+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Been a very long time, need some clarification on soul synergies

Default Been a very long time, need some clarification on soul synergies

Ok so it's been a verrryy long time since I've played and I've recently been trying a build that went really well for me back in the day, but it now seems completely useless!

Basically I combined inquisitor with sentinel (fairly similar to the classic inquistor/justicar build). It was around 48/18 (new tree system in mind) . Damage lacked a bit but it was awesomely fun in 1vs1's, great survival and very strong in duels. Unfortunately I now feel completely useless and my heals seem to do nothing!

Now I have a mild suspicion this has a lot to do with the changes to the sentinel tree (though I'm sure there were other relevant changes during my absence too). "Healing Invocation" now seems incredibly weak! Correct me if I'm wrong but you either go down the tree to get the replacement heal "Crucial Invocation" or you don't use it at all, as there seems very little point using such a weak heal at such a long cast speed.

I'm pretty sure when I used this ability before my health went up a fair bit, say 50-60%(considering its a long cast) and touch of light gave me a good boost of health every 45 seconds. The cast was so long I rarely used it without touch of light. With all the healing debuffs accessible in the game I thought this was fairly balanced...

It now currently heals for around 1.3k with my 6k hp pool, which is a very small amount, especially with the amount of healing debuffs there are. On top of this while I'm in a bg my health jumps up to 12k but my heals jump up to 1.8k?! Why the incredibly unbalanced scaling??!! It basically makes healing invocation unnoticeable and healing touch -> healing invocation completely pointless and a waste of talents.

So my conclusion is they've decided to make clerics focus solely on either range damage, melee damage or pure healing and very much disregarded specs that involve of a combination of the two. Am I right to assume this?

Now I'll try give a new spec a go, such as shaman (as I hear melee clerics have improved since the olden days) but I think its a shame that a build that combines both a healing tree and a damage tree has been completely neglected when you would think this would be a heavy focus of the cleric ideology.
    Last edited by Refuge; 08-04-2013 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Refuge View Post
    Ok so it's been a verrryy long time since I've played and I've recently been trying a build that went really well for me back in the day, but it now seems completely useless!

Basically I combined inquisitor with sentinel (fairly similar to the classic inquistor/justicar build). It was around 48/18 (new tree system in mind) . Damage lacked a bit but it was awesomely fun in 1vs1's, great survival and very strong in duels. Unfortunately I now feel completely useless and my heals seem to do nothing!

Now I have a mild suspicion this has a lot to do with the changes to the sentinel tree (though I'm sure there were other relevant changes during my absence too). "Healing Invocation" now seems incredibly weak! Correct me if I'm wrong but you either go down the tree to get the replacement heal "Crucial Invocation" or you don't use it at all, as there seems very little point using such a weak heal at such a long cast speed.

I'm pretty sure when I used this ability before my health went up a fair bit, say 50-60%(considering its a long cast) and touch of light gave me a good boost of health every 45 seconds. The cast was so long I rarely used it without touch of light. With all the healing debuffs accessible in the game I thought this was fairly balanced...

It now currently heals for around 1.3k with my 6k hp pool, which is a very small amount, especially with the amount of healing debuffs there are. On top of this while I'm in a bg my health jumps up to 12k but my heals jump up to 1.8k?! Why the incredibly unbalanced scaling??!! It basically makes healing invocation unnoticeable and healing touch -> healing invocation completely pointless and a waste of talents.

So my conclusion is they've decided to make clerics focus solely on either range damage, melee damage or pure healing and very much disregarded specs that involve of a combination of the two. Am I right to assume this?

Now I'll try give a new spec a go, such as shaman (as I hear melee clerics have improved since the olden days) but I think its a shame that a build that combines both a healing tree and a damage tree has been completely neglected when you would think this would be a heavy focus of the cleric ideology.
    Souls now all have an inherent gift based on the number of points put into the soul. That is why you see heals are very weak with only 18 points in Sentinel. It's a system to help prevent hybrids from becoming the only viable build as they often were before Storm Legion.

If you want to combine damage and healing the most effective ways are the souls designed for that, which are either Druid or Defiler. Druid works well with Justicar (see sig) and Defiler works well with Cabalist for soloing. Unfortunately I don't know much about what the best dueling specs are but full Inquisitor has the best burst and CC of any cleric spec.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 08-04-2013 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    Souls now all have an inherent gift based on the number of points put into the soul. That is why you see heals are very weak with only 18 points in Sentinel. It's a system to help prevent hybrids from becoming the only viable build as they often were before Storm Legion.

If you want to combine damage and healing the most effective ways are the souls designed for that, which are either Druid or Defiler. Druid works well with Justicar (see sig) and Defiler works well with Cabalist for soloing. Unfortunately I don't know much about what the best soloing specs are but full Inquisitor has the best burst and CC of any cleric spec.
    Thanks for the reply!

These gifts you refer to. I assume you mean "every point added in the tree adds 1% healing" etc. To be honest I forgot about this, but at the same time I thought that was always there! Was that new in Storm Legion? Or close to?

So basically they've focused on making certain souls hybrid within their own right, rather than combining souls to create a hybrid. Makes sense but I think it's a shame such experimentation has been completely destroyed. Yes hybrids were ideal in PvP *cough* inquisitor/justicar *cough*, but I think it's a shame to neglect it all together!

I'll have a look into your druid spec thanks!
    Last edited by Refuge; 08-04-2013 at 08:55 PM.

dbe
    General of Telara

I assume you mean "every point added in the tree adds 1% healing" etc. To be honest I forgot about this, but at the same time I thought that was always there! Was that new in Storm Legion?
    Yes, they were added in 1.11 which was the patch that extended trees to 61 points right before the launch of storm legion.

So basically they've focused on making certain souls hybrid within their own right, rather than combining souls to create a hybrid. Makes sense but I think it's a shame such experimentation has been completely destroyed.
    Basically they wanted to shut down specs that could do monster healing and damage in one spec because you took some cooldown or some ability that was used in a way they didn't anticipate. Very few builds now dip into "off" souls because the gifts are too valuable.

As the other poster said, both Druid and Defiler are designed to be hybrid souls, are good for soloing, and also qualify for support role in the dungeon finder.

Quote Originally Posted by dbe View Post
    Yes, they were added in 1.11 which was the patch that extended trees to 61 points right before the launch of storm legion.

Basically they wanted to shut down specs that could do monster healing and damage in one spec because you took some cooldown or some ability that was used in a way they didn't anticipate. Very few builds now dip into "off" souls because the gifts are too valuable.

As the other poster said, both Druid and Defiler are designed to be hybrid souls, are good for soloing, and also qualify for support role in the dungeon finder.

Very much appreciate the helpful feedback, thanks!

I do remember now what it was like before. It was something like after spending 51 points in the tree, every other point adds 1% or something, but considering it starts from point 1 now, the effects must be huge!

Ye, admittedly the specs were too strong (though anti-healing rogues still could face roll you :<), though I'm surprised at how useless they made them! Would have thought they could at least make them 'viable'. They kind of destroyed the fun of sharing points out in 2 varying trees (one being healing, one being damage).

In fact! And I'm going to say it, they did a WoW on the talent trees. One of the few things I thought rift wouldn't do considering their customizable talent model!

Oh well, I can only dwell on the past!

On the other hand, giving you access to a useless heal is pretty lame, having a heal further in a tree that replaces that useless heal is also pretty lame, and that dodgy scaling into bg's is also incredibly lame! Ok rant over.
    Last edited by Refuge; 08-05-2013 at 04:45 AM.

+ Reply to Thread