+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about tanking

Soulwalker

Default Question about tanking

In another thread it mentions the use of our healing/dps gear while tanking dungeons. That seems well and good, except for the need for toughness. I started playing in Oct and I am part of a small guild. We don't have the means to run raids, even in the old world content. How do I get tanking gear being in the early 50's?

You don't need toughness until expert level.

dbe
    General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Star View Post
    You don't need toughness until expert level.
    Not only that, it took me 3 pieces of pre-expert tank gear to get 275 toughness. That's with no runes.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by dbe View Post
    Not only that, it took me 3 pieces of pre-expert tank gear to get 275 toughness. That's with no runes.
    That doesn't sound right. 3 pieces of pre-expert tank gear should only give you 225, seeing as it is 75 toughness per piece, 4 pieces. 100 toughness gear is expert-equivalent gear.

yea, but there are a ton of pre-expert pieces that drop w\ 100 toughness. (I've gotten 2 from world events )
    Beta Participated: SW:TOR, RIFT,EQ2:SF, EQ2:TSO, AoC, STO, GW, RO
    Veteran of: SWTOR, AOC (again), STO, EQ2, LOTRO, WAR, AoC, Van, DAoC, CoH, WOW, GW, Lin2, SWG, Lin1, AO, RO, EQ, UO, Medievia

dbe
    General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Golladan View Post
    That doesn't sound right. 3 pieces of pre-expert tank gear should only give you 225, seeing as it is 75 toughness per piece, 4 pieces. 100 toughness gear is expert-equivalent gear.
    As the other guy said, some pieces have 100. One of them I got was a world drop.

Conversely, I just got a purple drop from the last boss of Expert Emp that only had 75.
    Last edited by dbe; 12-02-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Plane Walker

If it has the stats of the gear you get with Empyreal Slayer's Mark, it is expert gear. It doesn't matter if it was a drop, crafted, acquired via infinity stones, or whatever. It's in the same tier. Just because you can get it outside of expert dungeons doesn't make it pre-expert gear.

You can get a full set of expert gear without ever setting foot in an expert dungeon. Craft and a buttload of infinity stones.

If you find items with stats that don't match the tier they're supposed to be in, bug report them. Specially if it is a purple drop from a boss in an expert dungeon. Sometimes gear with wrong stats come up. Like the crafted rings only having 40 hit when they were supposed to have 53. Or all the 1h weapons that were fixed in the last hotfix that had 65 hit when they were supposed to have 25.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonreiyn View Post
    In another thread it mentions the use of our healing/dps gear while tanking dungeons. That seems well and good, except for the need for toughness. I started playing in Oct and I am part of a small guild. We don't have the means to run raids, even in the old world content. How do I get tanking gear being in the early 50's?
    You can purchase decent starter tanking gear with Infinity Stones (will need a lot!). Get these from higher level carnages and world events.
    Other than that, there's a few crafted recipes with decent tank stats available.

+ Reply to Thread