+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Top support builds

Champion

Default Top support builds

Hey just wanted to post a few of the common, top support builds for clerics. This post will be about one of the best all around build for high dps, high heals, and low utility.

42inquisitor/14justicar/10sentinel.

Strengths /reasoning/comparison to other popular but inferior builds :

Very strong aoe heals
    very stong st(arguably the highest) dps
    very strong aoe dps
    strong passive tank healing via righteous mandate
    Strong passive aoe healing via reparation

This build is superior to 51 inquisitor builds as 51 inquisitor gives up either righteous mandate, or some to most of the points in sentinel.

This builds st dps is approximately = in st dps, if not ahead, due to the extra points in sentinel.
    Aoe dps is higher due to ten points in sentinel.
    Aoe healing is stonger due to sentinel.
    superior tank healing due to both sentinel and rm which 51 inq builds often do not have.

So in all aspects this build is either = to or better than 51 inq builds.

A common mistake people make in thinking 51 inq is better dps is the spell power bonus you get to vex and sh from the extra 9 points. However, the truth is that with 10 sentinel in the 42 inq build, the extra spell power and crit multiplier applies to all spells including sh and vex AND all of our heals. This also results in much better aoe dps also. Higher dps = higher heals with icar.

This build is capable of 2k dps and 2k hps on appropriate fights and can break 2.5k dps st with moa during phases when extra healing is not needed.

Changing miens between moh and moa can be beneficial as well on certain fights.

Weaknesses : this spec has no cleanse, brez, protect the flock, tank healing cd 's etc.

Again its purpose is max dps, max heals, and good support tank heals via rm.

Ascendant

If you're counting on RM heals from a hybrid spec in a raid setting you're going to have problems, the points in RM feel mostly wasted. 45/11/10 would be preferred to this for what you're described - "high dps, high heals, low utility".

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelightt View Post
    If you're counting on RM heals from a hybrid spec in a raid setting you're going to have problems, the points in RM feel mostly wasted. 45/11/10 would be preferred to this for what you're described - "high dps, high heals, low utility".
    I believe 3 points in justicar cannot be better spent anywhere else in a high dps icar build. This is a massive return on investment compared to the negligible gain of shifting elsewhere. Here are the facts of why i feel this way:

When salvation applies overhealing to the tank via righteous mandate, the tank is receiving healing = to 11 to 25% of the damage done. With dps typically between 2k and 5k, this equates to 200-500 hps on the tank from a measly 3 points to get rm. This is not including the increase in healing that salvation recieves from moh.

There is no better spec from which to have rm. I agree that 11 points in justicar is better in the low dps high utility specs. Low dps = low rm heals.

These aren't support builds, they're healing builds.

Ascendant

We've been through this a lot, and it's from the same guy. I think it's great he's passionate about that build but I still think that righteous mandate in general is overrated, purpose can be good though.

Also there's been claims that a 51 build does less damage but I'm not so sure about that, it will do more AOE damage, but that's not really what the build is about, there's no way a 42 point build will do more DPS, a 45 point build however will get you bigger DOLs when they crit, and that is a worthwhile thing. A 51 point build is no doubt going to be better in a PVP environment.

I think a 45 point build is where it's at, where you spend the points is up to you, you can decide to drop 5% off your damage crit, won't effect your heals, and you can keep things like bewilder and the full control immunity for instance, which may or not be a thing you use at a raid, can depend on the encounter.
    Last edited by Malark; 07-12-2012 at 07:09 AM.

Champion

Actually looking for some posts regarding the hiher utility builds such as those that go deeper sentinel or warden for the added utility.

42 point inquisitor support spec is not classified as a healer....its a support build.

Ascendant

I agree with the 42/14/10 spec. My reasoning may be a bit different than the OP's.

I find inquisicar to be a......wasted spec on most fights.

However, it really shines on Laethys. Everything really clicks. You have Healing Breath available every laethys breath, you can do better dps in P1 with Mien of Aggression, Righteous Mandate isn't wasted because the add tank will always need healing, and you can switch to Mien of Honor for P2/P3 and pump out 4k hps.

I prefer 44/12/10. Let the senticar put RM on the tank. Inquisicar is about dps combined with group/raid heals. You should be in Mein of Agression and pumping out DPS and hitting DoL when multiple people are damaged. The tank is not your problem, leave that to the Chloro, Senticar (person who should be using RM) or the Purifier. Toss out HB on anybody close to dieing including the tank, but otherwise again, the tank is not your problem and you shouldn't be overwriting somebody's more appropriate RM.

I've got a couple of questions based on what people have been saying here:

1) How will a 45 pt build give bigger DoL crits than a 42 pt one, unless you're for some reason you're not picking up Fanatic's Faith in the 42 pt build, in which case you're better going 44 pts - 5/5 Fanatic's Faith + 2/5 Unholy Tutelage - with 12 pts in Justicar for Purpose?

2) Beyond Doctrine of Righteousness, why should a Senticar have RM on the tank over an Inquisicar? The Inquisicar's going to be pumping out a significant amount more Salvation healing over the course of the encounter, and I don't see why a Senticar should be wasting GCDs and Convictions on Doctrine of Righteousness unless it's the only healer left alive, given that in raids it's primarily an AoE heal/utility machine with decent, but not amazing ST heal backup (at least, that's how I tend to use my Senticar in 20 mans anyway).

Rift Disciple

Reperation and RMandate really do very small of heals compared to total healing you're going to put out.
    Most fights end up 95% heals from DoL, 5% from Rep/RM. It's so small it's not worth getting.

The only reason Senticars use RM i would guess is to target Reprieve on the tank.

The only reason Senticars use RM i would guess is to target Reprieve on the tank.
    Ok that I can understand. I don't use a 2 Brez Senticar, so I'd forgotten about Reprieve.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Lalothen View Post
    I've got a couple of questions based on what people have been saying here:

1) How will a 45 pt build give bigger DoL crits than a 42 pt one, unless you're for some reason you're not picking up Fanatic's Faith in the 42 pt build, in which case you're better going 44 pts - 5/5 Fanatic's Faith + 2/5 Unholy Tutelage - with 12 pts in Justicar for Purpose?

2) Beyond Doctrine of Righteousness, why should a Senticar have RM on the tank over an Inquisicar? The Inquisicar's going to be pumping out a significant amount more Salvation healing over the course of the encounter, and I don't see why a Senticar should be wasting GCDs and Convictions on Doctrine of Righteousness unless it's the only healer left alive, given that in raids it's primarily an AoE heal/utility machine with decent, but not amazing ST heal backup (at least, that's how I tend to use my Senticar in 20 mans anyway).
    In answer to number 1, it won't sorry I was pretty tired last night and the post I made is not very clear. I was referring to 51 vs 45 with the DOLs.

I agree with you on number 2. Yeah there is reprieve I guess. I'm not sure if Fleetness is having a lend by telling people to use Mein Of Aggression with DOL or just got their Meins mixed up.
    Last edited by Malark; 07-13-2012 at 02:08 AM.

RM is mostly wasted. In the current RIFT raid environment the nature of the damage prevents RM from helping enough to make it worth the waste of 2 points. Therefor 12 points in Justicar should be plenty (grabbing purpose). Now that said... ive run an icar on laethy's with only 11 points in Justicar and it works just fine. If you know how to manage your mana and don't derp into blue and have your mana drained.... the only mana regen you need the entire fight is AR.

I usually roll in one of 2 icar specs. One of them is a higher Sent spec to grab HC/AoE cleanse.. and the other is a simple PTF icar.

My primary is a 38 inq, 11 just, 17 sent. I have run it on Laethy's quite a bit. Ive never had mana problems between AR, pots, and smart mana play. I pull on average 3.5k dps on phase 1 with 600-800k heals, and on phase 2 i pull 2k dps, with 3.5-4k heals.

Now obviously those numbers can fluctuate based upon the raid setup, the derp, and other things...

Ive never quite understood the reasoning behind going much higher in Inquisitor. I can see a 44 build, but tbh the dps bump between high 30's and 40's is minimal and the healing loss is larger. Now obviously it depends on your raid setup or group setup... but ive tried my hand at higher icar builds including the 51 and never been impressed at all.
    Last edited by No_Exit; 07-13-2012 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malark View Post
    In answer to number 1, it won't sorry I was pretty tired last night and the post I made is not very clear. I was referring to 51 vs 45 with the DOLs.

I agree with you on number 2. Yeah there is reprieve I guess. I'm not sure if Fleetness is having a lend by telling people to use Mein Of Aggression with DOL or just got their Meins mixed up.
    Wasn't as clear in my post as I could have been. I change Meins depending on how much healing is needed. If I don't need to heal MoA, If DoL's are needed then MoH.

I carry the 44 INQ, 12 Just, 10 Sent for DPS/Support, I carry the 32 Sent, 22 Just, 12 Inq for pretty much everything else, it works in PvP, 5 Mans, 10 Mans and 20 Mans and can solo heal more than you would think. That is why I don't bother with RM on Inquisicar. Any situation that I would think to need RM on the tank, I would switch to the Senticar. Now if you don't have a Senticar and only have the Inquisicar, then it might be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by No_Exit View Post
    RM is mostly wasted. In the current RIFT raid environment the nature of the damage prevents RM from helping enough to make it worth the waste of 2 points. Therefor 12 points in Justicar should be plenty (grabbing purpose). Now that said... ive run an icar on laethy's with only 11 points in Justicar and it works just fine. If you know how to manage your mana and don't derp into blue and have your mana drained.... the only mana regen you need the entire fight is AR.
    I'd suggest the only build where RM makes a lot of sense is Cabicar. It's not a raiding build per se, even though I love using it on trash and stubbornly refuse to part with it. Outside of a raid RM can be useful in 5 mans and perhaps 10 mans, once again mainly for trash when paired with an Inquisicar or perhaps for Reprieve in some Senticars.

I usually roll in one of 2 icar specs. One of them is a higher Sent spec to grab HC/AoE cleanse.. and the other is a simple PTF icar.

My primary is a 38 inq, 11 just, 17 sent. I have run it on Laethy's quite a bit. Ive never had mana problems between AR, pots, and smart mana play. I pull on average 3.5k dps on phase 1 with 600-800k heals, and on phase 2 i pull 2k dps, with 3.5-4k heals.

Now obviously those numbers can fluctuate based upon the raid setup, the derp, and other things...
    I'm not a big fan of Inquisicars in a Raid setting and I've been flamed for that opinion in the past so I won't go down that road here. I also use the 38/17/11 PtF variant, it brings useful utility with a purge, cleanse, and the nice raid damage reduction. It would be nice to include Purpose with this build but you can get by without it. Healing Communion is a nice bonus if you are out of Convictions, you even get TTL to HC on the move in an emergency.

Ive never quite understood the reasoning behind going much higher in Inquisitor. I can see a 44 build, but tbh the dps bump between high 30's and 40's is minimal and the healing loss is larger. Now obviously it depends on your raid setup or group setup... but ive tried my hand at higher icar builds including the 51 and never been impressed at all.
    There is a small but noticeable single target DPS boost between the 38 and 44 point Sentinel variants. This on it's own shouldn't be the reason to use one over the other. The specs are more about utility and healing, not the damage they can do. I have also used a 44 Inq / 12 Justi / 10 Ward variant. You lose the PtF buff but retain a cleanse, pick up a 15% boost to your DoL and the always aweseome Tidal Surge.

I think these are the best two Inquisicar builds in a raid setting.
    Last edited by Bowler Hat; 07-13-2012 at 05:48 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast