+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do I need a pet to level?

Soulwalker

Default Do I need a pet to level?

Hey guys, very new to the class and just have a quick question.
    From what I have read Druid's are the only class that have a pet.
    I have a Rogue and Mage both with pets who I use as tanks, can I get away with leveling as a Cleric without using a pet?
    I'am more interested in dps and light heals but went Inq/Warden/Sentinel as the suggested build on the tree.
    So no pet and not sure if this build is the way to go.
    Any advice on leveling builds and if a pet is needed would be great

MNM
    Prophet of Telara

That definitely works, once the warden hot stops outhealing all damage you take you should swap warden with justicar

Rift Master

FWIW when I leveled my cleric the Duracell build was still serviceable, and I had no problem outside of a few very tough elites (e.g. trying to do Death Saga by myself. That was painful.) soloing anything and everything, including those elites in Rock Ridge in Scarlet Gorge. Basically outside of dungeons and zone events, I never had the need to group up to do a quest or kill a mob.

Not sure what has changed since it was Patch 1.7 when I leveled him.

You definitely don't need a pet. In fact, most would believe (besides scary sig guy) that going druid would make it more difficult to level. Inq/Sent/Ward is a good way to go. Happy hunting!
    Founder, and sometime Cleric

Well considering the druid pets are based on dps and healing and NOT tanking... i dont think it really is comparable. The Satyr only comes into play after 30 points are put into the tree and its all about dps and nothing else. The Faerie comes into play right away however its all about healing most of the time and certainly cant "tank".

What you "could" do is run a hybrid druid dps spec and have the faerie heal you as you level... but in my opinion the best leveling specs do not contain druid.

I would go with a Inquisitor/Sent build... droppin some points in Justi later on. I always made great use of the combination of the Vex self heal thats 10 points into Inq (dot up a bunch of targets, run around refreshing when needed), and Healing Breath (Instant strong self heal for if you start to get low).
    Last edited by No_Exit; 07-11-2012 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by No_Exit View Post
    Well considering the druid pets are based on dps and healing and NOT tanking... i dont think it really is comparable. The Satyr only comes into play after 30 points are put into the tree and its all about dps and nothing else. The Faerie comes into play right away however its all about healing most of the time and certainly cant "tank".
    For what it's worth you can turn youir Satyr into a pseudo tank by taking 14 Justicar with your Druid. If you use Mien of Honor the Satyr will out threat you, and Righteous Mandate on him will provide some nice healing. Keep him topped with Balm of the Woods, Doctrine of Righteousness and preferably Healing Breath if you've got it. Zero points in Sentinel will do the trick.

What you "could" do is run a hybrid druid dps spec and have the faerie heal you as you level... but in my opinion the best leveling specs do not contain druid.

I would go with a Inquisitor/Sent build... droppin some points in Justi later on. I always made great use of the combination of the Vex self heal thats 10 points into Inq (dot up a bunch of targets, run around refreshing when needed), and Healing Breath (Instant strong self heal for if you start to get low).
    I levelled as Druid and had no significant issues, but it was a long time ago. I prefer melee and Shaman was weaker then. I brought my PVP alt up as Inquisitor, it seemed a little faster but then I wasn't hanging around to smell the roses with him. I'm not sure it matters which soul you choose thesedays, just pick the one you like the looks of and stick Justicar with it. I'd wager you could level as Cabalist and Justicar if you played it appropriately.

Soulwalker

Thank you so much guys awesome help.
    I'am still really new to the game so any good advice is always appreciated.
    I'll stick with what I spec'd so far and enjoy the ride

Soulwalker

Hmm..couldnt find the edit button, anyway next question, one hand and off hand or a two hander for my weapon/s? Just stack as much wisdom as I can correct?

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Storm68 View Post
    Hmm..couldnt find the edit button, anyway next question, one hand and off hand or a two hander for my weapon/s? Just stack as much wisdom as I can correct?
    If you play melee (druid / shaman) -> 2H. If you play ranged, take the combo that gives you the most stats.

For the stats while leveling : SP > Wis > Int > SC > Endu. But you don't have to worry much before level 50, as cleric items will always provide these stats. If you just hesitate between 2 drops, take the one that gives you the most SP (Wis * 0.75 + Int * 0.25 + SP).

Telaran

i had a lot of fun with a justicar/shaman build, you just need justicar for self heal, precept and salvation increase, but you can go without shield if you want. There are a couple of spell power shields you can craft/buy (I cant remember, but i know theyre there), or you can just use a regular tanking shield. The weapon damage you lose from not having a 2hander is very insignificant compared to the loss of spell power when equipping a shield, so its really nothing to worry about. The shield will give you a lot of mitigation though, making it much easier to kill elites, of course depending also on how far you go into justicar.

But you could honestly use just about anything. You will want to incorporate some healing, probably using vex, druid heal, healing breath and/or justicar healing. Other than that its a choice between spell damage or melee damage.

+ Reply to Thread