+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ranking AE taunt abilities

Soulwalker

Default Ranking AE taunt abilities

Let's say I'm fighting a pack of monsters and have the main one targeted.
    Suddenly I see one pull off me and run towards a dps. Due to the amount of players/mobs onscreen and my clumsy hands I'm not sure if I can target it fast enough for a hard taunt before the party member is dead.

What ability should I use? What would give me the most threat there?

Doctrine of Authority?
    Even Justice? (assuming only 5?)
    Censure?
    Hammer of Faith?

Total Assurance + DoA?

I'm just trying to get a good understanding of how the Justicar AE taunt abilities rank from most to least. Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Zaveth; 09-04-2013 at 01:28 PM.

The easiest way to regain agro on that loose mob would be to use a taunt on it, which ability to use would depend on your range to the mob and whether you can target it or not.

If the mob is out of your range for melee, and you cant quickly target it, the one thing that will usually always snap the agro back is repreive. Total assurance + DoA would probably work, if i'd just use DoA on cooldown anyway to make as much threat as possible in the fight place and not lose agro to begin with.
    Ambi - Cleric - Apotheosys.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by usman View Post
    i'd just use DoA on cooldown anyway to make as much threat as possible in the fight place and not lose agro to begin with.
    Sure, no doubt.

Still, regardless of the hypothetical situation I detailed I'm just trying to get a handle on where things rank so I know what to use when.

From what I understand (and you just further confirmed), Reprieve is godlike taunt everything - though also on fairly long cooldown and also useful for healing damage in emergencies perhaps.

Doctrine of Authority is pretty damn good, especially with Total Assurance buff.

What about Doctrine of Loyalty? Is this useful in an adds situation or mostly a waste of a gcd? Lets say I'm pulling adds and worried cause I'm with dps that outgear me, would TA + DoA + DoL + Rest of convictions on a Hammer of Faith sound like a good start before moving into Censure + Even Justice? Or is that a silly idea?

Speaking of which, how do those two compare to each other? Is Even Justice more taunt than Censure (assuming 5 or less mobs of course)?

As mentioned taunt is the safe bet. If you can't get a target on it then either Censure hitting a lot of enemies or DoL are good ways to build healing threat quickly. Even Justice and Censure do the same amount of healing per enemy hit which means Censure has more potential for healing threat if there are enough enemies, but Censure will do less damage threat to the mobs you hit than EJ.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 09-05-2013 at 09:41 AM.

Depending on the fight (if you're in a dungeon vs raid or w/e) you can always Reprieve
    T for Trinity
    42k Achievement Points Club
    I has stream https://www.twitch.tv/boase Add me on GW2 Boase.6204 or Bnet Boase!#1862

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    Even Justice and Censure do the same amount of healing per enemy hit which means Censure has more potential for healing threat if there are enough enemies, but Censure will do less damage threat to the mobs you hit than EJ.
    Cool, thanks for the info TheGrinnz.

And I guess I need to incorporate DoL more.

Doctrine of Loyalty, as long as you are running with at least 10 players, deals a huge amount of threat on every targets.
    Doctrine of Authority is the same, except it's better. Both coupled with Total Assurance will build insane amounts.

Using reprieve in order to build threat is in my opinion a big waste. As a cleric tank, you should not let the mobs run around, you're a real magnet.
    Last edited by fufi; 09-06-2013 at 12:18 AM.
    <Apotheosys>@Typhiria
    World First 5-man Easy Mode 1/4 GP

Also:

Don't call threat builders "taunts." Don't call building threat "taunting." A taunt is a specific thing, forces the mob to attack you. You have three taunts - provoke and two AE taunts that I forget the names of. Everything you do builds threat. Only those three buttons taunt.

If you say you're taunting a mob when you aren't actually using a taunt on it, your raid leader and other tanks are going to be very confused.
    Last edited by Stay; 09-06-2013 at 06:42 AM.
    I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

+ Reply to Thread