+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dad being called back to Telara by daughter. Need build advice.

Default Dad being called back to Telara by daughter. Need build advice.

My daughter would like me to rejoin her to defend the Plane of Telara. We played in the beta together, and kept a subscription for a while. Now she's inspired to take up her blunderbuss again and she wants me to come along.

She has a lvl 40+ rogue and she likes to dps.

I have a lvl 37 cleric.

I used to play a duracell cleric and I really enjoyed doing massive AOE damage while keeping myself healed up, but I see from that thread that it isn't used much anymore.

Will you experts please give me some ideas for a build that would harmonize with her rogue.

I guess I need a build for quests, one for PVP warfronts and something that will get me into dungeon groups.

Rift Disciple

I would suggest going for a build roughly along these lines:

Druid - aim for the greater satyr protector (it's a great tank pet and does some aoe dps, too. Just turn his single target attack off or he won't hold aggro). basically as many points as you have left over after you get the stuff below. If you cannot get the greater satyr yet, try a healer pet in the meantime and tank yourself.
    Note: ignore the Fervent Strike talents! Use Strike of Judgment (justicar) instead, since it heals more.
    Justicar - 16 points. Even Justice is excellent dps if you are otherwise stacking dps souls. Take 2 points in Reparation (your pet and your daughter's character). Righteous Mandate on the satyr.
    Shaman - 0 points, for Vengeance of the Winter Storm, which is a nice dps boost. You shouldn't need any active heals, but if you are nervous, you could try Sentinel (0 pts) instead for Healing Breath.
    History is not written by those who are right,
    But by those who are left.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Klister View Post
    My daughter would like me to rejoin her to defend the Plane of Telara. We played in the beta together, and kept a subscription for a while. Now she's inspired to take up her blunderbuss again and she wants me to come along.

She has a lvl 40+ rogue and she likes to dps.

I have a lvl 37 cleric.

I used to play a duracell cleric and I really enjoyed doing massive AOE damage while keeping myself healed up, but I see from that thread that it isn't used much anymore.

Will you experts please give me some ideas for a build that would harmonize with her rogue.

I guess I need a build for quests, one for PVP warfronts and something that will get me into dungeon groups.
    If you like to heal, you can have a build that works for both PVP and for getting into dungeons. Full sentinel with the rest in puri or warden (I prefer warden for the extra AoE, namely fire-and-forget Healing Flood) is amazing for both. You may not be able to keep everyone up in PvP all the time (though so far, unless the opposition is concentrated, I've been able to, though I know that will change once I hit 50, I can just feel it,) but you can certainly keep up a few keys players! Yay pocket heals... Also, if your daughter takes a liking to Tactician, you can do a sort of duo, her doing AoE heals to keep people topped off, and spreading fire to the enemy when that's not needed, and you doing the heavy-duty emergency type healing. And if you have friends that you can co-ordinate with, a sentinel warden combo can work very well together, if your daughter is not into Tact. (or Bard.)

For other PvP options, I've seen that both Cabalist and Inquisitor builds work, just put 11 into warden for tidal surge, and every 45 seconds you can super charge a hard hitting spell. (Inq's Nysr's Rebuke WILL kill 98% of the people you come across at full health.) Cabalist may be a little lack luster though, I seem to remember some nerf-esque thing happening, but I don't pay that much attention. I've also heard that PvP tanking can be fun, but it's not as useful as it is in some other games, from what I've seen. (This could be because I'm around awful tanks though, I'm not really sure.)

In addition, if you like, or are even ok with tanking, (I'm neither, it's super easy on a Cleric, but I still just don't like it at all) take one of the Justicar specs around here (i dont even know what they are anymore), and you'll pop into dungeons with lightning speed.

@Makarion If I go straight for the Greater Satyr Protector, I have 28 points left over. What should I spend them on in Druid or Justi trees?

Greater Satyr says it only levels to 27. Does this mean it's going to be easily killed/useless in lvl 37 areas?

I looked in the guides and only saw one guide that referenced a build for characters below 50 and that was for a modified duracell build for the 1.11 version of Rift.

Are the pre-cooked character builds any good?

Also, it's sad how this game has died. What if you made a beautiful game and no one played it?

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

it's sad how this game has died. What if you made a beautiful game and no one played it?
    Which Shard do you or intend to play on? i can reassure you that, at least here in Europe, some servers are bursting with activity, particularly my home shard, Icewatch

It might be you're on a low pop shard or the more than likely reason, everybody has leveled past to get to Storm Legion zones

I just edited my post, and tried to save it and the board said that you can only do that for 5 minutes and then I clicked okay and lost the text I had entered. This is a horrible user interface design.

So, Makarion, does this mean I am tanking and using a shield?

@Jeorge By full Sentinel, do you mean spend 37 points in Sent, and the rest in Puri? Which Sent skills?
    Same with Cabalist and Inq builds. What other two souls with each, what skills, how many points?

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    Which Shard do you or intend to play on? i can reassure you that, at least here in Europe, some servers are bursting with activity, particularly my home shard, Icewatch

It might be you're on a low pop shard or the more than likely reason, everybody has leveled past to get to Storm Legion zones
    Seastone, formerly Briarcliff (but it was a ghost town the last time we played, months ago) Now Seastone is a ghost town.

Well, In the US, the list of shards has decreased quite a bit. There are only two PvP shards now, and both have low population. None of the shards have High population. When we first started playing, there was so much activity!

Shadowlander

@Jeorge By full Sentinel, do you mean spend 37 points in Sent, and the rest in Puri? Which Sent skills?
    Same with Cabalist and Inq builds. What other two souls with each, what skills, how many points?
    I have no idea about the DPS builds, I really dislike dps to be quite honest, look around in the guides section a bit, there's for sure an Inq guide in there, go with that. And I think I saw a cab guide as well.

And by full sentinel, I mean exactly that. 61 points in Sentinel. This means literally every talent. Then you can put 15 in warden for tidal surge and a slight AoE boost, or 15 in puri for flashover and better single target healing.

At your level I suppose it would be 37 though. For a dual purpose build, I would go with the warden variant myself. So far I've noticed that that little bit of AoE can make a difference.

Something like this maybe?

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#pAaIyFhBl2/qh5c/m

It's very rough, and you can move stuff around. I've been thinking about getting geyser myself, just because sometimes there's just a tiny bit of healing, and I'd like to be able to do damage and heal at the same time. If you find you're running out of mana, you can put 2 points into attentive as well. And the reduced GCD on the cleanse is because I've run into this Dom that keeps putting Priest's lament on me, under a bunch of other debuffs, so I need to get it off as fast as possible, you may not like it.

Next 5 points go into maxing swift plea and fullness of life. Then finish out noble supplications.

Just one small tip: Use Healing Breath as an AoE when you can! With 3/3 enraptured breath, it's a pretty heafty heal for 3 people. I found things got a lot easier when I realized this and started ya know, actually using an awesome talent that I'd had.

Greybriar has tons of people on it always like 100 people in tempest bay. There is no one though in old main cities very often though and even fewer in the old zones so you cant go off the populations of what you seen in the old content.

For questing, I'd actually go with this at 37. Use the Satyr Destroyer, not the Protector.

You need the 16 points in Justicar in Order to get Even Justice to use as your AE skill, and you'll want to use Strike of Judgement for single targets. A typical pull will start with you hitting Bolt of Radiance, then Thorns of Ire. Use the Fae Step to teleport to the mob and pop an Eruption of Life into its back, then open up with your Macro. This is your macro:

#show Strike of Judgment
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Shield of Oak
    cast Combined Effort
    cast Bolt of Radiance
    cast Strike of Judgment

For AE fights, just drop out the Combined Effort and BoR and put Even Justice in place of Strike of Judgment.

You'll be doing decent-ish damage on your own, then the procs from Thorns of Ire and Eruption of Life and the dps pet are just gravy added on top of that. Progression from here is to put points into Druid until 36 so you get the Greater Faerie Seer and the Aid of the Forest buff. The Faerie Seer puts out a lot of dps and you can toggle her from ST to AE as needed, plus with the Aid of the Forest she heals you with the damage she does on top of your Salvation heals.

Between all of this, you should be able to keep yourself, your pet, and your daughter's rogue healed up all the time.

From there, you want to get up to 21 points in Justicar (for the Mien of Honor to increase your salvation heals), then start putting points back into druid in order to get the yummy Spirit of Upheaval buff. You'll be level 50 at this point.

I don't pvp or pay any attention to it, so I can't give any advice there.

For dungeons you'll actually want a heal build and/or a ranged dps build. Some would say 2 RDPS builds -- 1 for ST and one for AE. TBH, I've been so focused on my solo work in the new zones that I've not really paid too much attention. Inquisitor is still king of single target and Cabalist is king of AE, I'm told, but I can't help you much with what the going builds are for those anymore.

I've got toons on a couple of different servers, and some are ghost towns while others are hopping. Since you can transfer all your characters once a week for free, don't feel like you're trapped on a low population server. Just hit up riftstatus.net and you can see where the people are and go join them, if you like.
    Last edited by pkudude; 12-06-2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Fixed ubb code

Rift Disciple

@Makarion If I go straight for the Greater Satyr Protector, I have 28 points left over. What should I spend them on in Druid or Justi trees?

Greater Satyr says it only levels to 27. Does this mean it's going to be easily killed/useless in lvl 37 areas?

I looked in the guides and only saw one guide that referenced a build for characters below 50 and that was for a modified duracell build for the 1.11 version of Rift.

Are the pre-cooked character builds any good?

Also, it's sad how this game has died. What if you made a beautiful game and no one played it?
    I would personally put everything you can in druid until you hit the 58-point ability eventually. Take Justicar to 16. That should not leave you any points for a 3rd soul, but o-pt Shaman gives a nice dps buff, anyway .

Also, the satyr will level up further, no worries. Mine, at level 59, is tanking whole invasions

Rift Disciple

I just edited my post, and tried to save it and the board said that you can only do that for 5 minutes and then I clicked okay and lost the text I had entered. This is a horrible user interface design.

So, Makarion, does this mean I am tanking and using a shield?

Actually, it will be your pet (the satyr) that does the tanking. Pick up either a onehander and totem, or a twohander, whichever combo gives the best wisdom and spellpower.

Quote Originally Posted by pkudude View Post
    Some would say 2 RDPS builds -- 1 for ST and one for AE
    What's an RDPS build?

+ Reply to Thread