013 at 09:33 AM.

I wrote the above guide a while back as a reply to an aspiring raider who wanted to know how to maximize his spellpower.

The original poster has stated that he/she wants to be a PvP healer.

You obviously still need Spellpower in PvP, and I can see going to the 263 point boundary (T3 Air/Water) to get the best return. However, what I DON'T know is "How do I blend the PvP tree into this?"

Any experienced PvP Healers want to chime in and suggest which abilities outweigh the benefit of Spellpower, and what order you would spend your points in?
    Last edited by Kaelani; 10-28-2013 at 09:44 AM.

Soulwalker

Thanks a lot for all the infos and replies....
    So, as a rule for my PVP/Expert healing cleric, should i go Wisdom > Spell power and then?
    (im not speaking only about attunement here)

Shield of Telara

Thanks a lot for all the infos and replies....
    So, as a rule for my PVP/Expert healing cleric, should i go Wisdom > Spell power and then?
    (im not speaking only about attunement here)
    When it comes to items I value SP > Wis for my PvP and PvE gear.

However when it comes to runes - I use endurance runes over my PvP gear and SP/Wis runes for my PvE gear. Endurance items are tank items and they have a lot of wasted stats and if you are buying PvP items you don't have a choice anyway. You only have choices for runes and PA.

you could go the endurance PA path as well pretty happily with a PvP focus.

Soulwalker

Ok i've read it and all seems more clear....
    I think i just have to play a bit about the calculator and see
    Btw Planar attunement is shared across all character right? so for example if i get the +30 wis bonus, also my other frash started char will have it?

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

Btw Planar attunement is shared across all character right? so for example if i get the +30 wis bonus, also my other frash started char will have it?
    The points are shared, so if you gain, say, 100 points from questing etc on one char, all your alts also gain those 100 points.

They don't gain the same abilities you spend points in, it's up to you to spend the points however you like on the other chars

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    The points are shared, so if you gain, say, 100 points from questing etc on one char, all your alts also gain those 100 points.

They don't gain the same abilities you spend points in, it's up to you to spend the points however you like on the other chars
    Oh thats even better!
    So i have points but i can spend differently over other chars?

Shield of Telara

Oh thats even better!
    So i have points but i can spend differently over other chars?
    Correct - PA is total for your account. Each character gets that total and can allocate it however you like. Multiple characters doing dailies & weeklies is one way to increase your PA that doesn't involve PA grinding. You should find that just playing the game (other than running circles in Tempest Bay) should nicely be moving your PA along.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by aLittleBird View Post
    Correct - PA is total for your account. Each character gets that total and can allocate it however you like. Multiple characters doing dailies & weeklies is one way to increase your PA that doesn't involve PA grinding. You should find that just playing the game (other than running circles in Tempest Bay) should nicely be moving your PA along.
    Thank you friend
    Well, so far im only lvl 50 so ive a lot of road in front of me still
    Btw what do you recommend for a fast levelling and a faster gearing up? (especially for experts/PVP?) Theres a list of cleric items and cleric vendors that can i see?

Shield of Telara

Thank you friend
    Well, so far im only lvl 50 so ive a lot of road in front of me still
    Btw what do you recommend for a fast levelling and a faster gearing up? (especially for experts/PVP?) Theres a list of cleric items and cleric vendors that can i see?
    I am not up on the best ways to blast out the levels from 50 to 60 now days but when I did it on launch of Storm Legion it took me a few days and i did a whole bunch of different things to keep me sane while i was being sleep deprived.

I would use a mix of any and all of the following:
    - zone quests as you level
    - Great Hunts (people are always running these to grind noteriety)
    - Crafting dailies (easy XP for little effort)
    - PvP War Fronts

The fastest is likely going to be a mix of zone quests and Great Hunts.

Telaran

Quickest way to lvl 50-60 I know is:
    Do all the storm legion STORY quests (they give double the xp of normal quests), and when you hit a quest you are too low lvl to manage do Instant Adventures until you can do it.
    Rinse and repeat until 60.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast