+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Defiler Now

Default Defiler Now

What about to recent changes to dark water, to do 61 def, 10 caba 5 inq for dps increase?

Yup that works. Defiler becomes a mega dot spec. If it wasn't complicated enough already, here's your answer.

Cleric 4/4 Hardmodes 4/4 FT 5/5 EE 4/4 GA
    Twitch Stream

Considering links have been given to a mage soul, I wonder how many defilers will find this soul redundant. :/

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rarz View Post
    Considering links have been given to a mage soul, I wonder how many defilers will find this soul redundant. :/
    Defiler is hardly redundant as it continues to play a preferred role in many end game fights. As for Necro getting the 30% link? I play that on my alt... if the healer is not doing a great job on the tank - it hurts, I mean really hurts. Sure I can keep a tank alive for a little while in a crisis and likely reduce the healing load when things are going well, but imo Necro's 30% link will never replace a well played Defiler.
    Seon Ronpeth @ Leviathan
    <Perfect Balance>
    70WHM 70AST 70SCH 70SMN 70DRK 70BLM 70 RDM70 NIN70 DRG Disciple of Hand & Land

What Seonronpeth said. A Necro can be a substitute, but its one link instead of 4 and it doesn't have the burst healing capacity.

Dark Water makes a really nice addition to this spec. It provides the perfect instant cast spam spell for when you're on the move that Defiler really lacked. I did some parsing and the cast damage and initial dot tick are almost on par with casting Somatic Desecration. I wouldn't substitute it because you're losing out on all the other ticks of Darkness, but for when you're moving this spell is perfect. Easy refresh, good dps. No more dps pauses on fights like Salvarola beam phase.

Twitch Stream

I think it is refreshing to see Defiler included for its strengths in healing and DPS, and the personal strengths of whoever is playing it and working in combination with other healers, rather than required for links regardless of anything else. With the Cleric Support soul hopefully the same will be true of Bard.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    I think it is refreshing to see Defiler included for its strengths in healing and DPS, and the personal strengths of whoever is playing it and working in combination with other healers, rather than required for links regardless of anything else. With the Cleric Support soul hopefully the same will be true of Bard.
    Yeah, you could say that. But given the choice, I'd rather not play Defiler. I'd be quite happy to swap for some Necro's.

We only have 2 trusted Defilers in our guild capable of clearing GA, and I'm one of them. I would absolutely love to DPS, but I make the sacrifice so we can keep progressing and gearing up. At least with these changes I can push a little more damage. I wish Defilers had a higher crit rate so all my CP gear wasn't so useless for it.

I am looking forward to our support soul however. I'd really like to try out some hybrids with it.
    Last edited by Sikph; 08-05-2013 at 10:27 AM.

Twitch Stream

Champion of Telara

On the subject, is ToD a damage increase or a wasted GCD in the 61/10/5 defiler spec?

Quote Originally Posted by Patchkid View Post
    On the subject, is ToD a damage increase or a wasted GCD in the 61/10/5 defiler spec?
    In AoE it's worth it, but the ST damage is below all of our other attacks.

Twitch Stream

What spec are you using in GA progress etc?
    Sikph

10 Cab/5 Inq is the maximum single target DPS spec for 61 Defiler, though you may find 8 Cab/7 Inq more beneficial for the pushback immunity from Pursuit of Truth. You're likely to lose your husk a lot if you're purely focused on maxing your DPS.

To elaborate on Tyranny of Death, it's worth casting in place of Somatic Desecration as soon as there are two (or more) targets. It also outweighs Marrow Harvest in total damage once there are 3 targets. AoE priority is still to spread MH/SV/BoP with Unholy Nexus, then throw out Tyranny of Death on everything you can. Bear in mind that Tyranny doesn't do damage for 10 seconds or until the target dies, so you want to throw it on the weakest mobs first (and not the big guy you're probably spreading your DoTs from).

I suspect that for maximum AoE damage, your best bet is still 11 Warden/4 Inq for Tidal Surge -> Unholy Nexus -> Pain Transmission, or a 58 Defiler/17 Cabalist build for Tyranny spreading if you can get away with not having Unstable Transformation. It will depend on how melee friendly the fight is for Pain Transmission.

For (GA) progression, I'd still recommend 9 Inq/6 Sent for husk size, ease of rotation and burst healing capability.
    Last edited by Sheridyn; 08-05-2013 at 05:22 PM.
    Spence <Legit>

Shadowlander

Which points do you recommend in for that inq9/sent6 build?

nevermind, found it, http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zmsrnltqgkfRfuquRvVMMvVo
    Last edited by Murtdragon; 08-05-2013 at 10:42 PM.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Seonronpeth View Post
    Defiler is hardly redundant as it continues to play a preferred role in many end game fights. As for Necro getting the 30% link? I play that on my alt... if the healer is not doing a great job on the tank - it hurts, I mean really hurts. Sure I can keep a tank alive for a little while in a crisis and likely reduce the healing load when things are going well, but imo Necro's 30% link will never replace a well played Defiler.
    Exactly this. The Defiler lives because of Husk and the mitigated damage they take from the links. Necros...not so much.
    [CENTER]
    Cleric Tank - Trinity - 100k HP Club
    3/3 IG | 4/5 PB

Quote Originally Posted by Sikph View Post
    Yeah, you could say that. But given the choice, I'd rather not play Defiler. I'd be quite happy to swap for some Necro's.

We only have 2 trusted Defilers in our guild capable of clearing GA, and I'm one of them. I would absolutely love to DPS, but I make the sacrifice so we can keep progressing and gearing up. At least with these changes I can push a little more damage. I wish Defilers had a higher crit rate so all my CP gear wasn't so useless for it.

I am looking forward to our support soul however. I'd really like to try out some hybrids with it.
    In reading between the lines though Defiler seems to have been relegated to a "break glad in event of early progression" though. Kinda like what 51 Puri was in GSB and RoK. Is it good design to have a soul that has built in redundancy?

PS sorry for necroing the post (no pun intended) just curious.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Galibier View Post
    In reading between the lines though Defiler seems to have been relegated to a "break glad in event of early progression" though. Kinda like what 51 Puri was in GSB and RoK. Is it good design to have a soul that has built in redundancy?

PS sorry for necroing the post (no pun intended) just curious.
    I wouldn't go as far as labeling it redundant. The reason I'd rather play DPS is there's more friendly competition that way, which is something I really enjoy while raiding. Much like other support, Defiler is a solitary class during a raid, it helps everyone out, but you can't compare the output to others.

With this said, as much as this doesn't appeal to me, it could quite easily appeal to other people. It's a very unique soul to play around with, and as long as the quirks aren't lost on you, there's plenty of fun to be had.

I see what you mean with comparison to 51 Puri. Nobody really wanted to play it, but it was a vital component to smooth over mechanics that would otherwise wipe the tanks out. Nowadays however, there are a lot more healer cooldowns available to stop tanks dying, and tanks themselves have a lot of preventative abilities. A Defiler (or any other link-based soul) helps, there's no doubt about that, but it's not essential. Trion is still in the process of tweaking things so we have options, instead of having to rely on specific classes. Some people don't like the fact that all classes can do similar things, but I think the diversity and freedom is great. Play the game how you want, makes sense!

Ironically... I enjoyed being the 51 Puri back in the day. :P
    Last edited by Sikph; 08-28-2013 at 07:48 AM.

Twitch Stream

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast