+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need help to start tanking with 60 from 0

Soulwalker

Default Need help to start tanking with 60 from 0

I am 60 and I have been playing mainly Inquisitor so far but I would really like to go into tanking. The problem is, how to get the gear for that.

Gearing in RIFT is so extreme slow and grinding, like the time I spent for example to get my Mercenary set for PvP in the same time I had gotten Tyrannical aka BiS in WoW lol. Running instances to offspec roll is also not really an option seeing that you wait like an hour for a instance as dps.

I also checked the AH but there is not even a Shield and only very few useable items. I could start the awful IS grind but I hope to be able to avoid that somehow. ( Yeah I admit as much as I like RIFT, I think the way of obtaining gear just sucks, I do not want it for free but grinding that much for IS aint fun either for me at least ).

Shall I queue for normal dungeons first maybe? Can I get decent enough gear from there to move on to experts later and can a healer keep me alive in a normal dungeon in Inquisitor gear. I am sitting at 30k health only buffed then and no extra avoidance from gear.

Rift Disciple

You should learn to heal experts too so you can random queue as healer/dps while you gain tanking gear, a healers queue is no more than 10s.

Secondly, you should take a look at this cleric tanking guide: http://www.riftscene.com/guides/clas...rm-legion-2-2/

The first part gives you 4 pieces of gear (or 5 for 2 rings) that you can craft that will keep until you gain raid gear.

The rest of the gear will have to be dropped from experts or just keep doing zone events for IS Stones, if you have a token pot you can put on, it won't take long to get stones since you can also mentor down and do old zone events for IS too.
    Last edited by dotSilver; 09-02-2013 at 03:37 AM.

There are a few craftable items.

Rings (purple - BiS before raid)
    Shield (all be it rediulously costly)
    Mace (blue)
    Helmet (purple)
    Belt (pruple)

find a crafter and stick a "rugged" augment in them
    Also, Lycini tanking essences help a lot, and rep is more than easy to get for them.
    Forbiden (70) | Demara (70) | Midas (65) | Minatsuki (65)

Server = Zaviel!

Plane Touched

You can also run Queens Gambit and A Hero Rises everyday, takes me about 45min for a complete run through solo using Shaman Holy Fire build. There are some very nice early tanking items that can be upgraded from the drops. IIRC, theres a wand, helm, shoulders, boots, pants, ring. In doing that I was able to get 300 toughness easy, although I'm still not tank ready as there is still the matter of putting a sigil together. Sitting at about 35k HP, don't want to step foot in an Expert till i'm atleast 42k.

You can get the 2 cleric tanking crafted rings for cheap on the AH or have a buddy make them. Use your IS on the world event merchant shield, if possible buy the base with credits and upgrade with IS, or vice versa if you got the spare credits.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Stokesey View Post
    You can get the 2 cleric tanking crafted rings for cheap on the AH or have a buddy make them. Use your IS on the world event merchant shield, if possible buy the base with credits and upgrade with IS, or vice versa if you got the spare credits.
    Be very careful when getting them off the AH - unfortunately people do put not the best/even lower/crappy augments on stuff and sell it at just a tad lower in prices, BUT also with (sometimes much) lower stats ... it would be far better to get someone you know / trust / whatever to make the stuff for you with your mats and augment

If you are on Zaviel, I have all professions and can craft anything ....

The fastest way to get the necessary Toughness is to do the level 58+ Normal modes and then jump into Experts. Else you can just queue as DPS/Heals/Support and take Expert pieces directly. It really doesn't take very long, when my Warrior hit 60 I was sitting self-buffed at over 50k and had already completed all of Frozen Tempest with 3 days.
    Nope.

Soulwalker

Thanks for the tips, will try to buy some gear from the AH and probably do 58+ instances.

I tried healing but I have to admit i fail with healing in this game lol, the tank healing is easy but with the rest of the group constantly taking so much damage and lack of AOE heals I have my issues and lose ppl all the time.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Belyus View Post
    Thanks for the tips, will try to buy some gear from the AH and probably do 58+ instances.

I tried healing but I have to admit i fail with healing in this game lol, the tank healing is easy but with the rest of the group constantly taking so much damage and lack of AOE heals I have my issues and lose ppl all the time.
    Try full sentinel with 15 puri; macro the shield to @mouseoverui for 3 shields, put a @self HB macro in place

Shadowlander

As posted above, its not as bad a grind as you think and can be done in a week.

(1) Run your daily chronicles. I still have trouble with Queen's Gambit (the twin bosses), so i go tank and just grind them down using my long full heal and shied cooldowns. Slow but it works.
    (2)Run the normal level 58-60 dungeons.
    (3)Queue as healer for experts.
    (4)While waiting do world events for IS

Between those 4, you can get a decent blue set rather quick. Use the IS to fill out the missing pieces (especially weapons!). One you hit 40k Health and 300 tough, G2G (generally what i see for lower tanks). It goes faster than you think. I have almost 400 toughness and I've been spliting time between healing and tank sets--don't even have a tank piece in every slot!

Also you can tank the 58-60 (non-expert) dungeons a lot sooner--once you get your mace+shield and a few pieces have at it. (30k or more health). If you are really low, the 56-60 dungeons will be fine--hit those for a while. If you want to tank, all it really takes is a shield. If you want to tank experts it will take some work, but its by no means a "grind"

ALso a word on healing: IF people are dying from AoE, that's on them. Healer is a harsh business, as harsh as tank. If you feel it is you (good healers blame themselves a lot--its ok-it means you care!) try out different specs. I'm partial myself to to Sent with lots of instant heals and AoE cleanse. But DPS are stupid as a rule. THey stand in fire, they run into AoE and do all sorts of dumb stuff. Keep your tank alive and look for the dps who is doing a lot of damage. 3 people can carry a group, but tank +healer are non-negotiable. From there you have 3 dps to "pick" to survive. CHoose wisely! =)
    Last edited by Ngmuaine; 09-06-2013 at 12:45 PM.

+ Reply to Thread