+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Are clerics overplayed to a point to where it is "unfun" to play them?

Soulwalker

Default Are clerics overplayed to a point to where it is "unfun" to play them?

I want to make another character. I love to heal and love dungeons and raids. But I have hit a standstill on what class to make.

Clerics have more variety in healing but from what my guild was saying, they are so overplayed you will never get into raids lategame because they will already have too many clerics. And in dungeons there will be so many clerics you wont get any gear.

Mages seem fun but they are still played highly and they are limited to 1 healing playstyle which required a lot of activity.

My real question here is not about which one is a better healer, by the time i hit max level and raid ready everything will change. If 1 healer is clearly better at mostly everything, it will be changed.

My question is just wondering if i will be hindered in any way for playing the most played class?

Sword of Telara Chancellor Gowron's Avatar

Rogue is and has always been the most played class.

Champion of Telara

No, because there are so many horrible clerics out there that you'd wish you had one available that you could play. I've never once regretted maining cleric.

Quote Originally Posted by Soboboo View Post
    No, because there are so many horrible clerics out there that you'd wish you had one available that you could play. I've never once regretted maining cleric.
    ^ This.

Unless you are actually terrible, then there will be a guild for you. Heh, I'm sure even if you were terrible you could still find a group of bads to raid with .

Rift Chaser

Clerics as most overplayed? I don't think your guild mates really know what they are talking about. From my own experience at least, clerics are probably the least common class. Rogues and mages are super common though.
    Last edited by THEFUNKBOT; 08-12-2013 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chancellor Gowron View Post
    Rogue is and has always been the most played class.
    For shame! Making assumptions! Sure there are a lot of us but I see FAR more clerics than rogues in Telara.

@OP

Perhaps tanking is your calling, hmm? I find the most fun class to be the Riftstalker, seamlessly zooming back and forth between targets in a fraction of a second, becoming nigh unkillable and overall incredibly fun

Nyz
    Soulwalker

warriors are so underplayed that its not even mentioned...

Clerics are the least played class in RIFT by quite fair margin. There are many reasons for this, that would take too long to cover.

Your guild is giving you bad advise though. Might want to find another one.

I do see clerics around, but I certainly don't think they are overplayed. If you're good you are bound to find a raid spot in a good guild. I don't really see an abundance of Clerics in dungeons although there's generally more Clerics than the other classes. That would mainly be as a result of their ability to queue all 4 roles (although their 'support' is in healing/dps, not buffs). That may change in 3.0 when every class can do all 4 roles.

It's said often enough, but it bears repeating - Play the class/es that are enjoyable for you to play. The rest such as raid spots/etc will follow through from there.

Sword of Telara Chancellor Gowron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kleeborp View Post
    Sure there are a lot of us but I see FAR more clerics than rogues in Telara.
    That's because most of them are stealthed

Telaran

My theory is that the fun factor dies in most classes, because they begint o bottle neck as one goes up, as a byproduct of the way Rift was designed (souls over classes, numeric over lore), which renders most soul combinations quite situational. This leaves very few souls as both fun and useful, whereas a class system enforces both, or no one would play said class.

In other words, this is how the game is designed as a concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadae View Post
    My theory is that the fun factor dies in most classes, because they begint o bottle neck as one goes up, as a byproduct of the way Rift was designed (souls over classes, numeric over lore), which renders most soul combinations quite situational. This leaves very few souls as both fun and useful, whereas a class system enforces both, or no one would play said class.

In other words, this is how the game is designed as a concept.

This is quite true. I like the design of the saboteur class because I enjoy making things explode, the problem is however, that it's terrible and no one uses it.

The majority of pug, or dungeon finder, groups are at least 3 clerics. Maybe that is what people who are claiming they are overplayed are seeing.

Rift Disciple

I think skill, as in all MMO's, will win out and if you are a good player then people will find a place for you. I suspect you are being told that Clerics are too common for random groups which is partly down to the fact they can do pretty much all roles, and therefore you have a higher likelihood of getting a dps, support, tank and healer all being cleric...for a set raid group however then you earn your place based on merit, and that won't make any difference if there are a tonne more Clerics around as long as you show you are better in a group than they are (not just if you are better skill wise, but if you are a good player to have along - i.e. not a total ****** or loot-*****).

Yea. Don't listen to your guildmates, OP. Play what you think is fun and the rest will come. You'll never perform as well on a class you don't like as you would on a class you love.

All classes are capable of pulling similar numbers when built properly. What sets them apart is the overall feel and how the player performs in different situations.

One of the things I love about this game is it doesn't suffer as much from flavor-of-the-month issues the way certain other MMO's do

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast