+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Defiler Links

Rift Chaser

Default Defiler Links

So lately I've been using Defiler to heal for dungeons and raids. I've noticed a couple problems with links so far that I wanted to point out.

The first has already been mentioned in a thread before, where higher % links cannot override lower % ones, so therefore you need to ask your tank to remove the DPS's link in order to add a 20/25% healer link.

The second, and my bigger priority, is when there are 2 or more healers. Especially with fights where there's only one tank taking damage regularly. Because healer/support defilers get 20% +healing/+damage from your links, it's a big loss for no one to be taking damage. I figured that I could link to the tank, and then the other defiler(s) could link to me, causing a chain of links; however, this does not work apparently.

Linking to off-tanks/DPS that are not taking constant damage during fights causes this buff to drop constantly, thus causing huge healing/DPS loss. (I know that DPS classes would whine if their Silver-tipped munitions would randomly change to -9% instead of +9% at random)

I'd simply like to propose that you can toss multiple links on one target, but only the highest % link actually reduces damage. This alleviates all the issues having to do with links. If this is not possible, at least split the link to allow the defiler that cast a link to be linked to by another (probably DPS) defiler.

Rift Chaser

Forgot to add that support Defilers need to keep higher % links on tanks as well so that their Rampant Growth keeps higher stacks of FG on the tanks.

Rift Disciple

You can right-click your Links top right to remove them from targets.

Otherwise I agree, multiple Defilers do not work
    Last edited by bored; 12-07-2012 at 08:37 PM.

Rift Chaser

Or maybe make it so that Blights stack whenever anyone in the party/raid gets hit?

As it is right now, you can only have 1 defiler per tank =(

Quote Originally Posted by Falsedemise View Post
    I'd simply like to propose that you can toss multiple links on one target, but only the highest % link actually reduces damage. This alleviates all the issues having to do with links. If this is not possible, at least split the link to allow the defiler that cast a link to be linked to by another (probably DPS) defiler.

I'd prefer to see the two links averaged down but both people linking him. Its a hard calculation I can't think through at the moment, talking in a 5 man group only, which is all I am worried about.

It's a Quality of Life issue that links could overwrite freely, saves a few seconds finding and cancelling the right buff then re-applying but that means that raid frame links must be shown, and must be shown for all defilers.

If an average can't be found so two defilers linking the same tank with 25% each the the raid frame issue is messed up more as you will need to know who has the link. One solution might be to put the buffers name under the target's buffs, but that messes up show just my own.

If we cant work out this issue by discussing it through with our dev then 2 defilers just won't work in a 5 man, not that they work now.
    Last edited by Shibi; 12-10-2012 at 02:07 AM.
    Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.
    འགྲོ་རྣམས་བྱང་ཆུབ་ཐོབ་ཕྱིར་དུ། །

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Shibi View Post
    I'd prefer to see the two links averaged down but both people linking him. Its a hard calculation I can't think through at the moment, talking in a 5 man group only, which is all I am worried about.

It's a Quality of Life issue that links could overwrite freely, saves a few seconds finding and cancelling the right buff then re-applying but that means that raid frame links must be shown, and must be shown for all defilers.

If an average can't be found so two defilers linking the same tank with 25% each the the raid frame issue is messed up more as you will need to know who has the link. One solution might be to put the buffers name under the target's buffs, but that messes up show just my own.

If we cant work out this issue by discussing it through with our dev then 2 defilers just won't work in a 5 man, not that they work now.

This is true, however, I'm not so worried about 5man because the chances of having 2 Defilers are pretty slim (like having 2 Chloro's). On the other hand, Defiler (if used correctly) can be a very powerful healer. From what I can see, this would be akin to saying "Only one Chloromancer in your raid does regular damage/healing. Anything other Chloro's get a 20% reduction". Granted on fights where there are 2 tanks continually tanking something, you can keep the buff up on a 2nd Defiler, but that's far from every fight from what I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Falsedemise View Post
    On the other hand, Defiler (if used correctly) can be a very powerful healer.
    I'm not convinced many people can use the defiler properly though, correct or incorrect I certainly can't do a 5 man as easily as tanking a raft of over level elites with my beacon, and that's the point that should be aimed for, that your beacon and your tank are just as easy to keep up and just as fun to heal.

I really hope the defiler will be a powerful tank healer, but also viable in 5 mans. It has the makings of an amazing class, it's so fun to play, in a 5 man, there just isn't time to do the rotation you have to keep up to tank a raft of mobs solo, you have 5 beacons of varying competence meaning you can easily skip a crucial GCD and lose it.

It's just not there. I keep thinking in my head... why can I do it with my beacon and not a tank. Theonly things that keeps coming back at me is that the mobs damage isn't reflecting from the tank like it does from the beacon.

I wish I could convince a tank to pull a 50 or so invasion mobs at once and be willing to have a huge repair bill so I could try and work out what the difference is between them and the beacon.
    Last edited by Shibi; 12-10-2012 at 06:27 AM.
    Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.
    འགྲོ་རྣམས་བྱང་ཆུབ་ཐོབ་ཕྱིར་དུ། །

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Shibi View Post
    I'm not convinced many people can use the defiler properly though, correct or incorrect I certainly can't do a 5 man as easily as tanking a raft of over level elites with my beacon, and that's the point that should be aimed for, that your beacon and your tank are just as easy to keep up and just as fun to heal.

I really hope the defiler will be a powerful tank healer, but also viable in 5 mans. It has the makings of an amazing class, it's so fun to play, in a 5 man, there just isn't time to do the rotation you have to keep up to tank a raft of mobs solo, you have 5 beacons of varying competence meaning you can easily skip a crucial GCD and lose it.

It's just not there. I keep thinking in my head... why can I do it with my beacon and not a tank. Theonly things that keeps coming back at me is that the mobs damage isn't reflecting from the tank like it does from the beacon.

I wish I could convince a tank to pull a 50 or so invasion mobs at once and be willing to have a huge repair bill so I could try and work out what the difference is between them and the beacon.
    Just because you can't do 5mans doesn't mean that it's bad. I've successfully healed (without a support) every fight in experts minus Vathundr using a 40Defiler spec. I find that it fairs much better than any other healing spec, since I can do an approx 25k heal every 2seconds.

The problem is that everyone thinks that you need to play it 61pts, and you can heal by dealing damage. Dealing damage is for supports and Chloro's.
    Last edited by Falsedemise; 12-10-2012 at 06:35 AM.

Soulwalker

What other soul do you pair with your defiler? I am running a 40 def / 21 sent / puri. This works very well but I find it lacking a little in aoe healing.

Shadowlander

I've never been able to test it, but can't you place a link on the defiler who is linked to the tank to get your blight stacks? Or does their shield prevent the damage from being transferred?

Quote Originally Posted by Shivale View Post
    What other soul do you pair with your defiler? I am running a 40 def / 21 sent / puri. This works very well but I find it lacking a little in aoe healing.
    I've had good luck with a 40 defiler/36 warden build.

The sad part is that using Explosive Growth on your Shared Excess target makes a better 5 man aoe heal than anything else in the warden's repertoire. It's probably because the heal gets double-amplified through the buff-healing bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Vertal View Post
    I've never been able to test it, but can't you place a link on the defiler who is linked to the tank to get your blight stacks? Or does their shield prevent the damage from being transferred?
    You cannot link a linker

+ Reply to Thread