+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quick threat

Rift Chaser

Default Quick threat

What can I do to build up threat more quickly as a 61 Justicar?

Often I run up to enemies or else pull them with the Reckoning ranged attack ability and then run back near the group and start swinging Even Justice but it takes me a couple of seconds to get the threat from multiples on me. Usually dps people get hit a couple of times before the mobs stick to me. I usually start spamming DoL hoping to attract them or waste my reprieve. Not a huge deal but a little embarrassing.
    Last edited by Yirk; 01-11-2013 at 10:46 AM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Yirk View Post

Often I run up to enemies or else pull them with the Reckoning ranged attack ability and then run back near the group and start swinging Even Justice but it takes me a couple of seconds to get the threat from multiples on me. Usually dps people get hit a couple of times before the mobs stick to me. I usually start spamming DoL hoping to attract them or waste my reprieve. Not a huge deal but a little embarrassing.
    Simple fix, have 5+ convictions via total assurance and use hammer of faith , all mobs should be on you at that point. After that use even justice , weave in censure and every 7 convictions just use hammer of duty once again . DOL is incredibly weak now . Save reprieve and your other obvious defensive cd's and use them at your discretion .

Quote Originally Posted by Yirk View Post

if my DPS'ers are very quick to pull aggro I use total assurance + AoE hammer, followed by reckoning untill they get within range. If you don't have any charges and TA just use reckoning followed by the aoe hammer

normally just reckoning alone will keep the mobs on me untill they get within range. just make sure you're using your 30m abilities and not running in to aggro the packs of mobs (and don't use shaman charge).

The thing with DoL is that its only usefull with 10 or more people, because each individual DoL heal is less than a tic of salvation heal by using reckoning. The only appropriate time to use DoL is when you *cannot* hit *any* mobs with *any* skill due to LoS or some other issue (back turned, ect.)
    Last edited by Redcruxs; 01-11-2013 at 11:22 AM.

The easiest way to get AE aggro if you have 0 convictions is to get near them quickly, reckoning then charge them then censure or EJ.
    Last edited by bombasy; 01-11-2013 at 11:36 AM. Reason: forgot reckoning first, derp.
    Hedonism (Deepwood)

Quote Originally Posted by Redcruxs View Post
    (and don't use shaman charge)
    Use the charge after the AoE hammer. With the correct target and good positioning, this will be another aoe hit and take you into range for melee. For best results, use Total Assurance before the AoE. After the charge, use Censure, then Even Justice.
    Last edited by Pork Star; 01-11-2013 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Star View Post
    Use the charge after the AoE hammer. With the correct target and good positioning, this will be another aoe hit and take you into range for melee. For best results, use Total Assurance before the AoE. After the charge, use Censure, then Even Justice.
    in the time it takes you to charge you could have run to the mobs and casted a reckoning while you were running. The charge is absolutely useless at best, using it is almost gauranteed aggro loss if your dps'ers have good gear.
    Last edited by Redcruxs; 01-11-2013 at 11:44 AM.

in the time it takes you to charge you could have run to the mobs and casted a reckoning while you were running. The charge is absolutely useless at best, using it is almost gauranteed aggro loss if your dps'ers have good gear.
    Plus the GD caused by charge leaves you standing next to the mobs doing nothing. While they run to the healer. Only reason I use charge is when knocked back and need to get back to mob quickly.
    In Xanadu did Kublai Khan
    A stately Pleasure-Dome decree,
    Where Alph, the sacred river ran
    Through caverns measureless to man
    Down to a sunless sea.

Quote Originally Posted by archduke View Post
    Plus the GD caused by charge leaves you standing next to the mobs doing nothing. While they run to the healer. Only reason I use charge is when knocked back and need to get back to mob quickly.
    especially with the increased running speed, its sad really, I was so excited when i heard that the shaman charge was being moved to 4pt root. But through all my testing in-game I cannot find a workable solution to actually USE the charge in my tanking without losing aggro, those few seconds at the start of a pull are too crucial to holding threat when DPS are popping cooldowns ect.

If you time it correctly you'll land and censure before mobs run out of range, the advantage to this is that you hit everything with it. Mind you, this is more for when you have 5+ targets to hit, I tend to do silly pulls that.

Basically your RTL starts about the same time your Reckoning is hitting and your Censure goes off about the same time you land from RTL.

To be honest I've never tried a one point HoF for aggro, but then I haven't had many issues with aggro even with better geared players than me.
    Hedonism (Deepwood)

I tend to use it when I aggro a group and realize there are some ranged attackers in the back that are outside AoE range. One quick Charge will reposition the group of melee mobs that are on me and allow my group to AoE them to death faster.

I usually wait 2-3 GCDs before using charge to ensure that the melee mobs that I am tanking do not leave me as they are running to my new location.

I really enjoy the charge and use it quite often, but I can see it becomming less and less useful as DPS gear gets better in the late game.

Well, if you're just looking for quick threat, Reprieve is amazing for snap threat. Put righteous mandate on whoever has the highest hp in the group.

Note, don't use this for threat when you're not the only tank, it's a stupid amount of threat.

So for pulling big groups of things that are spread out, I will run through, aggroing everything as quickly as possible, then hitting reprieve to cement my threat.

TL;DR - Reprieve.
    |Cleric||<Everlasting Vendetta>||Greybriar|

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    I wanted to come out and say the following pretty definitively: There is no goal to make DPS clerics that DPS do less damage than other callings. ~Daglar

Rift Chaser

Thanks everyone for the great tips.

I think my big mistake was making a macro like this:

cast Doctrine of Glory
    cast Hammer of Faith

thought I was being really smart to take advantage of my convictions to make me tougher at the cost of a little dps but it looks like the hammer is a great threat builder that I was missing out on at the start of the pull.

Soulwalker

Hammer of Duty is your friend when it comes to snap threat. I typically hit total assurance then HoD on the pull, and then use charge as a gap closer. The sooner you're connecting with even justice/censure the quicker your threat will build. If you're running experts with a competent healer, chain pulling will alleviate most problems with itchy dps yanking aggro early, as this keeps your even justice aggro train going.

+ Reply to Thread