+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to clerics and pvp

Rift Disciple

Default New to clerics and pvp

so i recently started up my cleric alt to level to 60 and i was wanting to do some pvp as i love the look of the level 50 guardian colonel quartermaster gear. problem is i never pvp so im pretty bad at it. was just looking for some advice on what my best options are regarding specs and a few pointers would be good lol.

Well, that's a pretty tall order to fill. I'd start by asking yourself what you are most comfortable doing under pressure.

For DPS, Inq is a safe bet as you do your job from ranged, and have a few escape tools to get pesky melee off you until teammates can swat them down. Nyser's Rebuke is your big nuke, but it has a lengthy CD, with one other ability to reset it for massive burst combined with BoD procs, but you can be interrupted by a decent player...so time it so it's used when your target is already occupied.

I can't speak much on melee as a cleric due to melee itself being a PITA in Rift in general. If you decide you want to try it, make sure you know all your abilities like the back of your hand, and have a pocket healer if you know a buddy.

Healing is by far and away our strong suit in PvP, and all our healing souls can be used to great effect provided you know how to position yourself well in the field. Sent is the spec you'll want to get to know first, as it's debatably the only healing soul we have at the moment that can decently handle the massive burst SL has dropped in our laps.

I would also advise getting used to warden as well if your team already has a couple Sent's in the mix, as you'll be able to negate most of the AoE damage spammed by bad players hoping for cheap kills. But don't expect to keep focus targets up with it.

As always, check the cleric guides section to be up to date on the ongoing spec discussions, as most of us are still attempting to find a comfortable build that jives with a lot of situations. A ton of our hybrid builds of yore have been rendered moot, so I would suggest trying out a mix of the souls you enjoy to find the right tools for your playstyle.

Hope this helped ya a bit..now I'm gonna hit the sack..
    Lasthope - Cleric
    Newhope - Salty Healing Mage Re-roll
    <Ready Check>
    Prime Progress: GSB 5/5 RoS 4/4 RotP 4/4

Ok, so before I dozed off..a couple more things about healing.

1. When playing Sent, save a CD or two for yourself. You ain't healing anybody dead. And you have a ability to reset all of them on a 2-min timer. Use them all.

2. Cleansing is just as important as healing. If they aren't gonna die in 2 secs, pop a cleanse on them. They can't keep folks off you if they have 3 solid lines of debuffs. Puri has a mega cleanse all in Sterilize for one target, Sent has a reduced GCD if a cleanse is used as well as a AoE cleanse on a 10 sec timer..pop it everytime it's up if you can spare the time. And Warden's new AoE cleanse over time is beyond OP, keep that baby rolling everytime you see it light up.
    Lasthope - Cleric
    <Ready Check>

Rift Disciple

thank you heaps for the reply Valavus. that should help alot. im currently only 44 (trying to make the most of my 100% favor vials before 50) so some options are still limited to me but i that gives me something to work wtih. at the moment im just running a simple 16 defiler/40 cabalist/2 warden which is what i use for solo and its not very good. though i'll give inquisitor a try and try my hand at cleric healing.

thanks for your help

Cab is terrible in PvP from my experience, due to most AoE damage in PvP being absorbed by Wardens on the other team padding their numbers. It does have decent CC options, but it lacks survivability. Also, stop using those pots. Valor is bolstered at level 60, so you won't be required to have a full set of valor gear to survive initially. Also, the current PvP gear upgrade system is extremely gated, and as such, you will cap favor over and over long before you have anything else to spend it on.
    Lasthope - Cleric
    <Ready Check>

Rift Disciple

okay that's good to hear. thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Valavus View Post
    Cab is terrible in PvP from my experience, due to most AoE damage in PvP being absorbed by Wardens on the other team padding their numbers. It does have decent CC options, but it lacks survivability. Also, stop using those pots. Valor is bolstered at level 60, so you won't be required to have a full set of valor gear to survive initially. Also, the current PvP gear upgrade system is extremely gated, and as such, you will cap favor over and over long before you have anything else to spend it on.
    cab is awesome in pvp.

1. you need 51 to 54 points in cab. so you get the second "stun"
    2. aoe is only good to keep ppl from grabing crystals.
    3. you want to keep cab in "single target mode"
    4. bound fate is good, and you dont have to be facing your target.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noriega View Post
    You seem to be making excuses for bad changes. Cleric version of battered wife syndrome.

+ Reply to Thread