+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Block

Soulwalker

Default Block

As of 1.11:
    BLOCK AND DEFLECT
    The mitigation from a successful Block/Deflect is now fixed at 30 %. It is no longer increased by Block/Deflect rating. However, this value can be increased by specific soul abilities. Block/Deflect rating now only increases chance to Block/Deflect.
    I'd like to make sure that I am still understanding this correctly because the new gear available is a bit confusing. As clerics, we still block. We don't dodge or parry very well. Therefore if I understand the patch notes correctly, I still stack Block (or Wisdom since it is 1:1 for Block).

Currently, with a block rating of 2464, the tooltip shows 31.38% chance to block with 34% blocked. Do I really block 34%, or is it capped to 30% as described in the patch notes?

Sicne all of this seems normal...why i nthe world does all our tank gear have +dodge or +parry instead of +block?

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Knox Promethean View Post
    As of 1.11:

I'd like to make sure that I am still understanding this correctly because the new gear available is a bit confusing. As clerics, we still block. We don't dodge or parry very well. Therefore if I understand the patch notes correctly, I still stack Block (or Wisdom since it is 1:1 for Block).

Currently, with a block rating of 2464, the tooltip shows 31.38% chance to block with 34% blocked. Do I really block 34%, or is it capped to 30% as described in the patch notes?

Sicne all of this seems normal...why i nthe world does all our tank gear have +dodge or +parry instead of +block?
    Tank gear has block as well, depending on what gear you get.

You get +4% block amount from talents.

Information I was told was a bit different than what we where used to. Recently they changed all avoidance to be on one roll. So what it does is take your block %, parry %, dodge % and add it up. Then rolls to see if you avoid or not. If you do, then it breaks it down to if it was a dodge, block, or parry. In the case of block, the 34% is how much of the damage is absorbed during that block (with talents).

If I'm wrong please correct me. But to my understanding that's how things changed with the 2.0 mix up.

RIFT Community Ambassador Radak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rath View Post
    Information I was told was a bit different than what we where used to. Recently they changed all avoidance to be on one roll.
    It's actually the exact opposit.
    Miss, parry and dodge used to be one roll.
    If you lost the roll there was a second roll for block.
    If you lost that roll it was a hit.

However the full 1.11 notes said the following
    BLOCK AND DEFLECT
    The mitigation from a successful Block/Deflect is now fixed at 30 %. It is no longer increased by Block/Deflect rating. However, this value can be increased by specific soul abilities.
    Block/Deflect rating now only increases chance to Block/Deflect.

PARRY AND DODGE
    The hard caps for parry and dodge chance have been set at 40 %. There are no soft caps for either of them.
    The chance to parry derived from each point of Parry Rating is now similar to the chance to dodge derived from each point of Dodge Rating.
    The chance to miss, parry, or dodge are now rolled independently instead of on a single determination chance.
    So it's first a roll for miss.
    If you lose there's a second roll for parry.
    If you lose there's a third roll for dodge.
    If you lose there's a fourth roll for block.
    If you lose it's a hit.

Avoidance wise the order of the roll for miss, parry and dodge doesn't matter (block as last does matter) and will give you the same amount of avoidance.

(small example).
    If you have 5% miss, 20% parry, 10% dodge and the order as I just posted you get the following:
    1*(1-0.05)=0.95 (miss)
    0.95*(1-0.20)=0.76 (parry)
    0.76*(1-0.10)=0.684 (dodge)
    So a 68.4% chance to take damage
    If you calculate it in a different order you will get the exact same result.

Because of the way this works it's best to stack either dodge or parry for max avoidance.
    Lets chance the last example to 5% miss, 15% parry and 15% dodge (total % is the same and some parry just shifted to dodge).
    (1-0.05)*(1-0.15)*(1-0.15)=0.686375
    So a 68.64% chance to take damage or 0.24% less total avoidance (ignored block in both cases) even though you have the same total amount of avoidance. (though the difference stays small with the max being at 40% parry 0% dodge vs 20% parry 20% dodge to be only a 3.8% difference but those are impossable values anyway)
    Cleric tanking: Justicar guide | Justicar spreadsheet and item list
    Defence is as much a part of war as offense, the shield as important a tool as the sword.

Block come first, or they changed it ?
    Last edited by starg; 12-20-2012 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Knox Promethean View Post
    As of 1.11:

Block rating now only affects block chance. It does not affect block reduction. It used to affect both. That is basically the only change to how block works.

So block reduction is now 30% for everyone, but talents can increase it, such as the 4% one in Justicar.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 12-20-2012 at 10:54 AM.

+ Reply to Thread