+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Galibier
  • 1 Post By Calibrex
  • 1 Post By Bowler Hat

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Melee with a staff

Default Melee with a staff

Just a quick question: Does a hammer actually do more damage than a staff when playing a melee build?

Soulwalker

Yeah hammers are slower, meaning they hit for more than a staff does. So for attacks that use weapon damage you'll do a lot more damage using a hammer.
    Last edited by Psilocyanide; 07-02-2012 at 05:47 PM.

3.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #3
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by Psilocyanide View Post
    Yeah hammers are slower, meaning they hit for more than a staff does. So for attacks that use weapon damage you'll do a lot more damage using a hammer.
    All weapon damage is normalized based on type.

The only difference between two weapons with equivalent DPS, but different speeds, is that the slower weapon will auto attack less frequently, but for more damage. The damage over time remains the same. The damage applied to abilities remains the same.

You may refer to the "Weapon Damage" field on a weapon to see the damage that is actually applied to an ability when it says it deals weapon damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Psilocyanide View Post
    Absolute nonsense! Please don't spread FUD

Weapon damage is normalised in this game, weapon speed is irrelevant for all abilities except auto attack. The ONLY stat you are interested in is the weapon DPS, the higher the better. Pick whichever weapon has higher weapon DPS and, more importantly, whichever weapon you chose to put your PA points into.

There was a post on this just last week if you had bothered to look.

It was actually normalized back in the Betas FYI. Trion wanted to avoid the complete mess that happened in EQ2 where rogues and brawlers didn't want the weapons itemized for them because the faster weapon speeds meant a lower damage spread.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    The only difference between two weapons with equivalent DPS, but different speeds, is that the slower weapon will auto attack less frequently.
    Based on my experience with Rift and all other, similar MMOs, I was convinced (well, I still am) that weapon speed is not only a factor for auto attack speed, but it directly affects the gobal cooldown as well (or basically, it IS the gobal cooldown).
    The faster the weapon, the faster players can use their skills, faster weapon grants shorter intervals between the activation of two skills.
    Last edited by renthicya; 07-03-2012 at 08:39 AM.
    P2P= good
    F2P/item mall = byebye
    FRAK!

Quote Originally Posted by renthicya View Post
    Based on my experience with Rift and all other, similar MMOs, I was convinced (well, I still am) that weapon speed is not only a factor for auto attack speed, but it directly affects the gobal cooldown as well
    Stop the lies. Scroll above to the cleric Dev's post.

Quote: "The only difference between two weapons with equivalent DPS, but different speeds, is that the slower weapon will auto attack less frequently, but for more damage. The damage over time remains the same. The damage applied to abilities remains the same."

GCD is the same.
    Where's the Auction House to buy more DPS for my cleric?

Champion of Telara

Based on my experience Cleric DPS sucks not matter what you use so just man-up and heal

OK OK I jest. Well, not really cleric DPS does suck but as others have pointed out weapon speed has little or no effect on DPS or GCDs. So it really just comes down to how you spec your PA's. If I recall correctly the BIS dps weapon for clerics is a Hammer but there are twice as many staff drops to hammer drops on the BIS list. So it might be best to go for Staff now until you get one of the BIS hammers.
    I kill more players than anyone! Just ask the last raid that asked me to heal!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    I wanted to come out and say the following pretty definitively: There is no goal to make DPS clerics that DPS do less damage than other callings.

Based on my experience with Rift and all other, similar MMOs, I was convinced (well, I still am) that weapon speed is not only a factor for auto attack speed, but it directly affects the gobal cooldown as well
    Surely you jest? I guess if you want to remain deluded that's your choice, I mean what would the guy you quoted know anyway right?

methinks you live under a bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    You may refer to the "Weapon Damage" field on a weapon to see the damage that is actually applied to an ability when it says it deals weapon damage.
    Thank you for the authoritative response. I had a feeling this was the case.

My first build as a cleric was a sentinel/shaman/druid, I used to run around in the low level warfronts thwocking people to death with my staff. That spec is long gone but lately I've been missing the thwock noise. I've been wanting to try a hybrid build with all three melee souls, but someone told me that you needed a hammer to melee. When I get home I'm going to give it a shot with my trusty staff.

11.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #11
    Rift Team

Based on my experience with Rift and all other, similar MMOs, I was convinced (well, I still am) that weapon speed is not only a factor for auto attack speed, but it directly affects the gobal cooldown as well (or basically, it IS the gobal cooldown).
    The faster the weapon, the faster players can use their skills, faster weapon grants shorter intervals between the activation of two skills.
    Cooldown groups, including the global cooldown groups, are set on a per ability basis. Your weapon speed has no affect on global cooldowns. This is easily tested in game by using, say, Crushing Blow repeatedly with a 3.8 speed weapon. You will find that you may use Crushing Blow every 1.5s.
    Last edited by Zinbik; 07-05-2012 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Star View Post
    I've been wanting to try a hybrid build with all three melee souls, but someone told me that you needed a hammer to melee. When I get home I'm going to give it a shot with my trusty staff.
    Yeah, you don't NEED a hammer to melee, it just tends to be better. Don't forget to look at all your stats and test which is better. Also bear in mind procs. Should you happen to have Asphodel's Primal Beacon it beats everything up to Bane of Madness because of the insane proc from it. I've never had it - and this still makes me sad.

+ Reply to Thread