+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ClericLouise

Thread: Returning player here: What's a good spec for melting faces in PVP as cleric?

Soulwalker

Default Returning player here: What's a good spec for melting faces in PVP as cleric?

I know many clerics (and mages on rift) are often used as healers but trust me on this one, you don't want me as a PVP heals on either mage or cleric. I suck at it as I always wants to get the kill.
    I do well enough as pve heals though.

Default Melting Faces

With Clerics in PvP, it has been a little tough in the DPS department. This is mainly due to the fact that, as a whole, Clerics get their best DPS with DoTs and/or Wait-and-Burn abilities. As such, in PvP, by the time you cast your DoTs or hit someone with a spell that, say, does good damage only AFTER 6 seconds, your "prey" will have either been killed outright by another or the healers have cleansed/purged your attacks. This cripples a lot of Cleric PvP builds. The "spammable" face-melter that you can try, which will have varied success, will be the Inquisitor Build. Inqs have some pretty damn power attacks and when you have enough points (26) to put into Unified Theory, every attack with Life Based Damage (Bolt of Judgement and Sanction Heretic being the big ones) will stack a Cast-Time Lowering buff for your Big-***-Gun Bolt of Depravity. When you get 5 Stacks, it makes Depravity Instant.

The problem you may see, though, is that most of the Inq damaging spells are either Cast time or DoTs, meaning you have to stay still to Cast and can be interrupted frequently. This can be tough at higher levels with the freaking interrupt spammers.

But if you can tough it out or get some good healers and shielders on your team, you can knock people the hell out without them seeing it coming (Sanc Heretic, Bolt of Judgement x 4, InstaCast Bolt of Depravity will knock people the **** out).

As the Inq tree goes up, it becomes a PvP Juggernaught in a DPS sense AND support sense. You get an AoE Fear, an amazing 20s speed boost, an instant AoE DoT spell (effective for ANY Warfront as it keeps enemies off any points they are trying to take) a decent interrupt, and some DoTs that hit ****ing hard but only last for 3 seconds so it's rare that they can cleanse EVERY thing.

Again, this isn't the best face-melter, gotta hit PyroMage for that, but your utility and power as you level becomes more and more beneficial to Warfronts.

Telaran

while the above is true there are some builds that allow really nice burst(if it isnt purged) e.g a 38defiler/36cabalist build where you use curse of discord for the +10% damage marrow harvest-tyranny of death-disintegration( marrow harvest will proc a second or 2 after disintegration+tod) this can let you drop people on equal gear to 50% health.

its important to note that this has a 4 GCD setup time which is pretty long but its good at taking out people who are being focus fired to 50%~ but not killed due to healing

(keep obliterate on for ST)

The other option is 61druid/8shaman using fae mimicry - combined effort - resounding blow- massive blow - essence strike for huge burst but keeping an enemy in range for a full combo is hard because you have no crowd control

Quote Originally Posted by heartoftheforce View Post
    while the above is true there are some builds that allow really nice burst(if it isnt purged) e.g a 38defiler/36cabalist build where you use curse of discord for the +10% damage marrow harvest-tyranny of death-disintegration( marrow harvest will proc a second or 2 after disintegration+tod) this can let you drop people on equal gear to 50% health.

its important to note that this has a 4 GCD setup time which is pretty long but its good at taking out people who are being focus fired to 50%~ but not killed due to healing

(keep obliterate on for ST)

The other option is 61druid/8shaman using fae mimicry - combined effort - resounding blow- massive blow - essence strike for huge burst but keeping an enemy in range for a full combo is hard because you have no crowd control
    Couldn't agree more with the Def/Cab build, and, to add on to my previous comment, you would want Cabalist as the secondary fill role for your Inq for the DoT Dmg boost (especially if you do not have SL Souls) and have Justicar as the empty soul just to heal yourself for all the damage you do. As for the Druid/Sham build, I absolutely love the build, but the issue here is that every freaking character has ranged, including freaking Warriors and Stealth rogues!! so staying where you need to be for the Druid spec is difficult

Soulwalker

Thanks, I will give that a try.

Rift Disciple

The spec that currently melts faces is pyro.

Highest burst in the game while having a forever-long non-breaking root and a port that breaks all CC.

If you want to melt faces, get a pocket healer and roll a pyro.

Quote Originally Posted by idraofrift View Post
    I know many clerics (and mages on rift) are often used as healers but trust me on this one, you don't want me as a PVP heals on either mage or cleric. I suck at it as I always wants to get the kill.
    I do well enough as pve heals though.
    o gawd not another one
    Retired Raider of <-Virus@Deepwood-> & <-Forsaken@Seastone->
    Guyhax@YoMommasHouse
    #1 Beer Pong Champion NA/EU

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Guyjax View Post
    o gawd not another one
    hahahaha, winner.
    Zipi @ Greybriar
    <Mutiny>

Sword of Telara Chancellor Gowron's Avatar

Shaman and Druid both have some ridiculous burst potential that will make even fully geared players check their combat log.

I'm not even r70 yet so I have the merc weapon and I hit a full warlord cleric in a WF for 12k in druid spec with massive blow buffed by both resounding blow and fae mimicry. The hardest I've seen it hit is 14k.

With full shaman you can have a huge reliable burst every 1 min with both deep freeze and the auto crit ability. A typical burst with those up is like a 6.5k massive blow and a 5.5k combined effort hitting at almost exactly the same time, but I've seen massive blow hit as high as 9k in a WF on a mage. A better burst is probably possible, but I usually can only get in 2 buffed hits during the 3 seconds of deep freeze.

If someone expects the burst it's pretty easy to avoid though (like flicker as soon as you get stun by deep freeze), and theres a long CD so you usually don't get another shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Chancellor Gowron View Post
    Shaman and Druid both have some ridiculous burst potential that will make even fully geared players check their combat log.

I'm not even r70 yet so I have the merc weapon and I hit a full warlord cleric in a WF for 12k in druid spec with massive blow buffed by both resounding blow and fae mimicry. The hardest I've seen it hit is 14k.

With full shaman you can have a huge reliable burst every 1 min with both deep freeze and the auto crit ability. A typical burst with those up is like a 6.5k massive blow and a 5.5k combined effort hitting at almost exactly the same time, but I've seen massive blow hit as high as 9k in a WF on a mage. A better burst is probably possible, but I usually can only get in 2 buffed hits during the 3 seconds of deep freeze.

If someone expects the burst it's pretty easy to avoid though (like flicker as soon as you get stun by deep freeze), and theres a long CD so you usually don't get another shot.
    Yes both Druid and Shaman have good bursts, but you also need reliable healers since you'll need to be soaking heals to be useful.
    Retired Raider of <-Virus@Deepwood-> & <-Forsaken@Seastone->
    Guyhax@YoMommasHouse
    #1 Beer Pong Champion NA/EU

Champion of Telara

Yes both Druid and Shaman have good bursts, but you also need reliable healers since you'll need to be soaking heals to be useful.
    Druids far superior to Shaman unfortunately.

Plane Touched

PvP with Druid and fairy healer pet. 1v1, this gets me the best results. Great burst, and good heals. Of course its a rare occasion it actually stays 1v1...

Quote Originally Posted by Multimax View Post
    The spec that currently melts faces is pyro.

Highest burst in the game

Try a well executed Shaman rollover attack

edit: It can kill people in 2 or 3 globals in "all stars aligned" scenarios, and will often take a non healed player down in 4 global cooldowns - mind you these globals are 0,5 second shorter already when playing 61 sham

so I disagree that pyro's have the highest burst in the game
    Last edited by ClericLouise; 08-16-2013 at 06:55 AM.
    Tushy@Volan R80
    Founder of <Moral Decay> looking to become competitive in Warfront Premades
    Message Tushy@Volan for information

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ClericLouise View Post
    Try a well executed Shaman rollover attack

edit: It can kill people in 2 or 3 globals in "all stars aligned" scenarios, and will often take a non healed player down in 4 global cooldowns - mind you these globals are 0,5 second shorter already when playing 61 sham

so I disagree that pyro's have the highest burst in the game
    Burst isn't how many GCDs it takes. A pyro can have 20k damage land at the exact same moment, nearly instantly killing a player.

Shaman can't do that.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Multimax View Post
    Burst isn't how many GCDs it takes. A pyro can have 20k damage land at the exact same moment, nearly instantly killing a player.

Shaman can't do that.
    Not to mention a shaman has to be connected to their target for the full 3 seconds for the burst to be worth a damn. After having my target yanked by friendly warriors, myself yanked by enemy warriors, random knockbacks, crossfire(gg melee), multiple CC breaks on the classes you need to land the burst on(sent/pyro) and so on, it's just not worth it.

Druid can deliver their burst in 2x 1.5s GCDs within a 15s window every 30s, shaman can deliver their burst within a 3 second window every minute. 2x 1.5s GCDs from druid Resonating + Massive while combined is up generally does about the same damage(more either if crit, probably a 2 shot if both crit) as 3 GCDs of shaman during DF. Shaman needs (unattainable in PvP)crit power, druid doesn't. Shaman also lacks useful defensive CDs, suffers badly on disconnects(druid has a pull+pet) and has no way of forcing a break free on their target unless your target has break free in their spam macro.
    Last edited by Soboboo; 08-16-2013 at 02:42 PM.

+ Reply to Thread