+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pre 2.4 Cleric Calling and Suggestions

Ascendant

Default Pre 2.4 Cleric Calling and Suggestions

With fresh content on the horizon it is a good time to review what has happened since 2.3 and what could possibly be improved upon in the coming weeks. Kervik has done an excellent job with most of the souls and put Cleric in a very good spot for the time being. Here are some highlights.

Inquisitor
    - 1 Second GCD, Echoing Concord
    Shaman - Stacking Courages, Improved Pattern of Violence, Frozen Wrath off cooldown.
    Druid - Dropped weak Support aspects for a Massive DPS boost and several new soul mechanics
    Purifier - No more shield spamming. New mechanics to give tank healing back to puri.

What remains to be seen is if any of the other souls will receive the attention that those above did.

Justicar seems to be solid throughout with the exception of a few items. DoB and Divine Right are terrible and Mein of Honor needs something
    • Doctrine of Bliss- Whenever you engage an enemy for the first time, healing done to you by your Salvation is increased by 20% for 10 seconds.
    • Divine Right - Doctrine of Bliss healing bonus is increased by 3/6/9% and lasts 3/6/9 seconds longer.
    • Remove the shared cooldown between Meins
    • Mein of Honor - Reduces threat generation by 50% and increases damage of all abilities by 10%. Salvation also restores twice as much health when using single target non-Justicar abilities. Increases healing by 10% when using Justicar abilities.
    Defiler could use a couple changes to give it overall QoL.
    • Pain Transmission - Deals X damage to the target. Deals X damage to up to 3 enemies near the targeted enemy and near the targets of the Cleric's Links. 30 Meter range. 2 second cast time. 15 second cooldown.
    • Feast of the Fallen - Removes 1 Curse, Disease, or Poison from the Cleric and the targets of the Cleric's links. Instant. 5 second cooldown.
    Sentinel is more hindered by Chloro's versatility and raid buffs than anything else but it is still an effective soul in small group content and PvP. With the changes to Puri, i feel like Sentinel is intended to remain in it's current small group/PvP role.

Warden has some abilities that many people have voiced negative opinions about but there have been no changes come about. Credit goes out to others for the basis of these suggestions.
    • Soothing Stream - Restores X health over 15 seconds. Max of 4 stacks. If a target has 2 or more stacks, only 1 stack will be removed after 15 seconds and the timer will reset. Instant.
    • Oversaturation - Deals X water damage whenever a nearby party or raid member is healed by the Cleric. Lasts until enemy dies or is cleansed. Can only affect 1 enemy. Not affected by the Global Cooldown. Still keeps internal cooldown.
    • Bosun's Blessing - Causes area of effect healing spells to restore X health. Increases damage dealt by 25%. Lasts 1 hr.
    Cabalist is currently in the worst state of any of the souls and for good reasons. It's lack of uselessness in really any content has come about from the superiority of Inq, Shaman, and now Druid. It received buffs then nerfs and bugs to follow in PvP and has become fairly useless to those that play the calling. The argument of it being a pure AoE soul is no longer valid based on other callings "AoE" souls. It needs help in the single target area and needs it badly.

• Affinity for Death - Increases damage done by Tyranny of Death and Bound Fate by 3/6/9%. If the enemy is suffering from Darkness, your Tyranny of Death will now cast Dark Water onto them.
    • Eccentric - Each stack of Darkness on the enemy increases the damage they take from Shadow's Touch by 2/4/6/8/10% opposed to 1/2/3/4/5%.
    • Dark Manifesto - Your Curse of Discord and Curse of Solitude cause enemies to take 2/4/6/8/10% more damage from your attacks.
    • Leviathan's Mark - Increase damage done with Curses and Dark Water by 8/16/24% opposed to 5/10/15%
    Where to go from there i am not sure. The issues with PvP are beyond the soul tree and need to be addressed in some way but these changes would immediately improve Cabalist.

Overall we still have a great calling and Kervik put in a lot of good work. I hope to see some more nice changes in the future. This is just a compilation of what i would like to see cleaned up.

Rift Chaser

Cabalist has a ton of CC-based utility that really serves no purpose except for PVP, but in PVP it's not utilized at all anyway because mass scale battles favor dominator shutdown and necromancers CE.

Cabalist AOE is also poor on anything except almost 8 targets, and only if enemies are dying frequently to trigger tyranny. I can't suggest a way to make cabalist better without changing core mechanics or completely revamping how the soul works. I do like how it works currently but it's outmatched by other souls in many situations.

as long as we nerf inquisitor a bit
    and find a way to tone down sentinel and then come up with some way to make defielers not have infinite mana.......
    hope the problem with inquis was the crystal. I honestly just think they should have made a pvp crystal for each class and not let you use the pve ones.
    How much do you HATE BISHOPX?
    Warrior video (july)
    Newest shaman PvP video
    Enjoy the GREATEST HITS

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Candoalot View Post
    Cabalist has a ton of CC-based utility that really serves no purpose except for PVP, but in PVP it's not utilized at all anyway because mass scale battles favor dominator shutdown and necromancers CE.

Cabalist AOE is also poor on anything except almost 8 targets, and only if enemies are dying frequently to trigger tyranny. I can't suggest a way to make cabalist better without changing core mechanics or completely revamping how the soul works. I do like how it works currently but it's outmatched by other souls in many situations.
    On the surface Cabalist does appear to have a lot going for it but as you pointed out, it just isn't needed for nearly any content. Improving it's single target DPS is a start and should be done to the level of which other callings AoE souls are currently at. Cabalist has fallen too far behind.

Rift Chaser

I don't really care about any of the other suggestions, but Pain Transmission should not be ranged. Being in melee is just about the only fun thing about playing defiler.

And TIL defilers have infinite mana.

Shadowlander

I do like the Defiler suggestions. I have another to make it more viable in raids.

A toggle ability deep in the tree that causes Foul Growths to, instead of healing only its target, divide the healing among 5 or 10 raid members.

since when do defilers need to be more viable in raids?

Ascendant

I think defiler is alright but for me having to stand around in melee for one ability is not what makes it interesting or more fun as funk pointed out. It is not the most interesting soul to play to begin with. It just seems an unnecessary aspect to me.

Quote Originally Posted by haybale View Post
    I think defiler is alright but for me having to stand around in melee for one ability is not what makes it interesting or more fun as funk pointed out. It is not the most interesting soul to play to begin with. It just seems an unnecessary aspect to me.
    I'm not sure minmaxing Pain Transmission was originally intended to be such an important part of using the spec but I don't particularly see any reason to change it.

Quote Originally Posted by haybale View Post
    [*]Bosun's Blessing - Causes area of effect healing spells to restore X health. Increases damage dealt by 25%. Lasts 1 hr.
    +1 to this suggestion, I think Warden DPS should go up in the range of Chloros - the 2 will still, as it is now, serve different purposes in a raid, but the preferential treatment Chloros are getting for their sustained AoE right now should be dealt with.
    Last edited by Kahunaa; 09-16-2013 at 03:45 AM.

I have been healing 5 mans with defiler and the one thing I noticed is how anti-melee every boss fight is, using pain transmission seems useless unless there are a bunch of weak mobs around.

It would also be nice to see jealous intervention be changed to "remove 1 disease, curse or poison from the targets of your links" instead of just 1 target

I would love to see the warden HOTs improved, perhaps as suggested or by another method. But I also feel like that can't happen as long as we have a button that casts *51* HOTs at the same time. Nerf that button and improve the HOTs.

The biggest thing wrong with defiler is that it's 58-required. Like hard required, not negotiable, if you aren't 58 you aren't a defiler. It's supposed to be a hybrid-capable soul - something to mesh with any style - but there's just not a hell of a lot you can do with 15-18 spare points. Move Link of Agony down the tree and watch creative, fun-to-play defiler builds proliferate.

Cabalist I think is a lost cause. Half the abilities are only useful in PvP, but it's still a bad PvP spec because of the eight-target requirement. Not to mention vulnerability to cleanse and bad defense. In PvE, pulls aren't big enough. It's like a spec from a different game, one where the average pull is ten mobs instead of three (trash) or one (bosses). It needs a rework, but is unlikely to get one before 3.0. Lost cause for now.
    I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

Quote Originally Posted by Stay View Post
    The biggest thing wrong with defiler is that it's 58-required. Like hard required, not negotiable, if you aren't 58 you aren't a defiler. It's supposed to be a hybrid-capable soul - something to mesh with any style - but there's just not a hell of a lot you can do with 15-18 spare points. Move Link of Agony down the tree and watch creative, fun-to-play defiler builds proliferate.
    This is funny since Defiler/Cab hybrids are so prevalent. If you want to be the strongest tank mitigation of course you need to go 61 points, what hybrid would you expect to be superior in that job and how would it not make 61 defiler pointless?

As for Cab, I wax nostalgic for the days of Hammerknell trash, and that's on any class since they all have fun 8-target AoE specs...
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 09-16-2013 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    This is funny since Defiler/Cab hybrids are so prevalent. If you want to be the strongest tank mitigation of course you need to go 61 points, what hybrid would you expect to be superior in that job and how would it not make 61 defiler pointless?
    I don't think I've ever seen a Def/Cab hybrid in a raid or even an expert group. They were in PvP for about three days, until disintegrate was nerfed, and then gone forever again. You hardly even see them in solo or world content any more. Since the recent buffs it's all druid and inquis with a smattering of shaman. "So prevalent?" Where?

And making a 61 spec pointless is far better than making it required - which makes *hundreds* of possible hybrid specs pointless. If you can't balance out a good-but-not-required 61 point soul, you should err on the side of making 61 too weak instead of too strong. Again, a weak 61 makes one build pointless. A required 61 makes hundreds of builds pointless.
    I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast