Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Cleric Class Lead?

Quote Originally Posted by Misun View Post
    How can one person possibly *balance* the various souls and soul combinations of 2 classes?

I honestly don't see how this can be done, without something lacking in an area.

Yah maybe fulminate can start doing some heals too!
    Seastone (All Defiant; All the Time)
    [Seven Sisters] Guera, 70/100 Eth Rogue; Perlita, 70/100 Kelari Magician; Gitana 70 Eth Drugs/Outfits/Rings
    Carmelita 70/100 Eth Rogue Guns/Armor/Runes; Preciosa 70/76 Eth Magician; Chula 70/100 Kelari Rogue Survival

Something to consider is that since the souls aren't likely to be overhauled like they were in 1.11 for quite some time the actual workload for the class devs is much lower than it has been for the last 12 months. Conceivably Kervik could be doing 2 classes now and actually have less work, considering when you look at all the other things Zinbik did outside of just Clerics.

For the record, the devs can't do whatever they want with their class, even within the DPS/HPS/Mitigation parameters determined. Since so many people whinge and complain whenever abilities are removed/added/functions changed balance normally has to be done with numerical tweaks. Something I find abhorrent since it hamstrings the developers ability to be creative in their solutions.
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    Something to consider is that since the souls aren't likely to be overhauled like they were in 1.11 for quite some time the actual workload for the class devs is much lower than it has been for the last 12 months.
    T3 PA is about to hit, that is very likely to cause some imbalance options. Also there are still issues with the defiler, it's still very new and we are still exploring it in conjuntion with other souls.

It also means no more levels. There won't be an expansion next year without a dedicated class dev and the art team and who know in 2015 either?
    Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.
    འགྲོ་རྣམས་བྱང་ཆུབ་ཐོབ་ཕྱིར་དུ། །

Quote Originally Posted by Shibi View Post
    T3 PA is about to hit, that is very likely to cause some imbalance options. Also there are still issues with the defiler, it's still very new and we are still exploring it in conjuntion with other souls.
    How does T3 PA affect balance? Of course there are class issues, but what I'm trying to say is that the Class leads are no longer designing 9 souls and maintaining 8, they are maintaining 16. Which I doubt takes more time.
    Nope.

So given that Zinbik is gone, I assume Kervik and Daglar are stepping in every now and then because Trion may still be looking for a replacement. Once they find said replacement, said replacement will need to learn about all the souls and abilities and current fotm builds and possible builds and all that other stuff for the class. And know what the other classes do (to understand synergy between classes/etc).

I doubt Kervik will take over both Mage and Cleric duties for long. He's probably just helping with Cleric duties for now. Sort of like how they mentioned at some point between 1.11 and SL release, Atrius was getting help from the other 3 class lead devs in order to reach whatever benchmark they had set up for all the devs to meet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonus View Post
    So given that Zinbik is gone, I assume Kervik and Daglar are stepping in every now and then
    Ailion is doing Warrior and Rogue, Kervik Mage and Cleric.
    Nope.

Trion may still be looking for a replacement.
    Trion retrenched them. They would not get rid of two experienced staff then go right back out and hire new ones. I'm not sure about America but in my country that is illegal.

Either way, a huge slab of art, class devs gone too. No expansions or new content on the horizon after 2.2.
    Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    How does T3 PA affect balance?
    Who knows what T3 PA will do, this is the thing, balance becomes harder as changes come in, be it the players creating a build that previously didn't work or things tipping over the edge due to increased stats.

Maintaining 18 each. And they will be very experienced in one and not so experienced in the other, which is fine if you are a mage or a rogue.

Obviously you think it's ok? That core staff are sacked so that End of Nations can be made? Are we only a cash cow to be mmilked until there is hardly anyone left then bring in P2P?

Obviously you think it's ok? That core staff are sacked so that End of Nations can be made? Are we only a cash cow to be mmilked until there is hardly anyone left then bring in P2P?
    I never expressed any opinion about the situation. I was just making the observation that this doesn't necessarily mean the quality of class development will decline.
    Nope.

Trion retrenched them. They would not get rid of two experienced staff then go right back out and hire new ones. I'm not sure about America but in my country that is illegal.

Either way, a huge slab of art, class devs gone too. No expansions or new content on the horizon after 2.2.
    I dunno. Were they retrenched or just fired? I'm sure it isn't illegal to fire someone and then hire someone else. It would only be illegal (correct me if I'm wrong) if you fired them with the sole reason being that their position became redundant/was no longer needed; and then you proceeded to hire someone else for that same position.

And I keep seeing people mention that Kervik is now the Cleric+Mage lead and Ailion is now the Warrior+Rogue lead.
    Can someone link me to evidence of this other than speculation as a result of them posting on the respective classes' sub-forums a few times?
    Have they come out and stated "I am now the Mage AND Cleric class lead"? Have they stated they are now both classes' leads for now and into the future? Or are they in fact just temporarily looking after the respective classes?
    Daglar has also posted in each classes' sub-forums; Zinbik has posted in other class' sub-forums; Heck just recently Pithos wrote on the Cleric sub-forums about the Light of Redemption bug - from his posts, he's dabbled in Dimension Addons and Leaderboards.

Not saying you're all wrong, but is there concrete evidence of this?
    Last edited by Jonus; 01-06-2013 at 11:12 PM.

Not saying you're all wrong, but is there concrete evidence of this?
    The only concrete evidence we have is that our class dev has been shown the door and it happened well before Christmas.

There has been no talk of a replacement at all. That is an assumption, that Z was show the door though is factual as is Trion not telling us what's happening.

Plane Walker

Anyone else get the sneaking suspicion that warriors are going to change their complaints from "our class lead is the worst, wish we had someone like Ailion" to "our class lead is the worst, wish we had someone like Kervik"?

MNM
    Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Shoggoth1890 View Post
    Anyone else get the sneaking suspicion that warriors are going to change their complaints from "our class lead is the worst, wish we had someone like Ailion" to "our class lead is the worst, wish we had someone like Kervik"?
    They did that months ago.

Ascendant

I dunno it seems strange to me. I think it's fair to say that even though some of the Cleric playerbase could potentially be over critical at times there did seem to be a reluctance to engage and communicate on these forums.

There were a lot of pages created regarding percieved or real Cleric DPS or Tanking deficiencies for quite some time and the cryptic 1 liner responses once every 6 months didn't really help. Some other Clerics liked it and thought it was funny, but I can't say I agree with that.

But really, Rift is a great game and we've all enjoyed playing it and there's been plenty of MMOs released with no company forums at all so that's worth baring in mind. The word of layoffs was a real bummer but hopefully the game kicks on.
    Last edited by Malark; 01-07-2013 at 02:08 AM.

Rift Disciple

ive had this song stuck in my head all day now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZkYGcz1DgI

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast