+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Healing in 5 man experts?

Telaran

Default Healing in 5 man experts?

Hi all,

So I hit 60, and got my hit well above 300 before I tried an expert. I ran DPS for the first one (we had a chloro healer) and it went fine. Then tried a second one and wanted to give healing a shot. I had 360 hit. It was Empyrean Core and I was healing it as 54 puri/warden.

The 2nd pull is that group of dudes in tanks that turn into 4 mobs. The first time the tank died as I was totally not expecting that amount of damage. The second time he lived, but I had to use both of my tank cool downs. Also, even with both cooldowns blown, I had to spam Ward of Scorching so I was OOM after the first fight.

Tank pulle 2nd group after my cooldowns were back (ugh) and he died again. He got really frustrated (I guess I can understand that?) and asked chloro to heal. Chloro was sitting at 400 hit, so slightly better gear but not by a ton. Chloro healed it fine.

Then after seeing some of the other bosses, particularly the Doctor, I know I couldn't have handled the group damage in purifier.

I might add that I did a ton of raid healing pre-expansion and never had a problem with the amount of damage being dealt, especially to a tank as purifier. I might expect this at fresh 300 hit, but I'm already halfway to raid-ready.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Telaran

I would consider looking into switching specs to either 61sent/15warden or 54puri/22sent for better, more consistent tank and group heals in SL. I know that the 61def/15sent is also getting a lot of attention, but it is not my PERSONAL preference. I don't have any links to builds offhand, but check out the guides section of the forums and I'm sure it won't take long to find links to these builds. Also, don't be afraid to ask your support to actually use a support spec

61sent/15Puri.

Win.
    SwiftFury - 4/4, 4/5 -Retired

http://coriolisguild.enjin.com/

Oceanic Guild is currently Recruiting.

Telaran

Interesting, thanks for the input, guys. Purifier and warden were always my healing specs of choice, but I'll give 61 sent a shot! Is it really better than purifier at tank healing? I can't imagine how that could be possible, but I'll try anything at this point.

it is way better then puri is right now and you have tons of cool downs to us as well you just cant ever get caught up after a big hit with puri or like you were explaining on that pull a lot of fairly hard hits puri just doesn't have the HPS to get the tank toped back off.. and to add to this chloros are bugged and will not be able to heal like they do now when and if they fix it.

The first groups of enemies in Empyrean Core have always been difficult to heal in any spec, Puri will have more difficulty because of the amount of damage the tank takes. That said, 54 Puri/22 Sent is just as capable of healing experts but requires much more advance knowledge of the fights, and you must keep symbol of the sun on party members at all times to counteract group damage, that is your only tool to do so other than healing breath/healing flare. 61 Sent has many more tools to deal with damage but it requires much more active usage of abilities than Puri.

Just to touch on something you mentioned, Purifier is not really a tank healing spec anymore. It is a shielding spec, its strength is in keeping symbol of the sun/caregiver's blessing/sign of faith on many people while using Wards on the tank, which is very effective in 5 man content because you only have a few people to watch. Its pure tank healing output is limited pretty much to Spiritual Conflagration, everything else is very weak and mostly exists to apply shielding.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 01-03-2013 at 08:46 AM.

Telaran

Thanks for the additional insight! Any thoughts on this build? 55 sent, 24 defiler.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...jguzhdusRq.-11

Quote Originally Posted by epilepticemu View Post
    Thanks for the additional insight! Any thoughts on this build? 55 sent, 24 defiler.

I'm not that familiar with defiler but Faith Rewarded is basically the best ability in Sentinel, you don't want to skip it.

Don't feel too bad. Chloro veils are bugged right now and can do crazy good heal numbers. As it stands right now they are the far better healers. We are all gonna cry when this gets fixed.

61 Sent does take a while to get used to, so when you try it don't be surprised if you need support. Also, don't be afraid to use your massive amount of cds.

Regarding Chloro being bugged atm, so is Sent. I've yet to try it out, but I believe spamming Subtle Invocation is as effective if not more so than Healing Invocation.

GL. xxx

Quote Originally Posted by Merridwyn View Post
    I've yet to try it out, but I believe spamming Subtle Invocation is as effective if not more so than Healing Invocation.
    I don't recommend this at all. Sure, the lower cast time is appealing but it still doesn't have the healing output necessary... even coupled with the passives healing more than they should. Maybe in a normal you can spam Subtle but in Experts, Healing Invocation is still the best.

To the OP: I'd recommend at least going 58 points into your build (and at that point might as well go 61). Faith Rewarded is a great passive healing proc when you're in experts especially when it comes to AOE damage. Your AOE healing is pathetic in Sent and once your Divine Call is down, using Marked By The Light and Healing Breath will be your AOE group heal.

You'll also want at least 0 Puri if you're going to try your aforementioned build. Keeping up Symbol of the Torch on your group will help negate some of the healing you'll have to do for AOE splash damage as they'll absorb it. Also, applying SOTT will heal them a bit from Healer's Blessing (since it procs off of absorbs.)

In fact, I still recommend 61 Sent / 15 Puri because you'll receive Healing Flare from Purifier. Toss that in a @mouseover macro and you've got an awesome quick way to top people off while you're moving (or standing still.)

Have fun =).

For reference I have a cleric and Mage both sitting at 424 hit, so well geared for experts. Even 54/22 puri/sent is very very hard to heal experts with compared to 61 sent. With how bugged sent is right now spamming subtle invocation is by far your most efficient way to heal. Your proc heals (keep marked by the light up) are the majority of your healing output. If the tank gets in a bad spot use fullness of life, vigilance, or tol+flashover+crucial inv. Healing breath and marked by the light are more than sufficient for aoe heals for 5 man content and I can solo heal every fight except third boss in exodus. 61/15 sent/puri. Oh and chloro is massively bugged I've done like 10k hps in experts with lots of aoe damage.

dbe
    General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by epilepticemu View Post

A new thing since you last played - each soul has a "gift", and Zam doesn't show it for defiler. But every point in a healing soul for clerics gives 1% more healing, while every point in defiler gives 0.5% more. This means if you are primarily using sentinel spells, they will be weaker than if you had put those 24 points into ward or puri.

On the other hand, if you go deep into defiler, you could really either go with your spare points in a heal or damage soul, depending on your needs, as defiler is a hybrid spec. For example I have a 61 defiler build with points in cab and inquis, but I primarily use this in dungeons as a support spec, so I mostly do damage with occasional heals. If I were to primarily heal with it, I'd pop those 15 into one of the heal trees.

For new people I'd recommend 61 Sent 15 Pur. The ST heals are very strong, you have a little mobility when needed, and enough aoe heals to get by (usually). The only "trick" is that you have a ton of cooldowns and it takes some practice to use them at the right time. And don't feel weird about using cooldowns on trash, my gear is a lot better than when I hit 60 and I still do it. For some dungeons, the first couple trash pulls are the hardest hitting things in the place.
    Last edited by dbe; 01-03-2013 at 06:26 PM.

I was in the same boat, using the 54 Puri/Warden spec when I first tried to heal experts...wow was it terrible. That spec is just not up to par for the kind of dmg tanks can take in experts. I loved my Puri/Warden spec and still am having trouble finding an alternative that I really feel comfortable healing with.

I tried a 58/18 Sent/Warden spec and I am back to a 61 Sent/Puri spec atm, but I just cant get my head around cleric healing (Side note: was a chloro healer pre 1.11)
    Avyrice@Greybriar - Mage
    Avraeya@Greybriar - Rogue

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by dead2soon View Post
    Don't feel too bad. Chloro veils are bugged right now and can do crazy good heal numbers. As it stands right now they are the far better healers. We are all gonna cry when this gets fixed.
    1. You make it sound like chloro healing was hard before the bug.

2. Clerrics are affrected by the bug as well. I have seen 2 specs affected. Defiler and warden. Chloros are better snipe healers in general.

Imo sent is a great dungeon healing spec for my flavor.
    Last edited by Reticularize; 01-04-2013 at 09:13 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast