+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to Rift & Cleric.....

Default New to Rift & Cleric.....

I am new to Rift and the Cleric class...I have been looking for a clear & concise answer to my question, but the information on the forums, Cleric guides (maybe not looked close enough), Rift Junkies, Rift Magelo, etc..., seems a bit murky.

I have been playing a Rogue (lvl 23) for a bit and I do enjoy it, but I wanted to try another class, and the Cleric did intrigue me. So, I started a Kelari last night. I like chain mail, two handed weapons, some range attack ability, and self healing abilities...obviously not Rogue characteristics.

As I started the leveling process I was getting gear with the attributes of Wisdom, Intelligence, Strength, Spell Power, etc...here is where my question comes in.What attributes (if that is what you even call them in Rift) do I utilize for DPS?

I want to play strictly a DPS Cleric...from what I have been reading that might now be so advisable later on, especially if you looking to do dungeons and raids....I guess you will be depended upon to do some healing too (though I do like self heals!)? I just want to DPS...I did pick a default DPS purpose ( I don't remembwer which one, I'll have to check later) to start out with. I do have a couple of range spells to go along with my melee, which is cool, but I am unsure of what gear attributes to be looking for?

Any help/guidance would be appreciated. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraxammer View Post
    I am new to Rift and the Cleric class...I have been looking for a clear & concise answer to my question, but the information on the forums, Cleric guides (maybe not looked close enough), Rift Junkies, Rift Magelo, etc..., seems a bit murky.

I have been playing a Rogue (lvl 23) for a bit and I do enjoy it, but I wanted to try another class, and the Cleric did intrigue me. So, I started a Kelari last night. I like chain mail, two handed weapons, some range attack ability, and self healing abilities...obviously not Rogue characteristics.

As I started the leveling process I was getting gear with the attributes of Wisdom, Intelligence, Strength, Spell Power, etc...here is where my question comes in.What attributes (if that is what you even call them in Rift) do I utilize for DPS?

I want to play strictly a DPS Cleric...from what I have been reading that might now be so advisable later on, especially if you looking to do dungeons and raids....I guess you will be depended upon to do some healing too (though I do like self heals!)? I just want to DPS...I did pick a default DPS purpose ( I don't remembwer which one, I'll have to check later) to start out with. I do have a couple of range spells to go along with my melee, which is cool, but I am unsure of what gear attributes to be looking for?

Any help/guidance would be appreciated. Thank you.
    You want spellpower and (to a much lesser extent) spell crit. Spell crit is worth about 1/4 of spellpower. Wisdom gives you 0.75 SP per point, intel gives you 0.25 SP per point, each of them give you 0.5 crit per point. Strength/Dex/AP/phys crit are all worthless.

Then there's crit power, which can be worth almost as much as spellpower in a high-crit spec such as Inquisitor, or only about half as much as spellpower in other specs.

A cleric's worth to a group is its flexibility, it has the most options for healing of any class. So don't be afraid to try some healing, your groups will really appreciate it. As far as gearing, healing is just much more dependent on spellpower than spell crit/crit power, since a flat increase in healing is better than a chance for extra heals.

What Grinnz said, and also:

Most items you'll find for DPS/healing clerics are going to be like

+ wis (higher than int)
    + int
    + end (maybe)
    + SP or CP (if you're lucky) or SC (if you're unlucky)

thats just a generalization of items you'll find that you want to go for. if you see an item with wis/int lots of endurance and no spellpower, crit power, or spell crit than those are most likely tanking items

untill you have a more clear understanding of the builds you'll be using i'd mostly stick to prioritizing high wisdom and high spellpower, everything else is just extra.

I'm pretty new to Rift as well but stumbled upon a custom Inquisitor/Cabalist/Justicar build that has rocked since Day 1 for dps and survivability.

My gear is stacked heavy with wis, filled in with int and end and a little SP/CP/SC mixed in.

I had to add some end gear when I got to the new SL zones, as mobs had 5x my HP. But once I bumped it up a bit, my questing greens were good to go. This particular build is like the Energizer bunny and almost never needs to stop for mana. It seems a little tanky-ish and slow now but my character rarely dies and onslaughts are a blast.

I mostly solo so the one big downside is I don't have a heal for others except the Salvation passive group heal.

Anyway, what Grinnz said. Have fun out there!
    Last edited by Jaedor; 01-17-2013 at 04:45 PM. Reason: typo

+ Reply to Thread