+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Relatively new to clerics

Default Relatively new to clerics

Just a quick question, I can't say I'm "new" to Rift, the last time I played was 1.8 so it's been a while.

I've tried all the callings up until about 20 or so to get an idea of what Id like to do, and I remember the old "Duracell" Cleric I used, and after trying the other callings,I'm still in love with the cleric dps souls, particularly Shaman, Inq, and Justicar.

My main question is how often will I be asked/required to heal in dungeons/raids? I honestly don't enjoy it and honestly Im not very great at it, but I enjoy the cleric's dps souls more than the other callings, will I be turned away for not wanting to heal?

* I dont mind supporting with heals, but I dont enjoy being the main healer

Edit : The question also applies to dps in dungeons/raids,is the dps from shaman/inq or tanking with Justicar wanted enough to justify not healing?
    Last edited by Aeltharos; 08-06-2013 at 09:38 PM.

Simple answer is yes, you will sometimes be asked. But I've got by as a main Cleric DPS for a long time and as long as you put out the numbers, nobody can complain.

Cleric 4/4 Hardmodes 4/4 FT 5/5 EE 4/4 GA
    Twitch Stream

Quote Originally Posted by Aeltharos View Post
    Just a quick question, I can't say I'm "new" to Rift, the last time I played was 1.8 so it's been a while.

I've tried all the callings up until about 20 or so to get an idea of what Id like to do, and I remember the old "Duracell" Cleric I used, and after trying the other callings,I'm still in love with the cleric dps souls, particularly Shaman, Inq, and Justicar.

My main question is how often will I be asked/required to heal in dungeons/raids? I honestly don't enjoy it and honestly Im not very great at it, but I enjoy the cleric's dps souls more than the other callings, will I be turned away for not wanting to heal?

* I dont mind supporting with heals, but I dont enjoy being the main healer

Edit : The question also applies to dps in dungeons/raids,is the dps from shaman/inq or tanking with Justicar wanted enough to justify not healing?
    It mostly comes down to your guild, and your ability to pull good DPS numbers.

I'm in your exact situation, I've been MT of my guild previously and now i'm a DPS main. No one asks me to heal

(mostly because I really really suck at it)

but as a general rule of thumb, if you can tank, people will accept that as a valid excuse not to heal since it is usually the more in-demand role. Also, if you can pull good DPS numbers you won't have to worry at all.

in dungeons, you get to choose your role so you can choose to be DPS or tank and no one will bat an eye, plus tanks get the fastest queues.

The only area you'll have problems in is PVP where undergeared noobs will expect you to be a heal bich for them while they run in circles LoS'ing you at every opportunity they usually shut up though if they see you higher on the scoreboard then them...

Soulwalker

Though clerics are fine dungeon healers, chloros currently are more common. If you decide to queue as a dps or support, you may have a longer wait, however.
    If you choose to raid frequently, versatility will be a big asset. For that reason, I would suggest learning a healing role. Recently, clerics have undergone a dps change and are now more viable as pure dps roles in raid content, but there may be times where healing is an issue and the mages/clerics are expected to be able to change to adapt in many cases.

That being said...
    If you choose to go with dps roles only, you will be fine, but having another role in your back pocket could mean the difference between a 2 or 20 minute queue, or whether or not you attend a successful raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonemend View Post
    Though clerics are fine dungeon healers, chloros currently are more common. If you decide to queue as a dps or support, you may have a longer wait, however.
    If you choose to raid frequently, versatility will be a big asset. For that reason, I would suggest learning a healing role. Recently, clerics have undergone a dps change and are now more viable as pure dps roles in raid content, but there may be times where healing is an issue and the mages/clerics are expected to be able to change to adapt in many cases.

That being said...
    If you choose to go with dps roles only, you will be fine, but having another role in your back pocket could mean the difference between a 2 or 20 minute queue, or whether or not you attend a successful raid.
    I'm willing to learn to play a main healer,I just wanted to know if I would be turned away or something if I didnt prefer to heal. I'll naturally prefer to dps/tank but I'm ok with learning to heal just in case.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Aeltharos View Post
    I'm willing to learn to play a main healer,I just wanted to know if I would be turned away or something if I didnt prefer to heal. I'll naturally prefer to dps/tank but I'm ok with learning to heal just in case.
    In most situations, you won't be turned away just because you prefer to dps and not heal. It all boils down to whether or not you can put up competitive numbers. I prefer to heal, but I'm dps 90% of the time, so it can go either way.

+ Reply to Thread