+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1hand vs 2hand

Default 1hand vs 2hand

I was wondering... Is there any reason to pic a 2h hammer/staff now? i have the impression that 1 hand + totem is always the better option.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Siiris View Post
    I was wondering... Is there any reason to pic a 2h hammer/staff now? i have the impression that 1 hand + totem is always the better option.
    If you PA are all maxed out the only reason would be procs off the items.
    I kill more players than anyone! Just ask the last raid that asked me to heal!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    I wanted to come out and say the following pretty definitively: There is no goal to make DPS clerics that DPS do less damage than other callings.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Siiris View Post
    No there's no reason. 1h+totem give better stats. It has always been like that, but since trion decided to water down yet another aspect of the game by making weapon dps irrelevant for our class there is absolutely no reason to use a 2her. (unless we're talking endgame pve where a 2her proc might prove to be too op to ignore, but until such a thing proves to be true the answer is no)

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Alex113 View Post
    No there's no reason. 1h+totem give better stats. It has always been like that, but since trion decided to water down yet another aspect of the game by making weapon dps irrelevant for our class there is absolutely no reason to use a 2her. (unless we're talking endgame pve where a 2her proc might prove to be too op to ignore, but until such a thing proves to be true the answer is no)
    Correct me if I am wrong but the more weapon damage you inflict per hit the more you heal in return which would make a 2h the better option at least from a survivability standpoint.

MNM
    Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Cobaltius View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but the more weapon damage you inflict per hit the more you heal in return which would make a 2h the better option at least from a survivability standpoint.
    Which heal would that be?

I think they untied the weapon damage component from cleric melee attacks. I went against the dummy once with a 2 handed mace, and then again with a only slightly better dagger+totem combo. I seemed to be hitting slightly harder with the combo.

The only major difference that could be a deciding factor then might be how much of your damage you think is contributed by auto attacks. If you think it matters a lot, then a 2-handed hammer. If not, just roll with whatever has the better stats.

On the other hand, I can't seem to find the patch notes which mention this change, so maybe the +1 level the dagger had over the damage of the SL level 50 2-hander was enough to produce those results.
    Experience debt is merely a gauge to show how much Awesome I'm generating.

Telaran

Unfortunately, we do have to correct you, as this is now wrong. The fact that they changed a number of things that you are talking about is the reason for this thread.

A weapons actual DPS rating no longer has any effect on cleric melee attacks. All of the damage for cleric melee attacks is based off of spellpower, so whichever weapons will give you higher spellpower, either through raw spellpower or through the converted spellpower from wis/int, will be the better weapon. In almost all cases, this will be a 1hander+totem, over a 2hander.

And also, all healing 'proc' abilities(such as salvation and glory of the chosen) for clerics are now scaled off of your spell power, and have their own standalone value, which is not in any way linked to the amount of damage done. So hitting harder will not make your salvation heal for more(except for the indirect consideration that the spellpower which is causing you to hit harder will also cause salvation to heal more). Salvation will heal for a set amount on every hit, it will not heal for higher on a higher damage ability as opposed to a lower damage ability, as long as spell power is the same. The only way that damage affects the amount healed is the consideration about whether the damage is a justicar single target vs non-justicar single target ability, or justicar AoE vs non-justicar AoE.

Soulwalker

I've been away from the game for about a year. Of course I have a 2h mace equipped. Given the above information where would be the best place to look for a decent 1h and totem to start with?

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Alyssandra View Post
    I've been away from the game for about a year. Of course I have a 2h mace equipped. Given the above information where would be the best place to look for a decent 1h and totem to start with?
    lvling up though SL as they hand them out as candy in the quest lines. Or you stand a good chance of getting them from PVP dailies chests.

Lastly... dungeons/experts/10mans all the normal places.
    I kill more players than anyone! Just ask the last raid that asked me to heal!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    I wanted to come out and say the following pretty definitively: There is no goal to make DPS clerics that DPS do less damage than other callings.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ottopaul View Post
    Unfortunately, we do have to correct you, as this is now wrong. The fact that they changed a number of things that you are talking about is the reason for this thread.

A weapons actual DPS rating no longer has any effect on cleric melee attacks. All of the damage for cleric melee attacks is based off of spellpower, so whichever weapons will give you higher spellpower, either through raw spellpower or through the converted spellpower from wis/int, will be the better weapon. In almost all cases, this will be a 1hander+totem, over a 2hander.

And also, all healing 'proc' abilities(such as salvation and glory of the chosen) for clerics are now scaled off of your spell power, and have their own standalone value, which is not in any way linked to the amount of damage done. So hitting harder will not make your salvation heal for more(except for the indirect consideration that the spellpower which is causing you to hit harder will also cause salvation to heal more). Salvation will heal for a set amount on every hit, it will not heal for higher on a higher damage ability as opposed to a lower damage ability, as long as spell power is the same. The only way that damage affects the amount healed is the consideration about whether the damage is a justicar single target vs non-justicar single target ability, or justicar AoE vs non-justicar AoE.
    Thanks for the clarification, I switched over to a one hand and totem and you are quite right, I have been using 2h exclusivity for the wrong reason.

I chose to use the crafted 2h with a wis aug over the IS MH/OH. 2h has ~30 more SP, which is worth more to me than the dumb proc.

Now, where there a crafted MH/OH readily available, I might go with that as it would probably be better overall stats.

I postet the same in pvp forum, we dont have a choice now since we dont scale with dps anymore... we are forced to use 1hand+totem now... i hope they will fix this, 2hand should have the exact same stats that 1hand+totem have.

This whole thing is kind of strange. I mean ... why would they do that?

So my theorie is, that it is just a leftover from 1.0 ...

Can anyone official confrim that? Zinbik? Are we supposed to use 1h weapons only? Then please remove 2h weapons from pvp vendors or make them cheaper because people will get confused and buy bad equipment ....

Shadowlander

I know this might be a little OT but

Is there any available information out as to how much of an increase (in terms of damage) having the infinity magus set would grant ( i know its meant to be for mages but she got the wand as a drop)

We were trying to figure out if it would be worth her while using this combo or not and whether or not its a significant damage boost.

+ Reply to Thread