+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Radak

Thread: Support with moderate damage?

Telaran

Default Support with moderate damage?

Hey all,

I'm wondering if clerics have an expert-ready support build that is capable of doing at least moderate ST damage during a boss fight. There are times with certain bosses or newer/less geared healers when a group could use extra heals, but I don't want to completely sacrifice damage to provide a bit of a heal boost. Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance!

Ascendant

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#Ek8M8/UkllaBhkix0/r

Something like that build can do decent DPS in a dungeon and support at same time. ST does 6kish, really good aoe damage and great spot heals + mitigation on group members.

defiler for sure

it does about 70% of the dps of inquisitor but can also put out big heals in a pinch

and on top of that you reduce the damage your tank takes by a huge margin making it easier for the other healer without even having to cast a heal

Telaran

Defiler is a great support option, but the thing about it that always bothered me is that it doesn't really have effective 'passive' heals. Sure, you get the FG procs on your linked allies from damage, but that is delayed healing, which can often be ineffective or complicated to use. And other than that, you are either directly doing damage, or directly healing. A fight that requires lots of support healing will require you to pretty much just heal, providing no DPS, and very little in the way of damage enhancing buffs(another important part of support).

Defilers are also rather weak at AoE heals, which is often what the support is expected to do, healing wise.

I've come up with some druid builds that are able to put out fairly solid damage(around 4kish, maybe 5-6kish during periods when no healing is needed), that put out both solid passive heals, as well as giving you the option of using the faerie healer pet for even higher healing output.

Druids also have the benefit of having pretty decent group buffs and target debuffs. No where near what a bard/archon/beastmaster can put out, buff-wise, but druids can at least cover some of the bigger ones, like AP/SP, 5% damage buff, and the Spotters Order/Coda of Jeopardy imitation.

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#r8J/DkF4na555g/qv54

The above listed build gives you access to any version of druid pet, salvation heals on the whole party, plus mandate which gives you double salv heals for the tank. Your melee spam will rely on strike of judgment from the justicar tree, instead of fervent strike from the druid tree, so that you get significantly higher salv heals. Then you put geyser from the warden tree underneath strike of judgment in your macro, so if you ever have any disconnects, or fights that require range only, you are still doing constant damage, as well as constant heals.

This build will be dealing out about 1k heals to each party member on every attack, and a fair bit more than that on the mandated tank. It has all of the most important Druid buffs and debuffs, and even has a cleanse from the warden tree.

You could also adjust it to your liking, putting more in druid if you don't care about the warden cleanse, or more into warden if you want the AoE cleanse.

If your group need a support there are few reasons.
    1) healer is undergeared. Heal it yourself alone.
    a) if you and healer are undergeared use pure ae healer to cover group
    2) tank is undergeared.
    a) 1mt heal and pure ae heal for undergeared DPSs
    b) 1mt heal and some kind of justicar builds (im using 48druid 23just)
    Usualy if tank is ungeared you will not have a time to heal grp, unless if you are a superb healer. you can heal experts alone with purisent, deep sentinel or defiler. and support realy doesnt matter.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by ottopaul View Post
    I've come up with some druid builds....
    While I fully agree that druid can be a powerful support class, and your build has some great tools, there are two fundamental problems.

A - I leveled with this build using the seer pet, so the boredom factor would be incredibly high (not the biggest issue)
    B - This is a melee build, and SL experts seem to not be terribly melee friendly.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Redcruxs View Post
    defiler for sure

it does about 70% of the dps of inquisitor but can also put out big heals in a pinch

and on top of that you reduce the damage your tank takes by a huge margin making it easier for the other healer without even having to cast a heal
    How deep would you recommend that I go into defiler to have adequate damage output and healing? What soul combinations?

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelightt View Post
    Something like that build can do decent DPS in a dungeon and support at same time. ST does 6kish, really good aoe damage and great spot heals + mitigation on group members.
    You have me intrigued -- is there a guide somewhere for this build? I've done a double-check of the "Guides" section but haven't found anything. I leveled as a druid and went heavy inquisitor for dps and pvp along the way, so I'm not terribly familiar with the two main souls you've used.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by ZakkyJenkins View Post
    While I fully agree that druid can be a powerful support class, and your build has some great tools, there are two fundamental problems.

A - I leveled with this build using the seer pet, so the boredom factor would be incredibly high (not the biggest issue)
    B - This is a melee build, and SL experts seem to not be terribly melee friendly.
    First point is valid, I can't argue that, but that's up to each person experience.

The second point makes me assume you didn't read it, and just stopped at 'druid'. The main point of the build as such is that it's usable at range. It puts out slightly more dps in melee, but pretty close at range, while putting out large heals.

RIFT Community Ambassador Radak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZakkyJenkins View Post
    You have me intrigued -- is there a guide somewhere for this build? I've done a double-check of the "Guides" section but haven't found anything. I leveled as a druid and went heavy inquisitor for dps and pvp along the way, so I'm not terribly familiar with the two main souls you've used.
    I use a build pretty similair to what he linked with a few changes. The build I use is this: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#E8g/UkllaBhkix0/n8s
    Originele I used 61/10/5 but I switched to this because it does slightly more dps. The main issue is losing the tank cd. I actually used the 61 version of this build for the first time during our last raid. And I was really surprised by the dps it does. The thing is defiler has a lot of damage boosting talents. 5% more damage in tier 1, 5% more damage in tier 2, 10% more damage when above 90% (really depends on the fight), 20% more death damage in tier 7 and 20% from rage blight with the tier 8 talent. And then a couple of talents that boost specific ability's. The main thing is the 20% more death and 20% more from blight combined with the 1% per point in defiler. The defiler has a some dots and delayed damage and this again is boosted by the cabalist talent. And the damage talent boost the dots you get from cabalist and vex from inquisitor.

With this build I do only slightly less damage then I do with inquisitor and when I made this build 5min before a raid start and had 0 time to setup karuulalert to keep track of all those dots I was still only slightly behind on dps on twins from when I used inquisitor and I think most of this is because of twins there is a decent amount on AoE preventing 1 of the talents from working, I wasn't in melee to trigger pain transmission from myself and because I often forgot the refresh dots (I also had the 61% version at the time which is slightly worse dps).

The dps order is as followed
    Pain transmission (if you can trigger 4 hits)
    Bonds of Pain
    Pain transmission (if you can't trigger 4 hits)
    Marrow Harvest
    Siphon Vitality (not online but thought it was here or below Dark Harbor)
    Dark Harbor
    Vex/Curse of discord (deal 100% identical damage so order doesn't matter just keep both up)
    Sanction Heretic
    Somatic Desecration

Most of these can just be macroed with the exceptions of Bonds of pain, siphon vitality, vex and curse of discord.

During movement just refresh dots early and if you refreshed all use tyranny or bound fate.

With this build in a raid it means there is no need on any fight for a separate defiler healer and you can still switch to grief blight and healing if things truly go bad in the raid.
    Cleric tanking: Justicar guide | Justicar spreadsheet and item list
    Defence is as much a part of war as offense, the shield as important a tool as the sword.

Quote Originally Posted by Radak View Post
    I use a build pretty similair to what he linked with a few changes. The build I use is this: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#E8g/UkllaBhkix0/n8s
    Originele I used 61/10/5 but I switched to this because it does slightly more dps. The main issue is losing the tank cd. I actually used the 61 version of this build for the first time during our last raid. And I was really surprised by the dps it does. The thing is defiler has a lot of damage boosting talents. 5% more damage in tier 1, 5% more damage in tier 2, 10% more damage when above 90% (really depends on the fight), 20% more death damage in tier 7 and 20% from rage blight with the tier 8 talent. And then a couple of talents that boost specific ability's. The main thing is the 20% more death and 20% more from blight combined with the 1% per point in defiler. The defiler has a some dots and delayed damage and this again is boosted by the cabalist talent. And the damage talent boost the dots you get from cabalist and vex from inquisitor.

With this build I do only slightly less damage then I do with inquisitor and when I made this build 5min before a raid start and had 0 time to setup karuulalert to keep track of all those dots I was still only slightly behind on dps on twins from when I used inquisitor and I think most of this is because of twins there is a decent amount on AoE preventing 1 of the talents from working, I wasn't in melee to trigger pain transmission from myself and because I often forgot the refresh dots (I also had the 61% version at the time which is slightly worse dps).

The dps order is as followed
    Pain transmission (if you can trigger 4 hits)
    Bonds of Pain
    Pain transmission (if you can't trigger 4 hits)
    Marrow Harvest
    Siphon Vitality (not online but thought it was here or below Dark Harbor)
    Dark Harbor
    Vex/Curse of discord (deal 100% identical damage so order doesn't matter just keep both up)
    Sanction Heretic
    Somatic Desecration

Most of these can just be macroed with the exceptions of Bonds of pain, siphon vitality, vex and curse of discord.

During movement just refresh dots early and if you refreshed all use tyranny or bound fate.

With this build in a raid it means there is no need on any fight for a separate defiler healer and you can still switch to grief blight and healing if things truly go bad in the raid.
    Absolutely trying this out tonight for fun on my Cleric.

Love my Cleric but I really end up tanking 95+% of the time and the other 5% I go Inquisitor. Will be nice if this works out for me dps wise so I can have a good support spec when we don't need (x) amount of tanks in a raid.

Appreciate the post!
    The mind of a perfect man is like a mirror. It grasps nothing. It expects nothing. It reflects but does not hold. Therefore, the perfect man can act without effort.
    New battle theme for the awesome racial changes: Big bouncing Bhami, bravely bounding by bizarre beasts, before battle begins.

+ Reply to Thread