+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Justicar AoE Aggro

Telaran

Default Justicar AoE Aggro

I've been playing around and reading a bit about how other clerics manage initial AoE aggro against fast AoE classes (such as Shaman). So far I've just been using Hammer of Faith to grab the first bit of aggro and chain pull groups of mobs in Dungeons. However, Hammer of Faith only hits 5 enemies, and some pulls like the 6 mob pulls in Golem Foundry get a little shady because they're spread a bit.

Anyway, I'm wondering how other people who play Justicar handle difficult aoe pulls.

Justicar is the king of AoE tanking, you should never be having problems holding threat on large groups.

Are you running 61 Justicar, 6 Shaman, 6 Inq?
    Make sure all you're buffs are up.
    Mien of Leadership, Righteous Mandate, Vengeance of the Winter Storm, Armor of Treachery, Courage of the Bear.

Start Hammer of Fath
    Total Assurance -> Hammer of Faith
    Even Justice spam when you have 3-5 mobs in front of you.
    Censure when you have 5-10 mobs around you.

Reckoning & Bolt of Radiance for additional ranged threat or Doctrine of Authority at the start.

Another fun trick, thanks to Mien of Leadership all over healing counts as 100% threat. Throw out a few Doctrine of Loyalty/Bliss for large spread out fights.

Edit: Another gimmick is to use Reprieve. You give up our best cooldown but gain a massive threat boost at the start.
    Last edited by Heavens; 07-26-2013 at 12:52 AM.

Telaran

My main problem is in scenarios like raid rifts, where there are lots of mobs that I need to tank, including ranged mobs where Censure and Even Justice won't cut it. Especially having issues with initial aoe aggro pulls with 5+ mobs, where classes like Shaman have instant aoe burst, it feels like I have very slow building aoe aggro.

Telaran

In cases where you feel your threat isn't just cutting it, which should be rarely. You could always Total Assurance + DOL spam, normally 2 - 4 of these will pull aggro off all dps , and even other tanks, so if you do decided to try that, please use it responsibly :P

Altho, normally a TA + HoF Normally pulls all aggro + the use of aoe abilities in a large grounded fight would normally grab you all the aggro. If that fails, use Censure ( if more then 5 ) / Even justice if they are together, then weave a DoL every 2nd GCD.

You shouldn't have any threat with aggro then, since you're trading off chunks of your dps to maintain aggro.

Due to the spread out nature of certain things like Great Hunts where mobs go 3 different directions and are immune until they reach their destination, its quite difficult. However most open world events don't require precise tanking, they are by there very design suppose to be done in a directionless pug.

Another factor is some DPS are just stupid. They won't wait 3 seconds, will attack random targets you are clearly not focusing on, refuse to use Fury of the Ascended, etc.

Justicar healing is designed to hold threat on mobs across the board but only enough to make sure they are focusing on you, a single target DPS is of course going to pull agro if they choose to hit the random ranged mob 45m from you.

Overall in open world events, just hold the boss and/or as many mobs as you can comfortably.

Throw Righteous Mandate on anyone and then click Repreive. You will gain instant aggro with everything. If the game considers the mob to be "in combat" with you, the mob will immediately drop what it's doing and stick to you. Oftentimes during GHunt rifts I'll stand in the middle and click Reprieve every time it's up. It's kinda funny.

Use line of sight combined with DOL spam for the ranged mobs. They grow lonely the instant they cannot see you and will do whatever it takes to meet your loving arms once again.

Plane Touched

I know exactly which pulls you're talking about in Golem Foundry and they can get a little dicey if people can't wait a second. Tact's can be tough to pull off of because there is no ramp up time in their damage and they easily over pull on the initial trash in there because they don't realize how far their torrents reach.

On the trash you're talking about, it's the multiple C1-ON3 copies that spread out in a line. I stand on one end of them, target the 3rd or 4th in line, and put my cursor over the 2nd in line. I pull using Total Assurance and then Hammer of Faith. This hits the mobs furthest away from me and I will have no aggro problems with them, there is usually almost a full GCD before the hammer actually lands on it's target and does damage (although the mob reacts instantly to taking damage). In that time I click on the second mob and hit it with Reckoning while running at the first mob, once it hits I use a DoL, 2x Even Justice (you should have 2-3 standing on top of you by now), then a couple of Censures. Everything should be on you and if something gets away it's easy to see it running off to towards the dps.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Heavens View Post
    Justicar is the king of AoE tanking, you should never be having problems holding threat on large groups.

Are you running 61 Justicar, 6 Shaman, 6 Inq?
    Make sure all you're buffs are up.
    Mien of Leadership, Righteous Mandate, Vengeance of the Winter Storm, Armor of Treachery, Courage of the Bear.

Start Hammer of Fath
    Total Assurance -> Hammer of Faith
    Even Justice spam when you have 3-5 mobs in front of you.
    Censure when you have 5-10 mobs around you.

Reckoning & Bolt of Radiance for additional ranged threat or Doctrine of Authority at the start.

Another fun trick, thanks to Mien of Leadership all over healing counts as 100% threat. Throw out a few Doctrine of Loyalty/Bliss for large spread out fights.

Edit: Another gimmick is to use Reprieve. You give up our best cooldown but gain a massive threat boost at the start.
    you're buffs?
    you are buffs?

+ Reply to Thread