+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sikph

Thread: Good offsouls for soloing

Default Good offsouls for soloing

I'm starting to casually level my Cleric, but I'd rather go a non-Druid route. I like some of the ideas going on with Druid, but I need to be in the right mood to play a pet class.

Now, I'm thinking of going with a fairly heavy Justicar build (probably 41 points), which should provide excellent survivability and some AoE options, but I'm a little undecided what offsoul would be best for extra DPS while still leaving room in the rotation for the Justicar abilities.

I hate to use a Rogue comparison, but I'm looking for something akin to Assassin. A moderate investment in Sin gives you Poisons and DoTs for extra DPS (not to mention Stealth), but for the most part doesn't require you to change your rotation significantly.

Would Inquisitor work? The DoTs would be great, but I'm not sure if Life and Death Concord would proc off of Justicar attacks (while they are Life elemental in nature, I'm not positive whether or not they are "spells" by this game's sometimes odd definition).

Also, as a largely off-topic question: Would it be better to skip the Block talents in Justicar and use a 2-hander, or go Shield and skip some defensive talents? I'm not sure how important the Block talents are for DPS and/or survivability.

Honest opinion. Skip Justicar beyond first few points, it should be your offsoul, not main. Leveling in a majority tank spec is going to be slow and unenjoyable. Feel free to use it at 0-points for the passive healing, or a few for extra HP/resists/armor, but it is far from essential for solo play.

Also, although Druid utilizes pets, you do not need to manage them. You play a standard melee class with choices in an npc controlled pet, they do all the work to supplement you. Either through tanking, dps or healing.

Your best bet is to pick a DPS tree that appeals to you the most and invest all your points into it, then with whatever is left put into Justicar or a heal tree. There is no need to invest heavily in tanking or healing unless you're planning to solo half a dozen elites at once, which would never be necessary.

As for weapon choices, pick whichever combination (2h or 1h/oh) gives you the highest raw stats. DPS is negligible. There's not much point in using a shield unless you're tanking in group content. It's only going to cripple your stats otherwise.
    Last edited by Sikph; 09-10-2013 at 06:38 AM.

Cleric 4/4 Hardmodes 4/4 FT 5/5 EE 4/4 GA
    Twitch Stream

Soulwalker

i'd suggest a shaman/druid/justicar build if your fairy's not level capped yet, otherwise take shaman/justicar/and the healer class of your choice.
    and when you are leveling, i'd go with a 2H all the way.
    Last edited by spitz6860; 09-10-2013 at 08:54 AM.

Prophet of Telara

if you have storm legion or paid for SL souls on a ftp account.

Defiler provides powerful solo character if druid is not your style and can preform better in some areas. Defiler has strong heals, good st dps and good solo tools like beacon of despair can tank infinite amount of mobs while it heals as you dmg and fowl growth is applied.

Only thing Defiler does not have is good aoe, you can spread marrow harvest/siphon life to multi mobs which is pretty nice. but you can rip throw mobs pretty quickly with 0 downtime easy mana regeneration ect ect.

but you can pretty much run around dotting up multi mobs and take no damage and clearing areas pretty quickly.

common solo defiler specs are 61 defiler/12inq/3sent and many other variations.
    Last edited by DriftinARift; 09-11-2013 at 01:31 PM.

Shadowlander

yes, inq synergizes really well with justicar. yes, all the 'light' attacks of justicar will proc life and death concord. spending the remainder of your points in inq gives you excellent dots and ramps up your single target and aoe significantly because of unified theory and soul drain.

is it the best leveling spec? no, but its not terrible either. play what you enjoy. that's the beauty of the soul system in rift; especially if you're just a casual player.

about blocking, if you don't ever plan to tank for events and such while leveling, i'd skip it and go for straight out dps. with the passive heals from both souls, the cool downs and doctrine of bliss, taking damage shouldn't be an issue. grab 0 sentinel or purifier and you're set for all your damage mitigation while leveling.

The reason I'm leaning towards Justicar is due to my playstyle - if I don't die at least once or twice a day, I feel like I'm not trying hard enough. Playing it safe and just waiting for that group of 100 Invaders camping a quest hub to leave is much less fun for me than Leeroy-ing it and dying once or twice before clearing them out. As such, a build that can take a little more punishment while I'm doing crazy things is more how I like it.

My issue with pets is that no matter how low-maintenance they are, they aren't going to do exactly what I want unless micromanaged. If I have aggro on an enemy, I can move it away from the path of a patrol while still DPSing, but a tanking pet isn't smart enough to move without being set to Passive. They also like body pulling things you'd narrowly avoid if they weren't there.

My question about Shields was less about survivability and more about Precept of Refuge (which looks to actually be a DPS loss over Strike of Judgement upon closer inspection), Commitment, Confidence, and Strike of Retribution - I'm not sure how important those are for a Justicar's DPS in the long run, or whether a 2-hander's improved stats will outweigh any DPS gained.

try shaman/justicar/sent but don't put more than 10-15 points in justicar, and don't put more than 5 points into sent

shaman will be your primary soul to do good aoe and ST dps, justicar will provide passive defense and passive healing, sent will beef up the pasive healing a little, give you an instant cast heal for emergencies, and will increase your spellpower.

pure justicar just takes an eon to kill a mob

Edit: and NO shield!
    Last edited by Redcruxs; 09-12-2013 at 05:46 AM.

Rift Disciple

You ideally want something that has good survivability, decent self-healing and still puts out a load of damage, especially in AoE it sounds like in your case. Sadly, that was exactly what the Duracell Cleric was which they sadly took away from us. You can still get something approaching this type of build but sadly it is nowhere near as effective as it once was.

Druid is the go-to soul nowadays for solo play, so people will always try and convince you. If you are dead-set against it then a decent option would be to try something like this:

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree.j...8KBkyiySg/n8gw

You essentially use Even Justice with your Mein of Honour to AoE groups down and get some nice healing from it while doing competitive damage. ST gains healing from Vex, as well as Justicar abilities and DoB, a shield from Shaman although sadly many attacks do not have cooldowns (such as lightning hammer) so macroing them together does prove a little problematic, you also need to intertwine Justicar abilities into your rotation to gain Convictions as well as get the extra self-healing.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Redcruxs View Post
    pure justicar just takes an eon to kill a mob
    I go double on that sentiment. When I tried leveling a pure Justicar, I would die almost every fight simply because I would run out of mana before I killed the mobs.

The answer to your initial question is that it depends on your main. Some souls synergize really well, others really poorly.

For example, let's say you wanted to run a Cabalist (damage based on AoE Ranged Death). Defiler and Inquisitor have +death bonuses that can help a Cabalist, that's good synergy. Shaman is ST Melee Water/Lightning/Air damage, that's bad synergy.

Justicar can never hurt as a offsoul while soloing, but you're limiting that build's effectiveness once you start playing with other people (dungeon, raid, zone event, stronghold, etc). And even then you should expect it's only for the +END ability and the minimal soul talents.

I agree with the idea of thinking about using Defiler as your offsoul, but you'd really want like 20-25 points to have Beacon of Despair, Husk of Indifference, 3/3 Scarred Heart.

Another idea might be to go with Purifier and/or Warden. Then before each fight you can pop an absorb and/or HoT, respectively, to help keep you going and top off your HP afterwards.

Rift Master

Defiler with zero points is a good offsoul as it nets a 5% damage boost.

+ Reply to Thread