+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Want to start tanking , need gear

Default Want to start tanking , need gear

Due to the lack of tanks i decided to turn my healer into a tank. The problem is ofc the gear . I've bought some parts of the gear from the AH , but i dont have a 1hand, shield nor 300 toughness. So the question is , do i have to grind hundreds of marks to get some gear? or are there notoriety vendors that sell stuff that can ready you up for experts? Or any good quests? anything
    Cannot find it anywhere , so im resorting to the forums.
    Thanks!

I’m in the same situation, we also have limited tanks and healers. I think the reason is that healing and tanking is rather stressful and challenging at the moment as gear and expert dungeons is on par(or maybe below). So many players who use to play healers/tanks prefer to play DPS/support until they can group with better geared guildies.

Anyway, I’v got around 4-5 tanking items(armor, jewels) from XD, as I was the only cleric in the group. Other than that you can buy belt/helmet etc. from AH(as you wrote).

You can also buy quite good gear for Infinity stones. Some of that can be upgraded if you have the stones for it. The toughness on planar gear is +75(tier 1)/+75(tier 2 but better stats/armour)/+100 (tier 3 – best stats)

There are 4 armor pieces that give +75 toughness and I believe they cost around 75-90 IS each. So as a minimum you should be able to get 300 toughness(4x75) by using around 300-400 IS.
    300-400 IS is quite fast to get, just keep an eye out for zone events and farm them. I can get around 100-150 a day(around 3 hours play time)
    So 3-4 dedicated IS farming days and you should have enough for tier-1 planar tanking armor.

EDIT: Yes notority vendors sell some armor, but I haven't checket how good that is compared to crafted/planar items.
    Last edited by TriX; 12-11-2012 at 03:44 AM.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ........... Whatever ..............

Rift Chaser

Boots with 75 toughness can be crafted iirc, blue item, recipe drops in Empyrean Core I think. Maybe there's some other stuff as well out there.

I've bought crafted boots +75toughness and crafted legs +100 toughness (both blue) . I'll try the infinity stones farm to see hwo that turns out. Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by Lasperic View Post
    I've bought crafted boots +75toughness and crafted legs +100 toughness (both blue) . I'll try the infinity stones farm to see hwo that turns out. Thanks !
    The legs are not crafted, they're a drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Techie Will View Post
    The legs are not crafted, they're a drop.
    Ahh did not know that . They were on the AH for 10p so i figured it's something easily obtainable my bad

IIRC I got a tank chest from doing EC the first time as completion loot (not normal chest reward loot), and a tank ranged from TotS for the same. TotS also drops a tank helm from first boss, and I wanna say it was the lightning boss that dropped a tanking cloak. Shield dropped in EC, second last event I think.

There's tank rings (not unique) you can get with honoured necropolis favor to up your hit.

Other than that, infinity stones and the AH are your friend, and even runes to top you up.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyannah View Post
    IIRC I got a tank chest from doing EC the first time as completion loot (not normal chest reward loot), and a tank ranged from TotS for the same. TotS also drops a tank helm from first boss, and I wanna say it was the lightning boss that dropped a tanking cloak. Shield dropped in EC, second last event I think.

There's tank rings (not unique) you can get with honoured necropolis favor to up your hit.

Other than that, infinity stones and the AH are your friend, and even runes to top you up.

Hope that helps.
    Was the EC completion for normal or expert? I think i've gotten something else from expert , can't remember what though ;)
    And yes .. that did help , gonna have a look in the EC today

lynchi/torvan rep = cape, essences
    crafted = boots, belt, helm, rings
    infinity stones/expert marks = shoulders, pants, chest

anything that you don't have tank gear for, just use DPS gear it doesn't hurt you TOO bad since gear levels are so low (and similar) still

you might have to run some lvl 59-60 dungeons but that should be a last resort. I was tanking experts the day I hit 60, so if you've got about 500 plat and 150 or so infinity stones you should be golden.

Telaran

Happen to have the name of the legs on hand? I've had abysmal luck with 100 toughness tanking drops in experts and have had to skip out on a 10 man run as I wasn't at 400 toughness. Just missing chest and legs and was sitting on marks till I'd have enough on Friday to buy both in one go.

Otherwise if you're just getting geared up for tanking experts, the only places you have to have 'tank' gear are in the toughness slots. The additional armor from higher tier dps/heals armor slots will help more than the additional avoidance and hp gain. I don't have empirical proof but I'd wager that armor is king with the changes to 1.11 tanking.

Grab the 75 toughness chest from EC normal completion, get the crafted boots if their available on your server (think this was qalari rep?) then either farm IS for shoulder and legs or chain run normal ToS or EC.

Slap some of the cheap 21 endurance runes on em and pick up two of the cleric tanking purple rings which are practically free now that chrysophase drops about 5x as much and that should kick you up to about 39 or 40 k hp which is good for starting experts.

Quote Originally Posted by Fufa View Post
    Happen to have the name of the legs on hand? I've had abysmal luck with 100 toughness tanking drops in experts and have had to skip out on a 10 man run as I wasn't at 400 toughness. Just missing chest and legs and was sitting on marks till I'd have enough on Friday to buy both in one go.
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/item/EBB7C...onal-Legguards

These are the only ones I know of other than from Infinity stones, but it's Bind on Pickup

Was the EC completion for normal or expert? I think i've gotten something else from expert , can't remember what though ;)
    And yes .. that did help , gonna have a look in the EC today
    Normal

/10char

Soulwalker

Default Cleric Tanking gear itemisation?

Just a question on the the "Infinity Stone" Cleric tanking gear. I'm gearing up to tank as well and notice that the gear bought with IS has dodge on it instead of block, when the conqueror expert gear has block. Is this an itemisation issue? I can't remember which pieces it was though.

Quote Originally Posted by Damo68 View Post
    Just a question on the the "Infinity Stone" Cleric tanking gear. I'm gearing up to tank as well and notice that the gear bought with IS has dodge on it instead of block, when the conqueror expert gear has block. Is this an itemisation issue? I can't remember which pieces it was though.
    dodge and block are both valuable stats

Plane Touched

but dodge doesn't seem to go up...parry is also a touch sluggish.. not really rating it.

Armor > endurance > Higher Resist > wisdom > block > ..... strength > Dex/parry/dodge/intel

Wisdom is getting 10% bonus from justacar and another 10% from any Support bard/archon/bm/(CLERICS ARE NOT SUPPORT)

so 10 wisdom is 12 block 12 parry, this makes alot of Dps/healing gear.... okish for a newly gearing up tank, since armor remains the same, all you miss is HP.

I would also argue that Warrior tanking rings/cape/kneck with strength/dex and better resists work as a stopgap.
    10 strength is still 10 parry 10 block, 10 dex is still 10 dodge and higher resists mean alot.

there is very little block/parry/dodge loss using Warrior tank items but you will Ofc loose dps
    Quote Originally Posted by Lalothen View Post

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast