+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: So I tried out Purifier...

Plane Touched

Default So I tried out Purifier...

And for the most part, I like it. I enjoy the whole Absorbs schtick that it has, and being able to put 6k shields on the whole group in 2 GCD's. I'm only level 58 so far, btw.

But there's also a few things I'm wondering:

Why exactly is Ward of Flame's cast time THREE seconds? It feels incredibly sluggish, and the tank's health often drops a bit during that 3 second cast, unless he's overgeared and/or taking little damage. Why isn't it 2 seconds w/ talent, like Healing Invocation? Or at least 2.5 second cast? This is my biggest gripe with the spec, the slow cast time.

I mean, isn't Purifier supposed to be the powerhouse tank/ST healer? Why is its single target healing worse than Sentinel's, then?

Symbol of the Hearth: Why such low absorb? The tooltip reads "970". Why the **** would I want to cast that, when I could just use Symbol of the Sun a couple times to get 6k shields on 3 people at a time? Same thing with Gathering of Flames: Its absorb is just way too low to even consider using it, but luckily this spell isn't blocked by Burnout...really the only reason why I use it.

Eruption: I find that this hardly ever does any damage. I'm almost never overwriting shields on the tank. Whereas Sentinel's version, which damages based on overheal, I find myself pulling up to 1k dps single target with it. What's the point of even having Eruption if it doesn't do much at all?

Just a few gripes with the spec that I feel should be fixed.
    Last edited by Erethzium; 01-15-2013 at 10:36 AM.

Purifier is not a powerhouse tank heal like it was pre-1.11, that is sentinel. Purifier is a preventative shielder, that happens to have some decent tank-specific cooldowns. Ward of Fire is slow because it's meant to be used mostly pre-emptively, as it will apply a shield each time it's used which will hold over the tank until the next cast goes off. Unless you are casting symbol of the sun or using a cooldown you pretty much always want to spam Ward of Fire in preparation for damage, even as the tank is about to pull. If you need to quickly heal up a tank then you have Healing Breath, Healing Flare and Spiritual Conflagration. Or if you need more rapid heals in a certain portion of the fight, use Ward of Scorching instead, and regen your mana afterward. Or just let them get low enough to trigger Latent Blaze which you applied with Flashover before the pull, and then you can instantly reapply it.

Symbol of the Hearth is pretty much useless because Symbol of the Sun shields 3 people. Gathering of Flames isn't much of a shield but since it also heals when it's consumed (and isn't affected by Burnout) it's worth casting just before raid damage happens.

Eruption is rather pointless as well but it's "free" damage. Would be nice if it was reworked so Purifier could reliably get 500-1k DPS while healing but it's a very low priority issue.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 01-15-2013 at 10:48 AM.

Plane Touched

Yes, I understand the shielding portion of WoF, but if the tank isn't super-geared, the shield from it usually breaks easily, halfway through the next WoF cast. I frequently find myself casting Healing Breath immediately after a WoF because the tank's health dropped during the cast.

I guess I just miss the Purifier from pre-SL. Having huge shields and epic tank healing that couldn't be beat by any other spec, and an awesome 10-player absorb.

Quote Originally Posted by Erethzium View Post
    Why exactly is Ward of Flame's cast time THREE seconds? It feels incredibly sluggish, and the tank's health often drops a bit during that 3 second cast, unless he's overgeared and/or taking little damage. Why isn't it 2 seconds w/ talent, like Healing Invocation? Or at least 2.5 second cast? This is my biggest gripe with the spec, the slow cast time.I mean, isn't Purifier supposed to be the powerhouse tank/ST healer? Why is its single target healing worse than Sentinel's, then?
    Its because its got a shield attached to it. The guess is Trion wanted to make the Sent the consistent speed healer and the Purifier the prevent some damage healer. Purifier is more built for a raid environment then small scale group healing although it can still work well there. Ward of flame is honestly more of something to use when you dont have anything to do at the time. Most of the time your there for cooldowns and instants. Its certainly not the Powerhouse that the Puri/sent was, and Trion clearly tried to move away from that and really separate what the intent of the 2 trees was.

Symbol of the Hearth: Why such low absorb? The tooltip reads "970". Why the **** would I want to cast that, when I could just use Symbol of the Sun a couple times to get 6k shields on 3 people at a time? Same thing with Gathering of Flames: Its absorb is just way too low to even consider using it, but luckily this spell isn't blocked by Burnout...really the only reason why I use it.
    No idea. Hearth is so bad that you wont find a single competent cleric with it even on their bar. With the ability to pop Symbol of the Sun on 3 people for a significant shield bump (at my gear lvl in raids its like 14-15k shields), there is absolutely no reason for such pitiful aoe shielding. This applies to Gathering of the flames as well, although that still has a place on the bar due to the heal after the shield is broken, and because its not blocked by Burnout.

Eruption: I find that this hardly ever does any damage. I'm almost never overwriting shields on the tank. Whereas Sentinel's version, which damages based on overheal, I find myself pulling up to 1k dps single target with it. What's the point of even having Eruption if it doesn't do much at all?
    Again true. Eruption in its current state is pretty pathetic. But its no big gain or loss, just another skill that needs some loving or replacing.
    Last edited by No_Exit; 01-15-2013 at 11:41 AM.

IMO some possible changes to improve purifier...

Symbol of the Hearth removed, or made to affect 10 people (make it unaffected by Emblem of Ashes) and double the shielding amount.
    Eruption does damage whenever a shield is either consumed by damage or overwritten.
    Replace the 61 pt ability with an ability that removes all Burnouts in a 30m radius, 1 min cooldown.

Purifiers only real strength in a raid is it's cooldowns (one of them being a sent cd) and symbol of the sun.

Wards are really sluggish and are a tiny heal and shield. I'd honestly like to see wards be just a pure castable shield and remove the heal all together. It's rare you'd see a puri in a raid healing a tank by itself (And I honestly don't think a puri could heal a tank in a raid by itself for any length of time). It feels almost almost like a more efficient use of time to just shield the raid and use cd's on tanks when needed then cast wards.

With the addition of Defiler I don't see a reason for us to have three full blown tank healing trees. Defiler mitigation via links blows puri out of the water as it is. I think Puri would be better served as a flexible support/cd raid mitigation healer then a weak tank healer with some mitigation.

Symbol of the Hearth needs a rework, It needs to hit ten targets and not apply burn out. The 58 and 61 pt talents are kind of meh. I don't see why you would get them over HC (not that I'm advocating 61 point builds). I think they be better served as some kind of raid mitigation cd, like 25% damage mit or a GTAOE shield/bubble or something.
    4/4 Frozen Tempest, 5/5 Endless Eclipse

I like this thread, and thoroughly agree with everything that has been said.

Puri is useless as a tank healer, far too sluggish and ineffectual. The only time I ever use it to tank heal is in the event of massive incoming damage (Crucia's breath for example) or if another healer is down. In the latter instance I find the instant cast and shorter cast heals much more effective.

Puri is, however, and excellent raid shielder - played well it not only prevents raid damage but also gives 4 good tank cds (I include Flashover, TTL, Ward of Scorching),and an aoe cleanse in Sent. Not to mention Gathering of the Flames, which IMO should not be used on cd but in when the situation requires both the shield and the heal.

I thoroughly enjoy the spec for what it is, but as the OP and all the APs say, it is not a tank healer in any sense of the word. Nice to see us all in agreement (so far).
    Last edited by Merridwyn; 01-15-2013 at 12:41 PM.

Soulwalker

I completley agree that puri does need some love. the shields are fun but it needs a drastic reduction in the cd timing or increasing its healing to be usefull mabey the wards could proc a heal over time that does 50% more healing over 5 secounds. puri is my favorite healing build but its ability to recover when cd are down is to weak. The only other thing they could do is buff the midigation that puri adds.

Quote Originally Posted by No Quarter View Post
    The 58 and 61 pt talents are kind of meh. I don't see why you would get them over HC (not that I'm advocating 61 point builds). I think they be better served as some kind of raid mitigation cd, like 25% damage mit or a GTAOE shield/bubble or something.
    Honestly the 58 Puri cooldown is very nice, it's just not as useful reactively as having access to Healer's Covenant and the AoE cleanse.

I think of Puri as more of a support healer. Not sure if this is the role Trion intended for it.

Quote Originally Posted by No_Exit View Post
    No idea. Hearth is so bad that you wont find a single competent cleric with it even on their bar. With the ability to pop Symbol of the Sun on 3 people for a significant shield bump (at my gear lvl in raids its like 14-15k shields), there is absolutely no reason for such pitiful aoe shielding. This applies to Gathering of the flames as well, although that still has a place on the bar due to the heal after the shield is broken, and because its not blocked by Burnout.
    I use it all the time in my sent build. Pre-shield on tank before pulls, shield myself during bosses with AOE during lulls in the fight, shield group while running to bookcases on 3rd boss in Exodus, shield charge target on last boss in EC...plenty of uses. You just use it when you have a free moment and when you know that person may take some damage soonish. A small shield is better than no shield. And it does shield more than 900 or w/e the base tooltip says. More like 1.7-2k iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    Honestly the 58 Puri cooldown is very nice, it's just not as useful reactively as having access to Healer's Covenant and the AoE cleanse.
    This is true. And Kervik can probably just leave it as is. The 61 pt ability is just not that good and i couldn't see getting it unless the 61 pt ability is something equivalent to healer covenant or some kind of unique utility ability (I'm really leaning to something like Ablative coil or physical wellness).

I'd honestly like to see Ward of Flame be what Ward of Fire is (which should be just a full shield with no heal component) and have Ward of Fire be a 10 target castable shield. This whole concept of replacing lower tier abilities with ones higher up in the tree is just lazy class design.

Eruption should just be a self-buff that does what sign of wrath does, just make it a little stronger, Remove sign of wrath all together, move Sign of Daring down in its place and pull Sign of Anticipation down out of the tree into the 20 pt root ability and put in some kind of other utility talent in it's place in the tree(like an aoe shield blessing or a shielding marked by the light).

Also another idea for Symbol of the hearth is make it hit 10 targets, shield close to or as much as Symbol of the Sun, (maybe) apply burn out (or its own unique debuff) and have a 36% mana cost (like healing effusion). I'd also probably swap this with either Gathering of the Flame or Eruption in the root.

Quote Originally Posted by dead2soon View Post
    I think of Puri as more of a support healer. Not sure if this is the role Trion intended for it.

They lowered the overall healing out put, and tried to compensate for that by putting in a bunch of CDs, not realizing long CDs, plus a bunch of overwritten abilities, and and rigid mechanics will not compensate for lower healing out put.

Then we have the introduction of defiler.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyeus View Post
    I use it all the time in my sent build. Pre-shield on tank before pulls, shield myself during bosses with AOE during lulls in the fight, shield group while running to bookcases on 3rd boss in Exodus, shield charge target on last boss in EC...plenty of uses. You just use it when you have a free moment and when you know that person may take some damage soonish. A small shield is better than no shield. And it does shield more than 900 or w/e the base tooltip says. More like 1.7-2k iirc.
    I think you have hearth confused with torch?

Quote Originally Posted by Dyeus View Post
    Sounds like you are talking about symbol of the torch, not anything mentioned in what you quoted....they are talking about the aoe shields

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast