+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tanking Greater Essences

Default Tanking Greater Essences

I happen to get the air greater to drop of a SH the other day and put together my relic greater (174 endurance on proc) which seems a natural fit for my cleric tank. Are the others 2.3 greaters worth using over a bar full of the lessers?

The shield greater looks interesting. Does it have stacking issues with other shields?

Appreciate the input from you vets.

Rift is the Rachael of Bladerunner, we can never know exactly how long it will live, but it will burn so bright whilst it does.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Sofie View Post
    Are the others 2.3 greaters worth using over a bar full of the lessers?
    With Torvan venerated, you can combine certain lessers with the new greaters. This allows you to retain the stats of the lesser and gain the proc off the greater. You don't need to trade off, it just requires rep and more IS. This makes the resulting essence a greater, so you can still only have 2 in the same sigil.
    Last edited by Bonemend; 08-08-2013 at 06:02 AM.

I had already looked at this, but thank you for the link. I did have a brain cramp though in that I forgot we are limited to two greaters in our sigil.

I am still curious, though about which I should pursue for a second slot. The earth essence that procs a shield seems the best bet, (it scores the highest and mitigates damage) but does it have a stacking issue (ie purifier shields)? The second highest scored procs a heal, but seems redundant since I should be receiving heals while tanking.

What are you folks using?

No answers forthcoming sadly, but I did talk to a couple tanks yesterday. One of them actually advocated using two of the endurance proc greaters . . .

would love to know about that shield proc and whether it causes problems with other shields.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Sofie View Post
    No answers forthcoming sadly, but I did talk to a couple tanks yesterday. One of them actually advocated using two of the endurance proc greaters . . .

would love to know about that shield proc and whether it causes problems with other shields.
    I haven't seen anyone use two of the endurance greaters so I can't speak to that but I wouldn't assume that they stack (I have heard that Charred doesn't stack). Using two of them would mean using either the Rogue or the Warrior greaters.
    The earth greater has no conflicts with shielding from other sources.

Soulwalker

I use the life and air relic greaters (HoT & end procs respectively). The air one does not seem to proc nearly as often as I would like.

You definitely want an Air Greater, your second choice should be an Earth Greater. Both the Life and Earth procs are pretty much useless, but the Earth one is slightly less useless so go with that.
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    You definitely want an Air Greater, your second choice should be an Earth Greater. Both the Life and Earth procs are pretty much useless, but the Earth one is slightly less useless so go with that.
    Double air would be ideal (for more consistent uptime), but only rogues and warriors get to do it.
    Hedonism (Deepwood)

Telaran

Double air is only ideal if the boss in question can actually proc the effect (Regulos, for instance, can't.) The shielding greater is decent. It mitigates a substantial amount of damage over a fight, and since it procs based off attacks you do, it will always work. The heal on block/deflect has the same problem as the endurance proccing greater in that some encounters you simply do not block or deflect a ******* thing (at least anything important).

TL;DR - 174 Endurance/Shield Proc are the best duo for all purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggz View Post
    Double air is only ideal if the boss in question can actually proc the effect (Regulos, for instance, can't.) The shielding greater is decent. It mitigates a substantial amount of damage over a fight, and since it procs based off attacks you do, it will always work. The heal on block/deflect has the same problem as the endurance proccing greater in that some encounters you simply do not block or deflect a ******* thing (at least anything important).

TL;DR - 174 Endurance/Shield Proc are the best duo for all purposes.
    From all my testing the Earth Greater proc was only ever a little over ~100 HPS equivalent, which is for all intents and purposes irrelevant. You have to also consider that the Earth Greater only increases EHP for 1 attack every proc, which is ~12-18s on average depending on spec, the Air Greater increases EHP for every attack for 15s, which is substantially better.

As a Rogue or especially Cleric it can be a decent move, although I would still argue Rogues go for double Air. Using an Earth Greater is definitely a bad idea as a Warrior though, since your Earth Lesser has 10 End less than Rogue Air Lesser, so you're losing over 230 HP before you even consider the procs.
    Last edited by Primalthirst; 08-13-2013 at 06:50 AM.
    Nope.

Pretty sure that the air greater only procs from auto attack damage and since many bosses either spam ability's or have no auto attack at all the proc rate when you need it most is very bad. This really should be addressed by the devs and fixed so that all incoming damage and proc the effect.

Right now I'd be very tempted to ignore greaters, also simply stack the 6 lessers with the highest endurance, even using 1 or 2 warriors ones.
    Ambi - Cleric - Apotheosys.

+ Reply to Thread