+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kaelani

Thread: Returning Cleric - Where to Practice Healing

Shadowlander

Default Returning Cleric - Where to Practice Healing

Hi everyone

I'm a returning player, just a week or two back in, and enjoying my now 51 cleric. I've got soloing down just fine with my satyr, but I'd like to be viable in healing eventually as well (not interested in raiding, just casual stuff). I'm a little leery about going into any straight up 5-man dungeons at the moment, as the most I've done with my healing spec is set it up and stare at it. I know I healed dungeons when I played previously, but that was 2011 ... >.>

I was thinking I should go find some rift bosses to practice my healing with? I figure that's an outdoor situation where healing is appreciated but no one will beat you over the head if it's not perfect. Where did you guys "learn to heal"? Any advice or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Claudya View Post
    Hi everyone

I'm a returning player, just a week or two back in, and enjoying my now 51 cleric. I've got soloing down just fine with my satyr, but I'd like to be viable in healing eventually as well (not interested in raiding, just casual stuff). I'm a little leery about going into any straight up 5-man dungeons at the moment, as the most I've done with my healing spec is set it up and stare at it. I know I healed dungeons when I played previously, but that was 2011 ... >.>

I was thinking I should go find some rift bosses to practice my healing with? I figure that's an outdoor situation where healing is appreciated but no one will beat you over the head if it's not perfect. Where did you guys "learn to heal"? Any advice or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

hmm I would say you have a few options, here is what I would do if i were in your situation

1. I would find a casual leveling guild that has some people in the 50-60 range
    2. I would run normal mode dungeons with them to help you learn to heal (they can mentor down to your level to help you out)
    3. my next choice would be to practice in the 50-60 warfronts, you will die a lot but your heals will definately be wanted. (just turn off chat if you don't want to deal with derps)
    4. after I got the basics down I would try in normal pug dungeons (after learning the strats ahead of time as DPS or with guild)

note: doing all these things will help you level up as a bonus!

There are also healing practice target dummies if you want to practice your rotations or measure your hps (healing per second) with a meter. You can even buy them for your dimension to practice in private.

I was recently in your shoes, and here's what to do.

To practice healing, run the daily raid rift, hunt rifts, and great hunt rifts.

These groups are always PUGs.
    They advertise for people right out in 50s and 60s chat.
    Watch for "LFM DRR" or "LFM GH5" or "LFM hunt rifts".
    Send them a tell, and ask for an invite.

If you aren't very good, it doesn't matter!
    Usually, there are other healers helping you.
    Since nobody has assigned you the job of healing, it's not your fault if there's a wipe.
    It is blame-free practice.

You'll get the feel of the rotation, and can do either tank or raid heals.

In addition, there are daily quests for these three things which get you Torvan and Lycini rep (notoriety), which will let you get the best capes and essences in the game. Once you get better, you might even try strongholds, which will give you much more of a strenuous workout. (LFM SH62)
    Last edited by Kaelani; 08-29-2013 at 10:39 AM.

Telaran

everyone says practice in drr. but its not a good way to determine how effective u r. cuz the other healers will be overhealing/outhealing u. its same as practicing on dummy imo.
    the best imo is to practice in a lower level dungeon. im practicing my tank in normal dungeons even tho im geared enuff for experts. first get ur rotation straight in either drr or dummy then practice on a lower level dungeon. it should be a cinch since ur over geared. then when ur comfortable with ur healing and use of CDs u can do ur normal level dungeons (experts/raids)

for dungeons u will want 61 sentinel/15 puri
    for raids u will want 61 warden/15sentinel or mix. raid tank healing u will want 61 purifier or sentinel.

u can also do purifier for dungeon but sentinel is easier imo. more aoe healing. but purifier is more OP for single healing.
    Last edited by Etherial; 08-29-2013 at 12:36 PM.

Sent is probably easier to learn the mechanics of a dungeon with; the number of "oh shoot" buttons and AoE heals you have can get you through fights you don't know. Once you know the fights, I really think that 61 Purifier is easier to use. If you can predict AoE damage, you can pre-shield everyone, use Healing Breath to instant spot heal, and watch your fire destroy trash. Way more fun that spamming Invocations as sent, IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiHeilos View Post
    Trying to give advice on the internet doesn't work.

Sentinel is very easy to get started and guides are out there to get your started. The hardest thing with healing is knowing when big damage is going to take place and being ready to heal through it/pre-emptively heal it (shields, cooldowns, etc). As Sentinel, you will spend most of your time either using your 2 second heal, burst healing with 1.5 sec Crucial, or insta-healing to top off raid members. The rest of the time, you will just be watching mechanics, dispelling, or waiting to use cooldowns. And ofc, the more geared/experienced your tank, the less cooldowns you will be using.

If you don't like PvP, I would try healing in zone events at your level. Find one of the groups going around doing the event and just following them around and heal them. This will also be the time to configure your UI so you can clearly see debuffs, hp %'s, etc. I personally use Gadgets' raid frames, but there are several options. The default Rift ones are fine, but you may need to make them bigger so you can more easily distinguish 90% from 50% when a bunch of debuffs are on.

After doing a few, get your feet wet with a normal dungeon. If you already ran them as DPS, you are ahead of the game. If not, you can even go as far as looking at boss mechanics or asking friends what they do to better prepare you. Also, be prepared to heal tanks that should delete their tank spec ;)

Good luck!
    Greybriar:
    Voraj - 4x Mage
    Voraje - 6x Cleric
    Teo - 6x Rogue

+ Reply to Thread