+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By usman

Thread: Help with Inquisitor

Soulwalker

Default Help with Inquisitor

I did Kaliban in GA with my guild the other day and thought I did pretty good but the raid leader told me that my DPS was terrible and that someone else in my raid did significantly more DPS. I tried telling him it was cause of a gear but he wouldn't listen to it.

I've read Ahov's guide so I'm fairly confident I know what I'm doing so I'm pretty sure it's cause of gear.

Here's a parse of it: http://i.imgur.com/liZkTs6.png - the fight length was about 3:39 and I did about 16k DPS, which is way higher than I usually do.

Am I right and it's a gear issue?

Well I've seen far worse DPS.

A decent Inquisitor in raid gear should be able to stay above 20k DPS throughout the Kaliban fight. What sort of gear do you have? It's possible that's the case as your damage numbers could be higher. I can't give you a definite answer because I tend to look at the DPS of individual skills rather than the raw damage per hit... bad habit of mine. And that parse doesn't help me out. ^^

I assume you were using all consumables too?

Cleric 4/4 Hardmodes 4/4 FT 5/5 EE 4/4 GA
    Twitch Stream

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Sikph View Post
    Well I've seen far worse DPS.

A decent Inquisitor in raid gear should be able to stay above 20k DPS throughout the Kaliban fight. What sort of gear do you have? It's possible that's the case as your damage numbers could be higher. I can't give you a definite answer because I tend to look at the DPS of individual skills rather than the raw damage per hit... bad habit of mine. And that parse doesn't help me out. ^^

I assume you were using all consumables too?
    Thanks. I asked the guild logger for an ACT parse: http://i.imgur.com/jkI7Mjj.png

I guess I did better than I thought and Hypatia has something weird with ending combat.

My DPS gear isn't all that great. I used to tank in my old guild so all I got were the drops people didn't want. I have a relic main hand and epic off hand, the rest are random raid drops and mark gear except trinket and a ring. My sigil is probably the worst since all I have are the old DRR essences since I prioritized getting tank essences first. And yes, I was using consumables.

This ACT breakdown highlights some area that you can work on improving,

Firstly, you should be aiming to keep scourge and vex up almost all the time, they both tick 10 times in 15 seconds, and your encounter lasted for 200 seconds (204 but 200 is easy) so you should have in the region of 130 ticks for each of these spells, however you only have 42 and 74 ticks, fix this and you'll gain DPS.

Secondly, Darkwater and Darkness. Darkness also ticks 10 times in 15 seconds, however we must clip the final tick, and perhaps the final 2 ticks if playing it safe with travel time from range on Kaliban. So eash cast of darkwater should be worth 8 ticks if I'm being generous, less 2 casts for building the stacks at the start. You made 25 casts of darkwater for only 95 ticks of darkness. I suspect you let it drop off several times and then spammed it to rebuild the stacks though only you will know what happened for sure, either way round there is alot of room for improvement here as well.

Thirdly, I would expect to see roughly 2 casts of BoD per 15s of fighting, in this case over 200s, i'd expect to see about 26 BoD's but you only made 16.

As a final note, from the ACT parse we can see that you used 55x BoJ, 4xNR, 16xBoD, 16xBoR, 8xVex, 6x Scourge, 25xDW, 12x SH and 1x MH, this accounts for 151 seconds of actions taken, but the fight was 204 seconds long, so 25% of the time was spent not casting spells. With lag and other consideration I'd expect this to be somewhere between 5-10% of the encounter duration on 'lost time' but not 25%.

So considering all these points, I would say that your gear is not letting you down, and you have plenty of room to improve on your inquisitor.

Hope this helps you out.
    Ambi - Cleric - Apotheosys.

^Agreed with Ambi.
    Also, make sure you know that when your Scourge and Vex are displaying "0s", that doesn't mean it has dropped off yet. If you refresh during that time you are likely to be clipping the last tick of damage on your dots.

To add to that and as a general rule you should adjust your dpsing according to the individual encounter.

Note: I've been defiler on Kaliban rather than Inq, but since I've experienced the encounter several times the below should still apply for Inq:

For Kaliban for instance he does Crushing Silence which you can Break Free out of. However, you won't have Break Free up for every second Crushing Silence so during that time make sure you check your Darkness stacks. His Crushing Silence cast is 5 seconds before everyone gets silenced for 3 seconds. Therefore, make sure that you refresh your Darkness stacks just before Crushing Silence finishes casting IF it will drop off before Silence wears off on you when you don't have Break Free available.
    (Not sure if Perseverance works but if it does you should have it up prior to pull. It's on a 2min CD so if your Break Free won't be up during the next Crushing Silence but Perseverance is, you should pop it. Since it isn't a damaging ability it will have a 1.5sec GCD, but that's still better than a 3sec silence. Make sure if you do use it that you cast it at yourself or else it may be cast on the tank instead.).

Also, the less movement the better. Practice taking the least amount of movement as possible for Soul Shatter. It's a good idea to know exactly where all the boulders are and plan your movement ahead of time. Since there's no AoE you need to worry about other than Swirling Flames (if the person doing Boulders is doing their job correctly), you should have plenty of time to pay attention to boulder placement.
    This will help lessen the amount of time you're spamming BoJ due to movement, potentially increasing your dps.

In general I recommend using Judicial Privilege and Charged Mirrors during movement phases of any boss encounter (except where the raid needs to remain stacked). So when you get Soul Shatter or Gaze, pop a +movement speed ability to reduce the time you are on-the-move.

After Gaze he will gain a debuff for 10seconds where he will take increased damage. Not 100% sure if this is a dps gain or not, but it might be beneficial to not refresh your dots (except darkness) during these 10 seconds.
    I'm not 100% sure on this though because I don't know if all ticks of, say, Scourge will benefit from the debuff after the debuff wears off. If they don't benefit from it, it might be better to concentrate on using Nysyr's Rebuke, BoD, BoR and BoJ.
    You could also look at using a Spell Crit Pot during the debuff to help milk out that extra dps.

+ Reply to Thread