+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Melee cleric viability in PvP

Default Melee cleric viability in PvP

So, I've been leveling 10-50 shaman and druid with WF's and I have couple of questions for more experienced players.

Druid damage is good, nice burst etc, lacks ranged but it's fine because I want to melee.
    But lack of snare makes staying at targets too damn unreliable. How to stay on your kiting target without snare?

Shaman is good burst IMO, but the gap closer is just crap, atleast it has a snare.
    What I'd love to see with a such melee focused tree to get pull, or OGCD gap closer with shorter CD. Windwalk helps a bit but not too much. Also the defensive portition feels useless. Maybe 25% damage reduction instead of dodge&parry would be better?

TL; DR How to stay at melee with druid and shaman to deal enough damage to matter?
    Last edited by tuhka; 08-25-2013 at 05:00 AM.

I've been toying with idea to making Druid/shaman hybrid with enough points in shaman to get snare, but I would lose pull and bunch of other important druid abilities.
    Will try it when I get back to home.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by tuhka View Post
    So, I've been leveling 10-50 shaman and druid with WF's and I have couple of questions for more experienced players.

Druid damage is good, nice burst etc, lacks ranged but it's fine because I want to melee.
    But lack of snare makes staying at targets too damn unreliable. How to stay on your kiting target without snare?

Shaman is good burst IMO, but the gap closer is just crap, atleast it has a snare.
    What I'd love to see with a such melee focused tree to get pull, or OGCD gap closer with shorter CD. Windwalk helps a bit but not too much. Also the defensive portition feels useless. Maybe 25% damage reduction instead of dodge&parry would be better?

TL; DR How to stay at melee with druid and shaman to deal enough damage to matter?
    Well, to be honest shaman sees a massive power spike at 60 with the 1s GCD toggle.

I run this at 60 w/ warlord crystal when I do run shaman, but shaman is reliant on decent heals in most cases. This variant has excellent ranged damage with dark water replacing grasp entirely. I would not suggest playing a shaman build without 11 in caba, it's just far too easy to get into a situation where you ride the lightning in, do your burst combo then get stuck there with 5 combusts and a 8s root on you. You NEED the second break free both to stick to targets and to get out safely.

If you want to play druid, again that build sees a power spike at 60 with Fae Mimicry. I would not suggest playing druid at all without 61 points in it. Honestly, I wouldn't suggest playing druid period unless you're duo queueing with a pyro, mm or healer.

If you plan on killing anyone then you need to go full druid or full shaman. If you are R80 then make sure your wf has decent healers, and it wont be too bad. If you are not WL geared then you will need your own healbot to survive in melee.
    Last edited by Guyjax; 08-25-2013 at 07:56 AM.
    Retired Raider of <-Virus@Deepwood-> & <-Forsaken@Seastone->
    Guyhax@YoMommasHouse
    #1 Beer Pong Champion NA/EU

Quote Originally Posted by Guyjax View Post
    If you plan on killing anyone then you need to go full druid or full shaman. If you are R80 then make sure your wf has decent healers, and it wont be too bad. If you are not WL geared then you will need your own healbot to survive in melee.
    Such is life in game where melee is gimped. sigh. Well went back to my MM rogue, atleast I get freelancer bow soon.

pew pew.

todays shaman video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elueaYoSsrU
    last weeks druid video clickie

Im not really that good, but Ive been playing both specs since before in vanilla and play them both more than any other pvp cleric on my cluster so heres my opinions.

Druid.
    if you cant stay in range, we need to talk
    you have the teleport from druid, this gives you a 50% speed burst, so you dont really NEED a 20% snare when you are moving at 50% speed. if you spec for pvp, dont use the pve spec and take stuff like inquisitor or defieler or whatever they use in pve. spec into shaman so you can get the 2nd charge ability. between the 2 gap closers on 15 sec cooldown and a 5 sec run speed im pretty much capeable of getting to where I need to. and if I cant get to you, I dont understand what you people are talking about "poor" disconnects. your pet should always be nuking your target. dont use the melee pet in pvp, it may be better for pvE but this isnt a dps race against a dummy, this is pvp. Use ranged pet so she is constant damage on your target and put fae barrage on your hotbar so you can control when its used, not her. its 2k burst, hello.
    anyway, between the dot your insta DD and the 2 debuffs that both you and your bet can set off, the damage should be ok for the 5 second window that exists between you being on target and getting back to them. and lets not forget the pull. the ultimare lets get first blood in a warfront skill. Im praying this wont get nerfed anytime soon, but a 15 sec cooldown for a max range pull on a class that can kill you is a bit much I feel at times.

Shaman. the snare is my best friend. but you then have the run speed and the charge. I love its ability to move via the speed . it gets me out of lots of bad situations and also allows you to catch up to the group when you lag behind baiting a rogue to pop out of stealth and keel dem!

Love both specs currently.

just to be wild, I may try out
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree.j...5BA8/lv5h958aE
    How much do you HATE BISHOPX?
    Warrior video (july)
    Newest shaman PvP video
    Enjoy the GREATEST HITS

I am trying out Sham/Puri 61/15 and Sham/Druid/inq 51/24/2. Going 61 in Sham gives you that improved GCD, which is awesome, but putting 24 in druid gives me another melee strike, another closer, and a fairy healer that isn't great, but helps. So far I am not sure which I like the best, but losing that improved GCD is really painful, so I am not entirely sure if it is worth it.

+ Reply to Thread