+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Is melee Cleric a No-No? Pvp

Poc
    Soulwalker

Default Is melee Cleric a No-No? Pvp

Trying out Rift again after a long time away. I'm playing with a buddy who wants one of the warrior classes. I was hoping to play a melee cleric to fight side by side with him and support him. I dont want to play range I enjoy classes like the Bear Shaman in AoC, DoK in Warhammer, melee Paladin in other games. If the melee cleric can't hang in the front lines and be capable of taking people down while keeping himself and other melees around him up then I need to just choose one of the pure melee dps classes.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Poc View Post
    I need to just choose one of the pure melee dps classes.
    Clerics are very gimped in melee pvp right now. Shaman works well in melee but if you want to be successful in melee pvp you might want to roll any other class.

Attack wise, shaman is just as powerful as any other full dps soul. Fighting non tanks even geared players, if a shaman gets the jump on an individual, a properly specced shaman (must be lvl 60 imo) can have the advantage.

They are simply paper thin and can only fight side liners if they do not have the gear and a pocket healer.

Its a no no if you want to be successful solo. Its simply too squishy if your building toward dps. And if you build towards survival your dps drops too significantly to make it worth it.

At the end of the day we are a poorly designed melee class, especially for PvP.

i was always told clerics couldnt melee and clerics shouldnt dps. needless to say you can go back in the history and checkout my youtube i was primarily bucking this trend and was a melee pvp priest all prior sl.
    I had a full damage shaman spec
    I had a melee healer spec which was basically me running around using sent and warden to provide heals to people near me while i healed with DOL and salvation,
    and then I had a inquisicar spec that was about 34 points in justicar and not ya standard pve cookie cutter spec...

with all that said on paper it looked like it would be better skillwise to pvp as a cleric but the points just dont add up anymore.
    I can melee fine on my full justicar and use a 2hander but you have no snare
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#U/rkGGFlklka4/lgt4E

I have been using the past week is
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#U...a4GkiE/lmBhl18

the thinking behind this is complex. You get more bonuses to raise the damage of justicars "strike" than shaman crushing blow, so it will actually do more damage (plus grant you salvation) so I use a 2hander, put points into justicar to raise my HP+ARMOR so i can stay in melee and then put enough points into shaman to get the snare, but ONLY get abilities from the tree that will raise my damage with justicar abilities. not anything that raises shaman abilities. I then put the remainder in defiler because each point gives you +healing and + damage.
    i got mauled and roasted

full shaman only works if you kite a LOT. you cant play like this is WoW and you are a 2handed warrior going in and crushing everyone, you have to play more like this is DAoC and you are a blademaster/Zerker or this is warhammer and you are a White Lion. stick to the outside of combat, and hit the target you want with the crappy insta bolt, when someone over extends or when the battle breaks down in the carnage, rush in, get your kill and rush out.
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#U/rkJg8I/lklaGyGEBgw

to me honestly melee hasnt been working well for me at all outside of the full justicar which is working very well.

TLDR version
    If you use a pvp spec to melee pvp you will do ok, if you use a pve spec to pvp melee you will get demolished. there is no such thing as "DPS" in pvp.
    there is just "this helps my burst" "this helps me survive long enough to deal damage" and that is all.
    How much do you HATE BISHOPX?
    Warrior video (july)
    Newest shaman PvP video
    Enjoy the GREATEST HITS

Rift Master

You can use it, but you'd need a balanced raid. You need a good amount of healers, and atleast a couple other melee in the raid. Can't overextend like other melee classes, and need to be prepared to kite back at the first sign of trouble.

Unless an ideal raid composition, just running inq is going to be much more successful.

Assist trains, yes I remember those
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ_YMX4ugSw
    old video but the whole casters vs melee debate still applies

and here is the HOW TO video i made, the content is old but the philosophy is still the same,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEj9N1vSOfI

its a how to for cleric melee, especially High shaman. not great video quality but its a full UNEDITED video without the assist of a premade. just me showing how your normal day would be like playing as a melee cleric.
    Id make one now as a 2h justicar but id get too much hate for going 2-0 and 1-0 every match.
    Last edited by BishopX; 02-11-2013 at 08:08 AM.
    Warrior video (july)
    Newest shaman PvP video
    Enjoy the GREATEST HITS

Quote Originally Posted by No_Exit View Post
    Its a no no if you want to be successful solo. Its simply too squishy if your building toward dps. And if you build towards survival your dps drops too significantly to make it worth it.

At the end of the day we are a poorly designed melee class, especially for PvP.
    Sigh i wouldnt go that far, but the premise is somewhat true.

You CAN top with shaman, especially now since they have given us tools to weaken our opponent before we dive in for the kill.
    However, yes, shaman is an all or nothing soul. And if you want to solo with it, you can, if you go all out damage. Everything and anything to increase your damage output. So by the time you reach your opponent, they would be at half life. Then, you MB, Jolt, and Glacial them to death.

You may, not outperform most other melee soul of equal calibre, and yes, you may have an easier time with ranged. But if you enjoy melee, there is no reason not to go full shaman. You may not be #1 all the time, but you will definitely make an impact.
    For me, if i break even on my kill to death ratio, i call it a good match D:
    More times than not, my kills are higher than my deaths with shaman, and i dont duo queue with a PH, although sometimes, a healer will follow me around, allowing me to go to work.

Edit: Anything less than 61 shaman = mediocre = useless. Do not underestimate the 1sec gcd.

PS: Do not use a 2 hander. Use a one hander and totem. They give more overall stats.
    Last edited by Eughe; 02-11-2013 at 04:21 PM.

No, Im finding Melee Clerics to be better then Ranged in 1V1s, But only 1V1. As soon as you are focus fired you are dead. All Melee clerics suffer from low mobility to zero. All of them deal surprising damage however. If you are skilled enough, I imagine the results to be pure devastation. I'll give you a breakdown.

Shaman: Glass Cannon, Absurd burst damage and the fastest attacker of the bunch. Shaman feels like it's built for PvP with a plethora of essential PvP utility, it brings to the table a snare, a INSTANT CAST HEALING DEBUFF WITH A DURATION LONGER THEN ITS COOLDOWN, a 3second Stun (Finish him button) Shaman has the most potential. Downside? Its squishy as hell. In fact, too squishy to make use of its healing debuff. One day though, if Trion made Justicar/Blocking better, a Shaman will be able to make a NB/RS cower in fear.

Minimal use in Zergs unless you do what Eughe said. Cleric buffs are a given.

Druid: Utility is all I can say.
    In 1v1, if your foe wasted Break free, Slumber. Then feel free to heal yourself up, get a coffee and come back to finish the fight. Druid can hit pretty hard and your Pets are no slouches either. A free Pocket healer (Turn Fae Blast off for the healer) can make you nearly impossible to kill in a Justicar hybrid (If you dont mind a dragged out battle). Fairy Seer seems to have stolen Rapid Fire shot from Rogues, She doesn't hit as hard as the Satyr who smells of Mead and Blood, But she is bursty with her Fae Barrage, with that said, Satyr destroyer stomps on to the field with a might axe, for a pet, this thing has stupid damage output. In conjunction with Subtly this pet outclasses every other pet in the game hands down. He is a bit Frail, so heal him if you can!

In Raids, Druid falls under "troll specs" its Raid buffs help, but it truly shines and yoinking the healer into your hungry zerg of scrubs. Thorns of Ire are also great when Focus firing. Thats about it. Fairy provides minimal healing to your allies.

Justicar: Most commonly used in "troll specs" Oddly, Hammer of Faith can crit for 7K on non-tank players with max Convictions. Its able to sustain itself 1v1 unless you are fighting a Glass Rogue. The ones Hammer crits 7K on. Its self contradictory.. I need to tweek it more. I know it has it in it!

Justicar is the worst one in raids, it provides zero raid help bar being a damage sponge for five seconds.

Hope I helped!
    Phirus: P80 Cleric @Faeblight
    Retired possibly.

I totally 100% believe that shaman is an all or nothing soul for pvp.

actually.... let this be a lesson to everyone. there is NO SOUL which benefits from specing full into it for pvp.
    most of the higher point abiities in our souls are mostly for PVE mob killing "DPS"
    there is no need for dps in pvp imo. so getting skills that raise you from 6000dps to 7500 dps is not worth it as its the difference between like a 6000 and a 6500 bolt.

i only would max out at 54 in shaman to get the "FINISH HIM" move. everything else i would put into whatever soul to get the results you desire (shammy and defieler)
    Warrior video (july)
    Newest shaman PvP video
    Enjoy the GREATEST HITS

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by BishopX View Post
    actually.... let this be a lesson to everyone. there is NO SOUL which benefits from specing full into it for pvp.

ex. shaman:
    if you were spamming abilities with 54pt shaman you would use 40 in one minute. if you were spamming abilities with 61pt shaman you would use 60 in one minute. if you can't figure out why 61pts is necessary......
    Icecubetray - 60 Rogue
    Bongmaster - 60 Mage
    Tronzilla - 60 Warrior
    Herpzalot - 60 Cleric
    Stickybudz - 55 Cleric

I totally 100% believe that shaman is an all or nothing soul for pvp.

most of the higher point abiities in our souls are mostly for PVE mob killing "DPS"
    there is no need for dps in pvp imo. so getting skills that raise you from 6000dps to 7500 dps is not worth it as its the difference between like a 6000 and a 6500 bolt.

i only would max out at 54 in shaman to get the "FINISH HIM" move. everything else i would put into whatever soul to get the results you desire (shammy and defieler)

its like..

Anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahlos View Post
    r.

Satyr destroyer stomps on to the field with a might axe, for a pet, this thing has stupid damage output. In conjunction with Subtly this pet outclasses every other pet in the game hands down. He is a bit Frail, so heal him if you can!
    !
    Really? I find Satyr too much of a risk. Yeah he hits hard but falls at the drop of a hat. At least fairy can be specced to hit at 35m, and making it get kiters and makes more CC kinda useless on her.

that was a mistyle, shaman is NOT an "all or nothing" soul for pvp.

as for druid, while I dont like most of the skills, i seem to get a TON of killing blows on people because cloak of leaves.
    Last edited by BishopX; 02-12-2013 at 07:14 PM.
    Warrior video (july)
    Newest shaman PvP video
    Enjoy the GREATEST HITS

some fun with my melee cleric today

heres the video
    http://youtu.be/_O3k_R9BbVo

nothing big, jus shaman fun
    Warrior video (july)
    Newest shaman PvP video
    Enjoy the GREATEST HITS

Wow.... just wow....

Bishop. You need to stop posting misleading and completely incorrect information.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast