+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Coming back to Rift after a few months...

Plane Touched

Default Coming back to Rift after a few months...

...and just wondering where I should start with Storm Legion.

Last time I played was sometime in March/April 2012, way before Storm Legion. Really only ran dungeons and the occasional pug raid, had pretty much all of the standard badge/token/whatever epics from the vendor, for my heal set and some for my tank set.

Now I'm wondering:

-Which spec to use for healing dungeons?
    -Which spec for leveling?

Healing, everyone seems to say "Sentinel", so is the "Lodestar" default build good enough? I'm not looking for 110% min-max here, because I'm only looking to do dungeons while I level to 60. (And then heal dungeons/experts at 60)

And speaking of leveling, Druid is best for leveling, right? Is the default spec good, or is there a specific spec to use? Or something better? I remember back in the day, everyone would say "Duracell duracell duracell", but really, I hated Duracell. Yes, it had 0 downtime, but its damage was pitiful compared to actual DPS specs.
    Last edited by Erethzium; 01-03-2013 at 01:24 PM.

Sentinel is great for healing dungeons. Don't know how the purpose's points are but basically just as many points in Sent as you can and the rest in Puri, and you're good. You could dip into warden to get some AoE healing but if you make mouseoverui macros you can spot-heal damaged party members easily with ST heals.

For leveling I would use 16 Justicar (for even justice, righteous mandate, salvation, at least 1 pt in reparation) and the rest druid, you want to use the tank pet. Once you get Spirit of Upheaval that makes the tank pet's AoE capability insane. Just make sure to toggle off its AoE ability for single-target fights because its ST ability is much stronger.

There are also options with Defiler but I haven't tried them so can't comment.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 01-03-2013 at 01:29 PM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    Sentinel is great for healing dungeons. Don't know how the purpose's points are but basically just as many points in Sent as you can and the rest in Puri, and you're good. You could dip into warden to get some AoE healing but if you make mouseoverui macros you can spot-heal damaged party members easily with ST heals.
    So basically go 61 Sentinel and put the rest into Purifier? Remember I'm only level 50 right now, so I can only put 51 points into Sentinel. Should I just put the rest into Puri for now?

For leveling I would use 16 Justicar (for even justice, righteous mandate, salvation, at least 1 pt in reparation) and the rest druid, you want to use the tank pet. Once you get Spirit of Upheaval that makes the tank pet's AoE capability insane. Just make sure to toggle off its AoE ability for single-target fights because its ST ability is much stronger.
    I'm assuming I use a 2h weapon for leveling, as well? Or 1h + shield? Or 1h+totem?
    Last edited by Erethzium; 01-03-2013 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Erethzium View Post
    So basically go 61 Sentinel and put the rest into Purifier? Remember I'm only level 50 right now, so I can only put 51 points into Sentinel. Should I just put the rest into Puri for now?
    Yes, you get one point per level after 50 so they'll all go in Sent.

I'm assuming I use a 2h weapon for leveling, as well? Or 1h + shield? Or 1h+totem?
    2h or 1h+totem. Weapon DPS doesn't affect your abilities as a cleric so go by stats. A shield will just reduce your spellpower which you need for healing yourself and your pet, as well as damage.

As you level simply keep your Sentinel maxed and dump the remaining points in Purifier. There is a guide in the guides section for macros, add-ons etc.

While leveling, if you go Druid/Justicar you will use a 2 hander most of the time. As to if it will be a hammer or a staff, just depends on drops, dungeons and quest rewards but I used a 2-handed hammer 90% of my time soloing.

There is also a Druid/Justicar guide in the guids section and they are very well updated and kept up-to-date. So don't worry about using any of the new guides and failing because of it, they are pretty top notch.
    The mind of a perfect man is like a mirror. It grasps nothing. It expects nothing. It reflects but does not hold. Therefore, the perfect man can act without effort.
    New battle theme for the awesome racial changes: Big bouncing Bhami, bravely bounding by bizarre beasts, before battle begins.

Plane Touched

2h or 1h+totem. Weapon DPS doesn't affect your abilities as a cleric so go by stats. A shield will just reduce your spellpower which you need for healing yourself and your pet, as well as damage.
    So I should use the 1h+totem? Because I get more wisdom/SP with 1h+totem that I've got, than the 2h that I've got.

So I should use the 1h+totem? Because I get more wisdom/SP with 1h+totem that I've got, than the 2h that I've got.
    Yes

/10char

Plane Touched

Hrm...I seem to be doing higher damage with the 2H that I have; it only reduces my Wisdom/SP by a little bit though. And it has a fire damage proc. AoE is really nice, but mobs are too damn spread out to pull big groups of them. Single target, mobs die in ~13 seconds. Is that good or terrible?

Healing-wise, I tried out the first Storm Legion dungeon, and healing was...crappy. Using the Sentinel/Purifier spec, my single target was just "OK", but aoe healing sucked. Not that there was a whole lot of AoE to heal in the first place though. That and the tank kept getting smashed by bosses, to the point where I had to be constantly spamming him with HI's to keep him up. Not sure if that was just the tank being undergeared or what; he only had 11k HP, while I have ~17k HP in my crappy badge gear tank set.

Is Purifier still viable in dungeons though? I really liked being able to put big heals on the tank, as well as a decent shield, with the same spell, as well as being able to shield the whole group with one spell. Overhealing the tank to group heal was pretty neat too. Or did they remove those spells?

Plane Touched

Okay, I have a question about healing:

What exactly happened to AoE healing? It seems like every single AoE heal got nerfed into the ground, and you only have one or two AoE healing spells now.

Sentinel's AoE is rather "meh", with talented Healing Breath being better than Healing Communion; Warden only seems to have a single AoE heal that ticks for like...100 every second, and Purifier doesn't even have any AoE heals, only weak AoE shields.

Wtf happened to AoE healing?

And what happened to specs in general? I remember having a ton of fun doing 51puri in dungeons, just spamhealing the tank and healing the group with that "overheal heals the group" buff. Or using an Icar build and aoeing the **** out of things to heal. Now healing seems to just be...spamheal the tank or spamheal the group.
    Last edited by Erethzium; 01-04-2013 at 10:35 AM.

Okay, I have a question about healing:

What exactly happened to AoE healing? It seems like every single AoE heal got nerfed into the ground, and you only have one or two AoE healing spells now.

Sentinel's AoE is rather "meh", with talented Healing Breath being better than Healing Communion; Warden only seems to have a single AoE heal that ticks for like...100 every second, and Purifier doesn't even have any AoE heals, only weak AoE shields.

Wtf happened to AoE healing?

And what happened to specs in general? I remember having a ton of fun doing 51puri in dungeons, just spamhealing the tank and healing the group with that "overheal heals the group" buff. Or using an Icar build and aoeing the **** out of things to heal. Now healing seems to just be...spamheal the tank or spamheal the group.
    lol you MIGHT want to take another look at warden...

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Redcruxs View Post
    lol you MIGHT want to take another look at warden...
    It might have been the default spec thing, I think it was mostly Sentinel with only ~15 points in Warden. I haven't tried full Warden yet.

Rift Disciple

Hrm...I seem to be doing higher damage with the 2H that I have; it only reduces my Wisdom/SP by a little bit though. And it has a fire damage proc. AoE is really nice, but mobs are too damn spread out to pull big groups of them. Single target, mobs die in ~13 seconds. Is that good or terrible?

Healing-wise, I tried out the first Storm Legion dungeon, and healing was...crappy. Using the Sentinel/Purifier spec, my single target was just "OK", but aoe healing sucked. Not that there was a whole lot of AoE to heal in the first place though. That and the tank kept getting smashed by bosses, to the point where I had to be constantly spamming him with HI's to keep him up. Not sure if that was just the tank being undergeared or what; he only had 11k HP, while I have ~17k HP in my crappy badge gear tank set.

Is Purifier still viable in dungeons though? I really liked being able to put big heals on the tank, as well as a decent shield, with the same spell, as well as being able to shield the whole group with one spell. Overhealing the tank to group heal was pretty neat too. Or did they remove those spells?
    AOE healing, across the board, have been hit with a huge nerf hammer - spot healing with ST heals is the way to go for sure, unless you are a chloro (especially since they have a beneficial bug right now).

11k for a tank in SL is beyond laughable - that would not have been acceptable before the expansion. Chances are s/he's just in dps gear, since there are no (as in zero) tank quest rewards in SL. Personally, I gave up on pug healing instances quickly, until I hit 60.
    History is not written by those who are right,
    But by those who are left.

Plane Touched

Ooh, yeah, that's much better. Tried a 41 warden / 21 Sent (for Enraptured Breath) build, and that's working out so much better. Good tank heals with SS and other HoTs, while having a ****ton of AoE heals as well. And Shared Excess! The thing I loved from Purifier pre-expansion! <3

Ooh, yeah, that's much better. Tried a 41 warden / 21 Sent (for Enraptured Breath) build, and that's working out so much better. Good tank heals with SS and other HoTs, while having a ****ton of AoE heals as well. And Shared Excess! The thing I loved from Purifier pre-expansion! <3
    Keep in mind that warden is a raid healing build, and shines in groups with 10 or more players. For healing 5-man groups it is much more efficient to use sentinel and use Healing Breath as your "aoe heal". Once you get to experts, you are not going to be able to heal the tank with that build. There's never a time in an expert where the whole group takes too much damage to heal one by one, unless they are failing mechanics. If you are having the trouble keeping the group up while tank healing, ask for support healing.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 01-04-2013 at 12:56 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast