+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which 61 pt souls are viable?

Telaran

Default Which 61 pt souls are viable?

Hi All,

My main in Classic Rift was a Warrior, I have one of each soul, and about 6 weeks before SL launch decided i would focus on my Cleric.

I prefer tanking, followed by DPS; but since the Cleric seems to have so many options (hence why its my new main), I would like to get into Healing & Support.

I have utilised all 6 souls, with simple builds just as a "filler', like 61 Warden for raids, 61 Sent for dungeons and 61 Puri for support. but when i finally got chances to try them out, I had no problems doing the core role - ie AE / ST heals or heavy shield/absorbs.. by my DPS was crap.

I often see in dungeons Choloro's or Bards who can match or even out heal me, but also do massive dps.

Also, i am finding it hard to find any updated guides, most of which are still focused on DPS (Shaman / Inq) or around Defiler (which i dont like atm)

So two questions really... are having 61 pt builds a waste... ???
    And what is a build which allows me to provide heals / support while still giving decent dps?

Many thanks

No

Defiler and druid

Telaran

For the most part people right now believe that *only* 61 point builds are viable, that no hybrid specs are able to compete with the full 61pt versions of the same souls.

This isn't exactly true, but it is true that most souls get a lot out of going a full 61 points in.

For tanking, you absolutely wanna go 61 points into justicar, as it is our only tank tree, our only tree that gives 'tanky' gift percentages per point spent in the soul. The extra 15 points can go into a few potential places, altho 6 in shaman and 6 in inquis will give you the highest tanking potential, with the last 3 going further into either sham or inq, based on preference. But until you vastly overgear content, you would not gain a worthwhile benefit(vs lost endurance and mitigation) by going beyond 15 points in any side tree, with less than 61 in justi.

And as far as our DPS souls go, each of them has a fairly strong 61 point root ability, so the most commonly considered 'top' dps specs involve 61 in the favored soul, with only the remaining 15 points being up for much debate about which side tree's will give the most benefit.

Healing is where you're most likely to find people commonly using 'hybrid'(less than 61 point) builds. Although even still, most of the healing souls have reasons for going 61 points in. But much of the current content calls for AoE cleanses, as well as fast cleansing, which you get from 21 points in sentinel. So there are several viable healing builds that involve 21+ points in sentinel, while being mostly another healing soul. My current favorite build for solo healing experts is 40 defiler/28 sentinel/8 puri.

As far as the defiler soul goes, i'd say a 61 point build is better suited to 'support/dps', with the remaining 15 points in damage soul trees, such as cabalist. The combo I listed above for defiler healing puts out much higher actual heals than a 61 point defiler ever could. The only *healing* benefit the defiler soul gives beyond 40 points in is the 25% link at 58 points and the 61 point cooldown, which is possibly the single best tank healing cooldown in the whole game.

Quote Originally Posted by Auraka Sith View Post
    I often see in dungeons Choloro's or Bards who can match or even out heal me, but also do massive dps.
    I hear this a bug having something to do with passive healing abilities (like veil) are healing for double what they were intended. I wouldn't expect this discrepancy to be an issue for to much longer.

61 point builds are very reliable for the most part, but going 54 points and the rest in a sub-soul are very popular as well.
    "Overall we want the various callings to be competitive with each other in their comparative roles. There isnít a mandate that Rogues do more damage than Warriors or that Mages be the best ranged damage in the game. Ideally we would like to see players with equivalent skill, gear, planar attunement, buffs etc be equally effective at damage, tanking or healing." - Kervik

Telaran

Thanks, much appreciated

Telaran

Also, as far as your support build with both DPs *and* heals, hybrids might be your best bet.

61 defiler is often considered a support build, and it can fill that role in many situations... But defiler either heals *or* DPS's... not both at the same times. It's main support comes from the links, which do indeed give a strong benefit, even if it often goes unnoticed. People will think it was just a really smooth dungeon run, and not realize that the links on the tank and others are a large part of what smoothed things over... they will just see that you put out half the damage of the other DPS players, and very little actual healing, and assume that you weren't carrying your weight.

Druid combined with justicar in varying degree's of point distribution can be a very very solid support. You can keep the faerie healer out, letting it put out very solid amounts of healing, while you just do damage, with your damage causing smaller but not useless salvation heals on the group.

One problem, if you go all into druid and justi, you will lack any real ranged capabilities, which can suck in the incredibly melee-unfriendly experts. I've toyed around with a few really wonky hybrid builds that can kinda fix this.

My favorite version being something like this http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#rt50/DkF4hgEEJw/qv54 . With this build, you rely on justicar attacks(for higher salvations), which are buffed up by the points in druid so they do a bit of damage.

The points in warden give you both higher salvation heals as well as geyser, which you can put in your macro underneath your melee attacks, so whenever you can't be in melee, you start geysering. Geyser isn't all that great for damage, but it's something, and it's instant cast. And when the geysers healing is paired with salvation, each geyser cast heals the group for around 1kish. The points in warden also have a gift that helps both healing AND damage, and you even get a cleanse out of it all!

1) 61pt builds are VIABLE, but they are generally very specialized, only good at one things. There are of course a few exceptions (Shaman AoE, Sentinel AoE), but all in all 61pt builds are very strong at what they do. Hybrids on the other hand are very good at being prepared for most things. They won't win a race against a 61pt tree in the role the 61pointer is specialized in, but they will be more able to change roles or play multiple roles in a fight. Druid for example has 3 different roles locked up in it that can be switched between with a 2 second cast.

2)You might want to be a bit more specific on wanting to do heals and support and what exactly decent DPS is to you. If 1,000 is decent dps, 61 sentinel is nice for overhealing. If you don't have to be a powerful healer though, supporting a dungeon for example, druidicar (80% druid 20%justicar) might fit that bill. They can use a DPS pet when there's not much healing, but still put out heals from Salvation/Reparation. If heals are about to be needed, they can pull out the greater fairy pet and she can go to town healing the party at a cost to your dps.
    |Cleric||<Everlasting Vendetta>||Greybriar|

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    I wanted to come out and say the following pretty definitively: There is no goal to make DPS clerics that DPS do less damage than other callings. ~Daglar

+ Reply to Thread