+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What builds are working in PVP?

Default What builds are working in PVP?

So I just hit 60 and am getting really frustrated with PVP. Damage is just insane. I cant get off a hard cast heal with Sent before my target is dead. If a rogue switches to me, I have about 3-4 global cool downs before I am dead.

I am thinking of running a heavy Justicar/Sent build, but beyond that I am at a complete loss. Should I just give up and DPS until I get better gear? Any tips would be appreciated.

Edit: I dont mean just healing btw, just bringing that up cause its what ive always done. Any build thats working great in PVP ill take it. I cant seem to find any guides about what is working well.
    Last edited by Suffer; 01-14-2013 at 11:34 PM.
    There is 3 kinds of people in the world: Those who can count and those who can't.

Senticar is a useless spec.

Healing? 58-61 senti, rest puri. 40 defiler, rest senti or senti/puri split (former has more utilization, latter more heal power, but the heals are plenty strong anyway so i would go with the former to pick up aoe cleanse and other goodies). 58-61 warden/rest senti

DPS:
    61 inqui/11 warden (nysyr abuse)/x

61 shaman/13 warden/2inqu (35m WJ, MB and GS abuse).

58/61 druid/11-13 warden (dps -> support); 5-7-12 shaman(2 ports and a pull - extra st damage - 5% extra crit on top of all attacks); 2-7-12 inqui (35m pull + 35m fairy attacks/heals; 10% sp; purge (i macro it but its probably not good to), extra damage burst, 35m pull + 35m fairy attacks). If you go inqui put the rest in warden to get 35m wj for runners. If you are 61 druid, your WJ will proc breach on runners while you and your fairy nukes them.

Druid overall is kinda MEH on actually killing, but its fairly useful in sniping, pulling and harassing. Pick a target, CF, thorn them up, pull, CE -> EoL -> FE (or if you dont have time, FE) and if you choose shaman, you can port to them twice. By that time you pull should be up. However, their overall damage is low as they have only 1 nuke (CE) many targets can kill you if you are a lone and undergeared. It takes a while to get used to (Unless you probably played a warrior at some point) and in pvp, shaman is a lot easier since lazy macros work and they actually have an escape mech.

58-61 cab/10justi/rest inqui. Im still debating whether or not 10 justi is worth it. Its very very very weak splash heals but they tick for every dot and since you can constantly attack without stopping, you can probably heal for 150-200 per attack when everything is up. But 0 point justi would be enough to counteract most general shield reflects.

You can go more inqui for more damage or defiler for damage and [very] minor self healing. Some have a cab/defiler mix, but i find it awful as there is very little i would want to give up in the cab soul in favor of defiler, not for pvp anyway (not for pve either but thats just my opinion).

The 61 point ability is more useless than useful, but if you ever do get it off, it can hot for well up to 5k on a target, especially if you choose 11 warden as your secondary soul. But, i prefer overall damage increase which is why i dont use it and constantly go back and forth between 58-61 cab.

Those are my builds, im sure others have better though.

Quote Originally Posted by Eughe View Post
    58-61 cab/10justi/rest inqui. Im still debating whether or not 10 justi is worth it. Its very very very weak splash heals but they tick for every dot and since you can constantly attack without stopping, you can probably heal for 150-200 per attack when everything is up. But 0 point justi would be enough to counteract most general shield reflects.
    I'm interested in this cab/just spec....can you post more info? Build, rotation, etc or point to a guide?

61 Shaman hits like a truck, but you're doomed under even moderate fire. Its only real defense is a ~2000 damage shield, a sprint that you'll probably get shot in the back while using, and some tepid trickle healing.

Experimenting with some deeper Warden/Shaman combos has had mixed results. Lost some of the freight train-like damage, but picked up: Orbs of the Tide (@self), 0-point Purifier shield (@self, strengthened by Warden points), increased absorb on Glacial Shield, stronger trickle healing, self-cleansing, 12% additional bonus to Frozen Wrath (and Dehydrate, I guess), and either even more potency on Tidal Surge or 6% more water damage (Icy Blow, Frozen Wrath, Glacial Strike).

It's no NB/RS or VK/RB, but thusfar it still packs enough of a wallop to kill some people and can withstand incoming fire long enough to make a real escape, finish the job, or get some heals to land on you.

Which actually leads me to the question: Tidal Surge was reduced to 25% in PVP. The patch notes didn't mention if Diona's Gift was also reduced to 15% (normal 30% bonus) or if it remains an additive 30% even in PVP. Anyone know?
    "You with your fancy cooldowns and "runic" power! You know where my power comes from!? THE BACK OF MY HAND, #&!$%!"

Default Other specs to play with.

If I was just starting out I would try 48def/28inq. Or 40def/36inq. It will not light up the boards on damage, or healing. But this build will allow you to keep yourself alive, and add damage onto other targets and harass healers and such. This build also has the ability to clutch heal in large bursts friendly targets that need help.

The hardest thing about Cleric is that without gear it does piss poor, and you are a free kill to everybody. You should concentrate on utility and doing anything that you can do with a spec that does not involve scaling mechanics. So buffs, debuffs, CC, pulls, pushes, purges, healing drains, damage increases. For this type of build I would highly recommend 48def/28inq until you break 50% mitigation with valor.

Also, as was pointed out earlier. Deep druid has very good, but different utility, and is a solid option.

Do not get separated from your group in any case, or you are a goner.

My personal favorite atm is 61def/8puri/7sent. This build will make up for alot of your shortcomings on survivability and scales well with bad gear, since its main healing mechanic is supposedly broken OP. Also the links do not scale with gear, and the utility of the Bonds, and Unstable Transformation do not require good gear to be effective. Be warned. If you blow monster on somebody and rob the other team of a kill, they will come looking for the cleric that cast it.

In general there are too many haters when it comes to 61 defiler. Most of these people are old school and are still trippin over Warden sucking balls in the new expac. 61 def is now the top healing spec for cleric pvp (small group dynamics). People still swear by 40def/rest sent. But try using sentinel when you are facing a warrior and a MM (which happens all the time). You will not get off your key casts if they are good. And if they are bad and let you get them off, then it wouldnt have mattered what spec you played.

Think, utility. And you will do fine. Don't try to be a hero. Get that valor up as soon as possible. You are going to die, lots. Keep a thick skin on you. It gets better with gear.
    Last edited by Anathemus; 01-15-2013 at 11:02 AM.
    "The thousand little pieces of my life, which I have tried so hard to hold onto, are slipping through my fingers again. Each time I have to pick them back up, my hands seem a little smaller. Don't pity me, kill me. Just be gentle." -from my hour of need-

Default Oh yeah.

Don't bother with shaman until you are maxed on valor. It takes gear to make the damage coefficients of the shaman tree pan out to give you the massive burst that is the only redeeming value of shaman in pvp. And without valor you will die before you land from your, ride the lightning.
    "The thousand little pieces of my life, which I have tried so hard to hold onto, are slipping through my fingers again. Each time I have to pick them back up, my hands seem a little smaller. Don't pity me, kill me. Just be gentle." -from my hour of need-

For folks just starting out. 61 inq/11 ward (with a side of sent for HB) will give you best return with the easiest usage for your dps needs. It allows for fighting from the back with escape options. It may be squishy but hopefully you know when to exit stage left ;) A defilinq is good for some, but its not your everyday persons spec. For healing best bet is probably a 61 Sent. A cooldown monster and one of the only healing specs with the pvp big heal response. Defiler is another stellar heal spec but really only shines if you have a "partner in crime".

At the end of the day... if you get focus fired and no one heals you... your probably dying regardless of what your running. Thats just how pvp is now.

The Deflier/Inquisitor hybrids are indeed very troublesome to deal with. They can keep themselves and a couple of friends alive very well, and have sufficient debuffs and DoTs to scare off and/or wear down enemy players. I've found myself having to escape from a few of them on occasion.

Shaman, as it stands, is rarely worth the effort. Also hindered heavily by difficulty staying on target (though this will be slightly alleviated in 2.2 if the FW & LH changes go through). The Glacial Strike change that we might get will also help in delivering the killing blow more often.
    "You with your fancy cooldowns and "runic" power! You know where my power comes from!? THE BACK OF MY HAND, #&!$%!"

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Anathemus View Post
    People still swear by 40def/rest sent. But try using sentinel when you are facing a warrior and a MM (which happens all the time). You will not get off your key casts if they are good.
    40def + sent/puri plays like a full defiler, i.e. no cast. It has maybe 30% more healing output than 61 defiler, but less utility. With it you can actually spam only loathsome restoration, and with passive sentinel procs, can be a good (and mana efficient) healer.

IMO all heavy (~61) specs are viable in PVP which is a good thing. Some are more straigth forward or a little more efficient (61 inq, 61 sent, 61 defiler). But all are viable. Just don't run shaman if there are no healer on your side, you will last 2 sec. But if you can spread the 51 dot, the (bugged) shaman spec becomes really really strong. Also warden and puri are also viable as healer, but more situational, i.e. not to be used if you are the only healer, but great to complement other healers (puri still needs a little love IMO).

My main regret is that there are too few hybrid options. 40 defiler + sent/puri is extremely good, 40 defiler + cab or inq decent, but thats about it.
    Salace R80 Elzareth R59 Melgria R70+ Gremia L48 EU

Quote Originally Posted by actionvapor View Post
    I'm interested in this cab/just spec....can you post more info? Build, rotation, etc or point to a guide?
    Well, there are plethora of reactive shields available to every class. Cab is a soul that is constantly attacking (or should be). The justi makes it so that at the very least, the reactive damage would not insta kill you as you would receive a sufficient amount of self healing to deal with most of it, especially if there happens to be splash healers.

10 points into justi would give you either an extra 10% wis, or 10% end + 20% resists (which further helps with with the reactive shields which usually (always?) deal elemental damage) 15% end and 10% armour.

I personally go with 10% wis over the end. Even with all that, if someone truly wants you dead, and you are alone, chances are you will die. At least with the wis, you get more damage, more crit and more mp(not like cabs have that big a problem with that however). And then 5 hit reparation.

I personally play more of a CCer than dps, my sigil are usually never off CD, mainly because aoe damage is not that high. Cab however, does have great burst, so the standard dps rotation still applies ( Tyranny -> CoA -> BF -> Dis -> Tyr -> BF -> Repeat). You can macro in whatever other instant attacks you have into your BF macro as at the end of the day, it doesnt really ruin anything and gives your ST a little extra umph. DW can hit fairly hard. You can throw in BoR if you want (for my play style it doesnt matter). Abuse Obliterate whenever applicable.

And make sure you use your sigils at the appropriate time, especially since they are not instant CCs. There is a delay on when its active and if the opponents is not within the field when its activated, he gets off Scot free. I like to abuse binding as many will try and BF out of it (since many macro their BF in their main macro so it seems) and then immediately stun them. That usually yields quite a bit of death from your team.

Warriors (well most front liners) tend to run back towards (or behind) their healers, so i usually target them when they are running, set up my attack and when he is close to hand waving people, i cast my aoe silence (or even catastrophe) and try and trigger tyranny with disintergrate. If it doesnt get kills, my teams will probably get them.

Usually if you time it right, you will see a bunch of your team mates get "unstoppable" or whatever.

The conundrum however, is whether or not 10 justi is worth it. You do get some minor defensive properties, which gets better when you gear up. However, the splash healing is minor. CoA yields about 220 heals total per tick per person. Which, isnt a lot. You can still comfortably heal yourself with 0 point justi. But, as i said before, the heals are good to counteract the plethora of reactive flying around. Then again, without a dedicated healer, it wouldnt matter. And it gets totally overwhelmed by warden/chloro/senti splash/bard.

I personally feel more comfortable with it, even if its all an illusion. But i wouldnt blame anyone going deeper into inqui to get the full 10% sp, which helps a lot since cab is filled with power ups that increases sp contribution to certain skills, the out right 5% extra damage and 6% extra damage to DoTs and delays which helps CoA, DW and Tyranny. Not to mention the overall 15% extra damage.

But in CQ, i still value the hp, res and splash heal over the extra damage.

In general there are too many haters when it comes to 61 defiler. Most of these people are old school and are still trippin over Warden sucking balls in the new expac. 61 def is now the top healing spec for cleric pvp (small group dynamics).
    Nope. 40defiler/senti or 40 defiler sent+puri yields both higher healing as well as aoe healing (well, 40def/sent). Defiler 61 point is indeed ridiculously strong, but you have to take a whole bunch of crap that has nothing to do with healing in order to get it, when senti will give you an lowered gcd cleanse and aoe cleanse that heals, a suped up HB, a stronger/more aoe heal capability, an extra BF, HC, another hp buff, boosts to st heals, emergency run buff, mbtl. There absolutely no way that full defiler out puts more healing. If you mix it with puri and senti, you get a a shield (meh), flash over, and stronger ST heals (15k+ healing non crit). Hell, the gifts alone makes it so what you say is untrue. The only thing 61 def has going for it is a strong cd on a long cd, and LoA which doesnt matter since LoS works just as fine, and with senti/puri blessings, can intercept upwards of 7k+ damage on non crit.

People still swear by 40def/rest sent. But try using sentinel when you are facing a warrior and a MM (which happens all the time). You will not get off your key casts if they are good. And if they are bad and let you get them off, then it wouldnt have mattered what spec you played.
    Doesnt sound like you know how to play 40def o_o.

Think, utility. And you will do fine. Don't try to be a hero. Get that valor up as soon as possible. You are going to die, lots. Keep a thick skin on you. It gets better with gear.
    You speak of utility, when 61 defiler has less utility than 40def/sent.
    Last edited by Eughe; 01-15-2013 at 02:23 PM.

If I was just starting out I would try 48def/28inq. Or 40def/36inq. It will not light up the boards on damage, or healing. But this build will allow you to keep yourself alive, and add damage onto other targets and harass healers and such. This build also has the ability to clutch heal in large bursts friendly targets that need help.

The hardest thing about Cleric is that without gear it does piss poor, and you are a free kill to everybody. You should concentrate on utility and doing anything that you can do with a spec that does not involve scaling mechanics. So buffs, debuffs, CC, pulls, pushes, purges, healing drains, damage increases. For this type of build I would highly recommend 48def/28inq until you break 50% mitigation with valor.

Also, as was pointed out earlier. Deep druid has very good, but different utility, and is a solid option.

Do not get separated from your group in any case, or you are a goner.

My personal favorite atm is 61def/8puri/7sent. This build will make up for alot of your shortcomings on survivability and scales well with bad gear, since its main healing mechanic is supposedly broken OP. Also the links do not scale with gear, and the utility of the Bonds, and Unstable Transformation do not require good gear to be effective. Be warned. If you blow monster on somebody and rob the other team of a kill, they will come looking for the cleric that cast it.

In general there are too many haters when it comes to 61 defiler. Most of these people are old school and are still trippin over Warden sucking balls in the new expac. 61 def is now the top healing spec for cleric pvp (small group dynamics). People still swear by 40def/rest sent. But try using sentinel when you are facing a warrior and a MM (which happens all the time). You will not get off your key casts if they are good. And if they are bad and let you get them off, then it wouldnt have mattered what spec you played.

Thanks for all the replies, they gave me a ton of ideas and even hope to keep trying new builds. This post was exactly what i was looking for. "support PVP build" resonates so well what what i am trying to accomplish. Thanks again, ill be trying something like Def/Inq. Even if i dont top dmg or heals, purging on every CD, spreading %dmg dots around sounds like fun and useful to the group.
    There is 3 kinds of people in the world: Those who can count and those who can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Suffer View Post
    Thanks for all the replies, they gave me a ton of ideas and even hope to keep trying new builds. This post was exactly what i was looking for. "support PVP build" resonates so well what what i am trying to accomplish. Thanks again, ill be trying something like Def/Inq. Even if i dont top dmg or heals, purging on every CD, spreading %dmg dots around sounds like fun and useful to the group.
    Try this. http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...xzudsoc00z.-11

If you like. I can give information on how to make your macros and such. You need to have your UI set up like you are a healer, and use healing macros for greatest effect.

Your burst setup is to make sure Marrow Harvest goes off the same time your Bolt of Depravity procs. You can hit somebody for half their life this way. Make as much use of bond of Pain as you can, including moving your links to make it work if need be. This dot does more damage faster than any of your other dots. Vex hits for more, but lasts only half the duration, and is limited to the Cleric GCD. Bond of Pain matches the GCD of the attacker (rogues) and thus hits more often. Abuse Bond of Corruption like its goin out of style, and make sure you put up your 12% damage debuffs on key targets.
    Last edited by Anathemus; 01-15-2013 at 07:38 PM.

Rift Chaser

I am probably the most unconventional cleric you will find and my builds are probably subpar but i play what is suiting the play style i enjoy..

My Build - 58 Inq / 16 Cab / 2 Puri

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#Ek8g/nGal5kBiAG8/md

I get all the toys i want from Inq with more utility for me out of cab for the aoe buff removal curse of solitude and the ability to teleport away. having the teleport and break free works wonders.

the way i like to play is with dot's i use a lot of them it may not be the most useful way to play but when people are cleansing and such it just gives them more to do i think. so i will bury dots on my target from the two in cab, the three in inq. then start loading into the bolts i only do this type of stuff when i get to a stand off with groups in wf's. helps a little and more not be optimal but it works most of the time. in a 1v1 that you load up dots on a target and get a little damage in before you know you are going to die you never know you might take your target with you.

but i am just not always throwing out damage i aoe debuff i single debuff i damage debuff i just like specs with more my play style while not optimal it works for me.

Now for healing i use the 40 defiler sent/puri perfect for me and amazing.

Shield of Telara

any melee builds that don't completely fold under pressure?

going to pvp level my cleric from 50-60 and would like a decent melee build for when theres enough healing

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast