+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Complexity of the Druid soul

Rift Chaser

Default Complexity of the Druid soul

Hi everyone, I'm feeling pretty comfortable with most of the cleric roles but Druid seems a bit too complex.

I can only macro two abilities, combined effort and fervent strike, then I need to maintain/refresh all these at the same time while in combat:

Eruption of life
    Thorns of Ire
    Crushing Force
    Natural Dedication
    Trickster Spirit
    Subtlety
    and possibly
    Lightning Hammer, Marrow Harvest, or Vex

These abilities are all expiring at different times and with the exception of Subtlety and Marrow Harvest, none of them have a cooldown thus preventing them from being in a macro. I need a big Karuulalert just to keep track of what needs to be refreshed. When is there time to take advantage of positional damage bonuses from fervent strike?

In addition, there are a lot of buffs to recast when I die:
    Through Step
    Fury of the Fae
    Aid of the Forest
    Spirit of ....
    Life Breach
    Summoned pet
    plus whatever buffs come from second and third souls.

As needed abilities:
    Fae Step
    Shield of Oak
    Peace of the Forest
    Hidden Path
    Strength of the Fae
    Fae Extraction
    Sleep
    Interrupt
    plus second and third soul abilities

Seems that this soul could be fixed up a bit to make it all fit together better.

Thanks for reading
    Last edited by Yirk; 01-10-2013 at 08:29 AM.

Plane Walker

You can marco Subtlety too.

I don't see why you would need to manage Trickster Spirit. That's a toggle. Not to mention the debuff is already provided by other classes.

Torns of Ire and Natural Dedication are things provided by the support in Raids, so a druid wouldn't really never has to touch them.

So that drops your combat abilities down to... Eruption of life, Crushing Force, Combined Effort, and Fervent Strike. With Lightning Hammer, Vex, Marrow Harvest, and Massive Blow depending on subsoul. All your dots last 15, with the exception of Lightning Hammer unless your have the trait, but then you probably shouldn't be using it if you don't. So in combat they actually line up pretty well.

I do agree that Druid has too much stuff to put back up when they die though. But in combat there is nothing complex about them.

Rift Chaser

Maybe I misunderstood trickster spirit. If it is toggleable then that does reduce one click.

Eruption of life has to be refreshed every 5 hits doesn't it? I don't understand what you mean Thorns of Ire and Natural Dedication don't have to be touched by the druid.

Plane Walker

Thorns of Ire, Bard's Coda of Jeopardy, Archon's Illuminate, and Beastmaster's Spotter's Call are all the same debuff and don't stack with each other. As in a raid you will have at least one of those, they will be providing it so a Druid wouldn't have to worry about them.

Natural Dedication, Archon's Volcanic Bomb, and Beastmaster's Call of Savagery all provide the same buff and don't stack with each other. In a 20-man raid you will usually have an Archon that can deal with it. In a 10-man raid it might probably be up to you, if your guild allows you to run Druid.

In a solo situation you can put Natural Dedication up before the pull, as well as Thorn of Ire which doesn't generate aggro afaik. Though it will send your pet at the mob unless you have him on passive.

Eruption of Life only triggers from weapon attacks and due to rotation it the 5th hit happens just before or with the Combined Effort refresh.

It goes something like:
    Combined Effort
    Crushing Force
    Massive Blow(macroed below Combined Effort)
    Vex/Siphon Vitality
    Lightning Hammer
    Eruption of Life
    Fervent Strike
    Fervent Strike
    Fervent Strike
    Fervent Strike
    (Usually a 5th Fervent Strike sneaks in here. Natural Dedication could be refreshed here every 2 rotations if no Archon)

The 4 or 5 Fervent Strikes will consume Eruption of Life just in time for the rotation to start all over. And as your DoTs all last 15 seconds and there are 9 or 10 attacks before you get back to them in the rotation, you will generally get back to them just as they fall off.
    Last edited by Golladan; 01-10-2013 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yirk View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm feeling pretty comfortable with most of the cleric roles but Druid seems a bit too complex.

I can only macro two abilities, combined effort and fervent strike, then I need to maintain/refresh all these at the same time while in combat:

Eruption of life
    Thorns of Ire
    Crushing Force
    Natural Dedication
    Trickster Spirit
    Subtlety
    and possibly
    Lightning Hammer, Marrow Harvest, or Vex

These abilities are all expiring at different times and with the exception of Subtlety and Marrow Harvest, none of them have a cooldown thus preventing them from being in a macro. I need a big Karuulalert just to keep track of what needs to be refreshed. When is there time to take advantage of positional damage bonuses from fervent strike?

In addition, there are a lot of buffs to recast when I die:
    Through Step
    Fury of the Fae
    Aid of the Forest
    Spirit of ....
    Life Breach
    Summoned pet
    plus whatever buffs come from second and third souls.

As needed abilities:
    Fae Step
    Shield of Oak
    Peace of the Forest
    Hidden Path
    Strength of the Fae
    Fae Extraction
    Sleep
    Interrupt
    plus second and third soul abilities

Seems that this soul could be fixed up a bit to make it all fit together better.

Thanks for reading

Eruption of life - pain to use
    Thorns of Ire - not needed, the bard or archon or beastmaster will use this
    Crushing Force - once per 15s
    Natural Dedication - not needed, the bard or archon or beastmaster will use this
    Trickster Spirit- automatically applied when togged on (always)
    Subtlety - macro this or use it as a cooldown
    Lightning Hammer- probably not worth it to use
    Marrow Harvest - probably not worth it to use
    Vex - dps loss

As needed abilities:
    Fae Step - not a big deal to use, its off GCD and none of your other abilties will be usable anyways
    Shield of Oak - not needed ever
    Peace of the Forest - not needed ever
    Hidden Path - not needed
    Strength of the Fae - cooldown, macro it with subtlety
    Fae Extraction - not needed ever
    Sleep - not needed ever
    Interrupt - doesn't hurt to put on your bar but its unnessesary

There really isn't much to druid past maintaining 3-4 debuffs which is what any class has really. its far less complex than shaman. You just listed all the abilties that druids have, that doesn't mean you always have to use all of them. it's a flexible soul not a complex one
    Last edited by Redcruxs; 01-10-2013 at 10:22 AM.

Rift Chaser

Thanks! This is great information and a very doable rotation.

Last questions (maybe). Why would I pick the ranged fairy pet over the melee dps pet? As I understand it, pets ignore most mechanics. I see raptors standing in lava etc... The tool tip does not really explain the value of the ranged pet as I have to be in melee range anyway so why not my pet too?

Plane Walker

The Seer can handle AoE better. And it's ranged so any repositioning of the boss is unlikely to cause her to move.

I've seen both die to mechanics.

Rift Chaser

Does the melee pet generally produce higher single target dps provided that the boss does not move or kill him?

Rift Chaser

What does the druid bring to the table for raiding? It seems to have some nice additions but they are overwritten by other classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Yirk View Post
    What does the druid bring to the table for raiding? It seems to have some nice additions but they are overwritten by other classes.
    druid brings nothing to raiding exept dps or a bit of healing depending on what pet you use. it is more of a leveling/solo build. It does OK dps but not as much as inquisitor or shaman

lol yeah i wouldn't use druid in a raid. or even a 5 man to be honest. maybe a 10 man to fill in gaps. But I remember the cleric dev talking about how it was raid viable almost a year ago. It's not. The class has changed a bit but it's still the same... a soloing spec. I will admit now that -icar is gone, it is the best way to solo.

Quote Originally Posted by Golladan View Post
    Eruption of Life only triggers from weapon attacks and due to rotation it the 5th hit happens just before or with the Combined Effort refresh.
    Except if they changed that since the release of SL, that's wrong. Every damaging abilities will trigger one charge of Eruption of life, but only when the damage occurs. i.e. when using a dot, only on its first tick. You should therefor use this abilitiy twice in a 15 seconds rotation.
    <Apotheosys>@Typhiria
    World First 5-man Easy Mode 1/4 GP

+ Reply to Thread