+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Cleric Tank - Need some help please

  1. #1
    Telaran
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    80

    Default Cleric Tank - Need some help please

    Hi All,

    I finally attempted my first Expert in SL just now.
    As a Cleric tank, and I got smashed.

    330 Toughness, 360 Hit, and 40.5k HP.
    Yet I still take 7-10k hits from melee damage
    (magical damage is just fine)

    So what am I doing wrong?
    Or is this how it is, tanks get smashed, & healers have to go into overdrive to keep them alive?


    Anyway.. .would hope someone can tell me there is a way to slash the amount of melee style damage I am taking.... 52k armour (or 41.5 %) seems to do nothing.

    I am wearing the full set of IS tanking gear (first lot), with epic head, belt and rings.
    I can only improve my amour by A. upgrading everything (several thousand more IS) or getting RAID gear.... (oh wait.. I cant even tank a expert... so that's not going to happen)


    Guess I will keep on farming... and try experts again in 3 months time

  2. #2
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    483

    Default

    That's how it is. Some bosses (UV-315 for example) will hit you for up to 15k on normal attacks.

  3. #3
    Plane Touched Lyannah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    228

    Default

    Yep thats how it is. Support makes a huge difference.

  4. #4
    RIFT Guide Writer TheGrinnz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    10,817

    Default

    It largely depends on the dungeon. Trash mobs at the beginning of Empyrean Core for example hit you for a lot more than any of the bosses in the dungeon (on normal and expert).

  5. #5
    Prophet of Telara Mantiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,052

    Default

    What Grinnz said.

    You can certainly tank everything and yes the healers do in fact have to go into overdrive with heals, even on trash. Which is similar in many respects to the initial expert dungeons as well.

    A lot of folks overlook cc these days too. On those really nasty pulls of 3-4 hard hitting melee MoBs don't be afraid to ask if a Rogue can cc one, have a mage sheep one, etc.

    Also pay attention to some of those trash buffs, if you go Justicar/Inq you can purge some of them off giving you some good relief. Interrupts don't hurt either and between yourself and "good" dps it can mitigate a lot of dmg.

    I always cheer up when we have either a Rogue or Cleric tank!
    The mind of a perfect man is like a mirror. It grasps nothing. It expects nothing. It reflects but does not hold. Therefore, the perfect man can act without effort.
    New battle theme for the awesome racial changes: Big bouncing Bhami, bravely bounding by bizarre beasts, before battle begins.


  6. #6
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mantiss View Post
    A lot of folks overlook cc these days too. On those really nasty pulls of 3-4 hard hitting melee MoBs don't be afraid to ask if a Rogue can cc one, have a mage sheep one, etc.
    This would work if most of the trash, at least in Empyrean Core which is mainly where the tough trash packs are, wasn't immune to CC.

  7. #7
    Prophet of Telara Mantiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Golladan View Post
    This would work if most of the trash, at least in Empyrean Core which is mainly where the tough trash packs are, wasn't immune to CC.

    Immune to long term cc, things like stun, fear and short term cc are still viable and do work on them. Might not sound like a lot to some but with most Expert dps folks I come across being in the 6k+ range those 4-6 seconds of short term cc make a world of difference.
    The mind of a perfect man is like a mirror. It grasps nothing. It expects nothing. It reflects but does not hold. Therefore, the perfect man can act without effort.
    New battle theme for the awesome racial changes: Big bouncing Bhami, bravely bounding by bizarre beasts, before battle begins.


  8. #8
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Sounds about right. Doing a few expert runs with some guildies over the past week, our Cleric healer mentioned that it's actually easier to heal me when tanking (Cleric) than our guild MT (warrior).

    Clerics didn't have as many CDs as other tanks, though with recent changes things got a bit better for us.
    Depending on the healer, your group may or may not require support. Did Empyrean Core Expert last night with a mage healing who didn't require any help, and my stats are a bit below what you posted.

  9. #9
    Rift Chaser TriX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Danmark
    Posts
    314

    Default

    Agree, and yes that’s how experts are, when you(and the healer) gear vice are on par with the dungeon.

    As a healer I quite often see our warrior tank get 15-20k hits and he has 60-65k armor.
    So healers really need to work for it, and they sure need to know their cool downs.

    As said above, one of the nasty dungeons are trash in Empyrean Core. Those 3-4 melee mobs at the beginning, smack pretty hard. As a healer I usually us 1-2 CD’s for each pack and there are a total of 4 packs to clear.

    The good thing though is that I have(as 61sent/15puri) have sooo many CD’s and the possibility to reset them, so it’s not a problem

    Other than that, you might also try to coordinate your CD’s with the healser CD’s so you don’t blow them all at the same time
    Last edited by TriX; 12-13-2012 at 11:49 PM.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ........... Whatever ..............

  10. #10
    Shadowlander Toti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Alright, one thing I'm going to come out and many people may agree but some may tell me I am wrong...

    Do NOT buy Tank gear from the World Gear Merchant... Keep your Infinity stones(IS). The gear's stats are under par to drops and have ******ed mitigation stats (ie dodge) The only piece(s) I would say get would be the shoulders or gloves and/or shield(for set bonus if you can find the mace out of the experts)... but the time you spend getting those infinity stones you will be able to get drops from raids be for you upgrade any 2 pieces to the 2nd tier, or even 3rd tier...

    The reason I say this is because I don't have the 16 hours a day to get on and grind out 3-10 events a day to get the IS to get the upgrade pieces that cost from 169-395 IS just to upgrade the gear. at 11 Is and invasion... to almost 25 from Volan or Defense you are talking 19-40 invasions, to get one piece that you could end up replacing in one night.

    Things that helped me,

    - Do those Great hunt rifts, get those tanking essences, I have 45k hp and I don't even have all 60 essences in my sigil.
    - Do your daily Expert, tank it dps it heal it something, just get it done the 4-5 marks you get are a necessity.
    - Do the new Chronicle, you can get 6-7 Infinity stones or 1-2 Expert marks.
    - Get a good healer, cleric or chloro (I vote chloro meshes really well with our cool downs and don't need as much support as clerics may depending on skill level)


    A lot of the expert damage is now put on the healers to deal with, it looks like the devs are making it clear that they want the meta to be 1 Tank 1 Heals 1 Support 2 DPS... I've seen healers that can solo heal experts and have done so a few times my self, but it really comes down to how good everyone is at following mechanics. The better the dps is the shorter/easier the fight will be. Top dps to get into raids is looking like 7-10k anything below that is a bit under par.

    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.” Blaise Pascal

  11. #11
    RIFT Guide Writer TheGrinnz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    10,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toti View Post
    Alright, one thing I'm going to come out and many people may agree but some may tell me I am wrong...

    Do NOT buy Tank gear from the World Gear Merchant... Keep your Infinity stones(IS). The gear's stats are under par to drops and have ******ed mitigation stats (ie dodge) The only piece(s) I would say get would be the shoulders or gloves and/or shield(for set bonus if you can find the mace out of the experts)... but the time you spend getting those infinity stones you will be able to get drops from raids be for you upgrade any 2 pieces to the 2nd tier, or even 3rd tier...

    The reason I say this is because I don't have the 16 hours a day to get on and grind out 3-10 events a day to get the IS to get the upgrade pieces that cost from 169-395 IS just to upgrade the gear. at 11 Is and invasion... to almost 25 from Volan or Defense you are talking 19-40 invasions, to get one piece that you could end up replacing in one night.

    Things that helped me,

    - Do those Great hunt rifts, get those tanking essences, I have 45k hp and I don't even have all 60 essences in my sigil.
    - Do your daily Expert, tank it dps it heal it something, just get it done the 4-5 marks you get are a necessity.
    - Do the new Chronicle, you can get 6-7 Infinity stones or 1-2 Expert marks.
    - Get a good healer, cleric or chloro (I vote chloro meshes really well with our cool downs and don't need as much support as clerics may depending on skill level)


    A lot of the expert damage is now put on the healers to deal with, it looks like the devs are making it clear that they want the meta to be 1 Tank 1 Heals 1 Support 2 DPS... I've seen healers that can solo heal experts and have done so a few times my self, but it really comes down to how good everyone is at following mechanics. The better the dps is the shorter/easier the fight will be. Top dps to get into raids is looking like 7-10k anything below that is a bit under par.
    You'll get tank gear faster from the world vendor, whether you can get better gear later is irrelevant to gearing up as a tank asap. You then have the option of either upgrading the world gear or just getting better gear elsewhere.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 12-14-2012 at 08:45 AM.

  12. #12
    Prophet of Telara kliknik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Soldotna, AK
    Posts
    962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toti View Post
    The reason I say this is because I don't have the 16 hours a day to get on and grind out 3-10 events a day to get the IS to get the upgrade pieces that cost from 169-395 IS just to upgrade the gear. at 11 Is and invasion... to almost 25 from Volan or Defense you are talking 19-40 invasions, to get one piece that you could end up replacing in one night.
    There are also 2 sets of dailies you can pick up plus the onslaught dailies, I do believe events in morban and kingsward also give IS and you can get up to 30 volans. It really isn't that time consuming to pop on a few hours a night do your daily quests (that's 20 IS right there) do a couple onslaughts then catch an event or 2 then go to bed (now your up to 30-40 IS a night and barely put in 3 hours of work). ALso you can get the IS off of mobile now to

    Trying to get the gear doing experts is also a bit of a crap shoot if you do thats great, but I wouldn't hold my breathe. I have ran a few in a row and only seen leather and plate drop. Some occasions you may find yourself in an expert with 1 or 2 other clerics and the gear will drop but you may loose your roll. I actually prefere the IS farm method over dungeon drops because I target exactly the piece I am after.

    All my tank gear is 2 dungeon drops, a few crafted and the rest IS, my healing gear is all crafted and dungeon mark gear.
    "Overall we want the various callings to be competitive with each other in their comparative roles. There isn’t a mandate that Rogues do more damage than Warriors or that Mages be the best ranged damage in the game. Ideally we would like to see players with equivalent skill, gear, planar attunement, buffs etc be equally effective at damage, tanking or healing." - Kervik

  13. #13
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toti View Post
    The only piece(s) I would say get would be the shoulders or gloves and/or shield(for set bonus if you can find the mace out of the experts)
    If you buy the shield for the set bonus you'll be extremely disappointed.

    The proc chance on the shield is horrible. With 6 mobs constantly damaging me it would proc every 20 to 30 seconds.

    The amount it absorbs is also horrible. Only 653 damage is nothing.

    The set bonus is crap. It only increases it by 10% to an amazingly overpowered total of 718.

    Not to mention the absorb is actually broken and, even if it does proc, nothing ever gets absorbed.

  14. #14
    Telaran
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Thanks everyone for the replies.
    Feel a bit better knowing i am not completey bad at playing.

    I finally upgraded one of the toughness items to 100, and now have 355 toughness, 365 hit, still 40.5 HP and 53k armour.

    I do the chronicle everyday along with the Ashora & Steppes dailies, and onslaughts if time permits.
    And any IS dropping invasion if/when it pops.

    Averaging at 50 Is per night... (play for about 5-6 hours)


    Some have suggested i do experts as DPS for example, but queues are hours long...

    But i think the biggest problem is as mentioned, Support seem to still be focusing on DPS as per the face rolling of Classic Rift Experts, and everyone else (me included) are not being wise with the use of CD's.

    So hopefully i can get more Guildies into Experts (allot are still leveling to 60)


    Cheers all for the responses.
    Thanks

  15. #15
    Shadowlander Toti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Golladan View Post
    If you buy the shield for the set bonus you'll be extremely disappointed.

    The proc chance on the shield is horrible. With 6 mobs constantly damaging me it would proc every 20 to 30 seconds.

    The amount it absorbs is also horrible. Only 653 damage is nothing.

    The set bonus is crap. It only increases it by 10% to an amazingly overpowered total of 718.

    Not to mention the absorb is actually broken and, even if it does proc, nothing ever gets absorbed.

    Erm not true, I use the Ancient Bottle of Whiskey trinket that absorbs 2.7k damage. and it procs constantly (10-15sec) and works.

    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.” Blaise Pascal

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts