+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Is Cleric Dps Really So Bad?

Default Is Cleric Dps Really So Bad?

Hey Peoples of Telara,

I recently started Rift, i have the intention of playing Cleric as rpds, having spent the past few years playing at a high level of raiding in wow, I understand the nature of progressions raiding, and so as I will be looking for progression raiding again, I am wondering how a Cleric dps would fit into a progression team. I have done some research and read a plethora of polarising posts upon this topic, and I am just looking for a straight answer,

If played correctly, with perfected min/maxing can Cleric dps be competitive enough for progression raiding?

Thanks in advance,
    Sylaea
    Last edited by Sylaea; 12-01-2012 at 03:55 PM.

I recommend you stay away from Cleric if you want to be on equal footing when it comes to DPS.
    See you all in Wildstar!

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Byona View Post
    I recommend you stay away from Cleric if you want to be on equal footing when it comes to DPS.
    Going on what we have seen so far I must agree.
    I kill more players than anyone! Just ask the last raid that asked me to heal!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    I wanted to come out and say the following pretty definitively: There is no goal to make DPS clerics that DPS do less damage than other callings.

dbe
    General of Telara

Cleric DPS was a little behind for most of the last 8 months, it's better now.

The stated goal is that all 4 classes have equal DPS in their DPS spec, and that melee DPS is slightly ahead of range DPS (for everyone). The less-than-stated goal is that some specs are more about AOE and some are more about ST.

Right now Inquisitor, Shaman, Druid, and Cabalist are all solid DPS specs. We'll see how things go as the weeks go by.

If you really want to min/max, make sure you have both an ST and an AOE spec, or something that can do both.

Quote Originally Posted by dbe View Post
    Cleric DPS was a little behind for most of the last 8 months, it's better now.

The stated goal is that all 4 classes have equal DPS in their DPS spec, and that melee DPS is slightly ahead of range DPS (for everyone). The less-than-stated goal is that some specs are more about AOE and some are more about ST.

Right now Inquisitor, Shaman, Druid, and Cabalist are all solid DPS specs. We'll see how things go as the weeks go by.

If you really want to min/max, make sure you have both an ST and an AOE spec, or something that can do both.
    Inquisitor shaman and druid are all behind the other three callings (Warriors from PTS are buffed).
    Last edited by Byona; 12-01-2012 at 05:56 PM.
    See you all in Wildstar!

Ours are doing just fine in raid. Sometimes in the top 5 since they don't really suffer from target switch etc. also, they are very burst focused so movement isn't too horrible since you load up the dps at various points. Will we be top all the time, probably not but we are well worth a raid spot.
    Trinity - Greybriar - Top Guild?
    Bohr - Cleric - (Check out my stream)
    4/4 ToDQ Conq* :: 4/4 FT Conq* :: 5/5 EE Conq* :: 4/4 dat HM
    GP/DH/GsB/RoS/RoTP/HK/PF/ID Conq
    Rift Raid Progression/Parse Site :: www.topofrift.com :: Use it!

Quote Originally Posted by cwharland View Post
    Ours are doing just fine in raid. Sometimes in the top 5 since they don't really suffer from target switch etc. also, they are very burst focused so movement isn't too horrible since you load up the dps at various points. Will we be top all the time, probably not but we are well worth a raid spot.
    Nah man, this is false, post parses so i can see how bad your Warriors, Rogues and Mages are doing please. There is no other way what you said could be true.
    Last edited by Byona; 12-01-2012 at 06:16 PM.
    See you all in Wildstar!

Nah man, this is false, post parses so i can see how bad your Warriors, Rogues and Mages are doing please. There is no other way what you said could be true.
    You forget Byona...

My spellpower is TO DAMN HIGH!

Quote Originally Posted by No_Exit View Post
    You forget Byona...

My spellpower is TO DAMN HIGH!
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-FKHYLdKeCp...impossibru.jpg
    See you all in Wildstar!

Just a quick check from this video: http://www.twitch.tv/qarlsberg/b/341405939

For Zaviel, I see that #5 on your dps chart is a rogue at 9.8k. Our last Zaviel we ran two DPS clerics and one of them interrupted. We had a cleric at 9.8k (20dps higher than your 5th rogue =P) and the cleric who interrupted was at 9.2k. So even in a different crowd I think our clerics could crack the top 5 (Our order was Rogue, Mage, Cleric, Mage, Rogue). We only run one chloro so no double WG for us =/. Now, it is worth noting, as Byona said, that we're not going to be top 3 and I find it interesting that your top dps was 10.9k and so was ours. In fact our top 5 read almost the same dps!!! The sole exception is we had a cleric crack in there.

For another quick comparison I can only see HPS rankings from whitelady's stream on Gangnum and Gelidra but your raid dps is the same as ours on both of those fights. For Gelidra we have clerics at #5 and 6 near 11k (one of them puts soul drain on adds the other doesn't and the ST one is higher). For Gangnum we have the same cleric culprit at #5 behind all the mages LOLOLOLOL stand still fight mages. So is he ever going to be #1 with the current class balance, probably not but well worth the raid spot given the flexibility of clerics, CS, and consistency of their DPS (for example, no matter the fight he's in top 5 where as the other classes bounce up and down).
    Trinity - Greybriar - Top Guild?
    Bohr - Cleric - (Check out my stream)
    4/4 ToDQ Conq* :: 4/4 FT Conq* :: 5/5 EE Conq* :: 4/4 dat HM
    GP/DH/GsB/RoS/RoTP/HK/PF/ID Conq
    Rift Raid Progression/Parse Site :: www.topofrift.com :: Use it!

Plane Walker

As the guy above says, clerics are not hindering progress because their dps is very flexible and consistant and still good. And will be almost max from first pull of progression.

But. Right now from what I have seen atleast Clerics have a lower potential. Like if progression on a boss takes a long time and mages start perfecting timings with boss mechanics etc Clerics wont stand a chance the way it is now. Tbh though I dont think any of the physical classes will either.

Ascendant

You could beat any raid boss in FT with all of your DPS as clerics.

The problem is exaggerated on these forums quite a bit, and certain soft enrage mechanics really favor the burst of Inquisitor.

On beta we were equal to rogues, and warriors/mages were slightly ahead (Warriors using melee spec.) Nothing has changed to my knowledge to noticeably affect this, so what you will see is Rogues pulling ahead on heavy movement fights, but even then many of our mobility issues in Inquisitor has been addressed.

Aggressive Renewal, Dehyrdrate, Marrow Harvest: all instant-cast abilities ready to use when you are forced to move, and even then it's not always going to be those; you could have Sanction Heretic, Scourge, or a BoD proc available. Again, there is still a gap in mobility from cleric to rogue, but the difference really isn't that much.

Warriors will fall behind if a fight is melee-unfriendly.

Mages at the moment have access to the most options in terms of addressing mobility, target switching, and burst requirements. However, their top dps still isn't that much better than a cleric. Back to my original assertion: you can run ALL of your dps as clerics, and as long as they understand how to properly play Inquisitor, you will beat any enrages.

Any talk of "benching clerics based on bad dps" just means your raid as a whole needs to stop slacking, and that cleric needs to learn to dps better. They are not the issue, if they are playing their spec properly.
    Last edited by Ahov; 12-02-2012 at 01:59 AM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Ahov View Post
    you can run ALL of your dps as clerics, and as long as they understand how to properly play Inquisitor, you will beat any enrages.
    this here is the main point people are missing is maybe not #1 or #2 dps in raid but if you can beat an enrage mechanic or you can burst on specific parts enough to keep a fight going how is it not viable? the way i see it is a cleric rolling mainspec dps wouldnt be any less viable than another class so long as spec and rotation arent being botched

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Ahov View Post
    You could beat any raid boss in FT with all of your DPS as clerics.

Mages at the moment have access to the most options in terms of addressing , target switching, and burst requirements. However, their top dps still isn't that much better than a cleric. Back to my original assertion: you can run ALL of your dps as clerics, and as long as they understand how to properly play Inquisitor, you will beat any enrages.
    Ofc you can beat FT with Cleric dpsers since all the fights there favor clerics and rogues and warriors in the way that there is alot of target switching going on, but if Ituziel comes again with a supertight enrage timer Clerics would not be as competitive.

PS: Target switching and Burst Requirements as mage? You found a way to combine 61 lock with Fulminate and Flame Volley? O.o.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by mr3onion View Post
    Ofc you can beat FT with Cleric dpsers since all the fights there favor clerics and rogues and warriors in the way that there is alot of target switching going on, but if Ituziel comes again with a supertight enrage timer Clerics would not be as competitive.

PS: Target switching and Burst Requirements as mage? You found a way to combine 61 lock with Fulminate and Flame Volley? O.o.
    I'm sorry, I did not mean to imply they could address those concerns in the same spec.

As far as "super-tight enrage timers" go, those are generally more a function of your healing composition than your dps performance. Sure, maybe you have a few slackers, but what if you cut back a full healer and told your other healers to play better? Even if converted into a poorly-played dps, switching a Puri or Sent to dps is at least 8k.

It's possible Trion could make an enrage based around needing....500 dps more than what clerics can do, but I really doubt it. You're talking sub-1% tuning on enrage.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast