Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Vetheax
  • 2 Post By Primalthirst
  • 1 Post By TadaceAce
  • 1 Post By Trasgress

Thread: Tank or spank?

Soulwalker

Default Tank or spank?

So I just got level 60 yesterday and now I got to decide wich way I want to build my Cleric, I enjoy DPSing in this game more than tanking so far though, don't know how it is in hard content. I raided in LotRO for years and pretty much only tanked because I found DPS mind-numbingly boring, but in this game it's quite more complicated and fun.

So I would much rather try building my gear towards DPS, but few threads got me worried in here. I did a little research on raiding with Cleric and most threads I found people were saying that Clerics were only good for healing and sometimes maybe tanking, but definately not for DPS in raids. I'm wondering is our DPS really that bad or skilled player can still have a spot in raids as Cleric DPS.

Clerics:

Senti: not really used in raids, I've seen it done but not often
    Warden: This is a must have
    Puri: It's getting nerfed soon otherwise its good
    Defiler: People argue that its useless due to Necro links
    Inquisi: Your best DPS spec that's ranged
    Cabalist: AoE soul - not used often
    Druid: Melee DPS - easy to play
    Shaman: Melee DPS - harder
    Justicar: Arguably the best tank spec in game

I helped my friend get a new spec when I was over at his house, and made him a new Inquisitor spec (61 Inquisi/10 Cab/5 Defiler). Stats: 5000 SP, 2000 SP, 300 CP. I made the spec and tested it: I pulled 11k on the first parse, screwing things up.

Justicar has great AoE tanking potential, although I find Justicar tanking boring versus rogue and warrior tanking. Although that's my opinion.
    Last edited by Fragasm; 08-18-2013 at 05:16 AM.
    The only way that someone from Cluster 2 is actually as bad as you all say is if they started playing this game in 2.3 (Free to Play launch).

Proud officer and Mage class lead of <Zombies>

Telaran

Any skilled player can use any calling and do raid viable dps.

That being said shaman dps holds the current highest parse in the game to my knowledge

Inq got buffed in hotfix...13 i believe. sitting at around 5k sp and 500 cp i can easily pull 14k+ self buffed and around ~18k with raid buffs/cd's.

To answer the question, yes, cleric dps is viable.

On a tangent, Not sure why everyone thinks puri is getting nerfed. Has anyone actually tested the shield stacking? 30k shields, an awesome aoe heal, mobility, better tank heals etc, for 14 raid shields sounds like a decent tradeoff to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetheax View Post
    On a tangent, Not sure why everyone thinks puri is getting nerfed. Has anyone actually tested the shield stacking? 30k shields, an awesome aoe heal, mobility, better tank heals etc, for 14 raid shields sounds like a decent tradeoff to me.
    Indeed. It's an odd thing to say. Not to mention that it's far far more enjoyable to play.

Soulwalker

There are a few factors to think about. First what you enjoy more, tank or dps. Second is depending on the guild you get into. Do they need a cleric tank or a backup? Not every raid fight is dependent on a cleric to tank, or even a good fight for a cleric to tank. It seems like a lot to try and build two sets of gear, but it will be worth it to be well rounded with all aspects, even heals if needed.

My advice is to start with the one you enjoy most, and keep in practice with the other incase you are needed.
    Last edited by Helloonurse; 08-18-2013 at 07:44 AM.

Let's not forget: Tanking is a skill. DPS is a skill, too, but a different one.

Personally, I find DPS's difficulty is in maximal rotation with minimal clipping. It's getting the right button pressed at the right time, every single time, while not standing in poo.

Tanking's difficulty is in situational awareness, "feeling" your health trend to sense when your healer is overwhelmed vs. managing, and using CDs accordingly, and managing positioning and abilities to keep your raid from getting eaten.

Healing, also, has its own set of skills, primarily for me is the constant triage mode and need to make frequent split-second decisions, particularly when raid healing.

All can be fun, according to player taste, and all can be a challenge, according to player skill.

Do what you enjoy. The great joy of Rift in general and Cleric in particular is that you can have one toon and change up what you want to do, based on mood or what-not.

Telaran

go tank its more fun and instant que
    dps takes 2 hrs to que.
    only upside is dps shares EQ with healer so u can gear both spec up at once. unless u wanna wait 2 hrs to get into a dungeon i suggest going tank. easier to gear too no competition. tank is harder to play tho but so much more fun. and u can help raid heal while tanking too.

when tanking ur the leader of the pack. u dictate the pace of the game. u pull when u want to pull u pull as many as u want/handle. i played all the specs and so far none has gotten close to tank in terms of funness. dps is the boringest of the 3 specs. dps race to see who has a bigger epeen. healing is 2nd funnest cuz everything is a reaction. whereas dps is doing the same thing over and over and over again. apply dots > filler > finisher > refresh dot > filler > finisher. tanking is also reactionary too.

tank > healer > dps in terms of fun
    Last edited by Etherial; 08-18-2013 at 02:16 PM.

Soulwalker

Thanks all for the answers, decided to go for tanking first I'll work on getting world tanking gear and then start working on expert DPS/healer. Should be the fastest way to go easier to get into dungeons. Though coming from playing a Warden in LotRO Cleric tanking is a bit basic and boring compared Warden, though haven't faced anything hard so far too, I still like tanking just for tanking so it's still going to be fun.

Thanks again for answers!

Personally I find playing Justicar quite boring vs tanking on my Warrior, but that's just me. Right now Shaman is the best DPS spec in the game and Inquisitor is close to, if not the best ranged DPS spec in the game, anyone who tells you otherwise is very wrong.
    Nope.

Why not both? Get dps gear with your stones and marks first and grab any tank gear that drops in experts. Build yourself a separate tank focus and before long you'll have enough hp to tank experts and the dps gear to heal or dps.

When it comes to raiding people kind of have to choose one or the other, but there really is no excuse to not be able to play all roles in an expert.

Rift Disciple

Itīs a hard life being a cleric sometimes, but i would encourage people to get both dps and tanking sets with seperate dps and tanking sigils ofcourse.

Takes longer/more playtime , ALOT more actually to get fully geared for both roles but its so worth it (unless you have very limited playtime, then only focus on one aspect at a time)

You need ALOT of stones/plat/stuff to fully gear for two roles :P
    <Addiction>
    Trasgress - Greybriar - #1 Cleric Tank - How to Inquis in pvp

+ Reply to Thread