+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Is it possible to support heal as a cleric?

Soulwalker

Default Is it possible to support heal as a cleric?

I mean in the same way that a mage can, with a mix of chloromancer and any other tree. Basically, me and two friends have recently come back to Rift, and we're all DPS at the moment. We have a warrior, cleric, and mage (me). So, I want to try out healing so that we can get into more groups, but I'm a little worried about healing just by myself, so I'd like my cleric buddy to support heal if possible! He's currently using the Inquisitor build over in the guides, so I'm thinking about getting him to try the DoL inquisitor guide. It's 51/11/4, or something along those lines. I figure this should let him still do decent DPS, while reparation lets him heal the group some, and DoL if we get into any trouble. Does this sound like a good plan? Oh, and we all have crappy to decent gear, nothing great, which is why I'm worried about solo healing. I MIGHT be able to do it fine, but I want to have some backup just in case!

Oh, and one thing I'm wondering about: which mien to use? It seems like I'd want him using honor at first, for increased heals, and then maybe switching to aggression if I'm having absolutely no trouble healing. Does this sound right?

Plane Touched

Well you're abolutly right. Inquisitor is the support healing build for cleric via Reparation and DoL. You're also right about the mien.
    I however recommand you the 42 / 14 / 10 build which provide better heals, better aoe damage, and about the same ST damage.

I however recommand you the 42 / 14 / 10 build which provide better heals, better aoe damage, and about the same ST damage.
    This the Inquisicar build I run, and to me it's the best overall variant. Just to add: you also get access to Righteous Mandate with this build meaning more passive healing on the tank, and Purpose for a handy melee-range mana regen (not that you'll really need it that much outside of specific encounters in a raid setting).

In all honesty though, running any decent variation of Chloromancer (51 Chloro/15 Pyro is typically my go-to spec on my mage) you should be fine solo-healing 9.5 times out of 10.

Telaran

To support heal like a Chloro, you, at minimum, need Reparation (11 Justicar) and whatever DPS spec makes you happy. Go up to 14 Justicar for Righteous Mandate if you want to tank heal.

High AoE Damage, Low ST dmg: High Cabalist. 51Cab/14Justicar/1 sent can easily solo heal almost any trash group in the game *outside of ID* since half of the trash comes in 2s. 5/10/20man.

High ST dmg, Decent AE dmg: high Inquisitor. Get 11-14 points in Justicar, 42-51 points in Inquisitor and put the rest in Sentinel. 42/14/10 as stated before seems to be a sweet spot. Inquisitor also has a unique debuff called Clinging Spirit from Bolt of Depravity and Soul Drain that is 5% extra magic damage.

Melee: High Shaman. 44Shaman/22 Justicar is a just really fun spec and a great solo spec as well.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Matraxia View Post
    Melee: High Shaman. 44Shaman/22 Justicar is a just really fun spec and a great solo spec as well.
    Is this similar to the old duracell build? I just came back to the game and it seems they nerfed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Iadar View Post
    Is this similar to the old duracell build? I just came back to the game and it seems they nerfed that.
    The Duracell build is typified by putting points into the Inquisitor tree. Basically a Shamicar with Soul Drain. Other than that it is very similar.

Soul Drain is a nice AOE boost and a big Salvation/Reparation healing spike, but it can be dicey at times especially when soloing. When soloing you will sometimes die waiting for your Soul Drain to complete due to pushback, or can be interrupted/silenced/knocked back, or sometimes the slight delay between damage dealt and Salvation healing received. Soul Drain shamicar variants do a lot better when there is a tank around and can be a fun spec to play.

Champion

As mentioned in a couple of the first responses:

42inquisitor/14justicar/10 sentinel is by far the best all around support spec for cleric.

If you factor in single target dps, aoe dps, support tank heals, and raid heals, it is hands down the best.

Champion of Telara

An other fun option is to go Druidicar. You then can either use Fairy for heavy healing and light damage or Satar for just DOL healing and heavy DPS. The nice thing about Druid is that if you are light on gear it still puts out great DPS. Perfect for 5 and 10 mans.
    I kill more players than anyone! Just ask the last raid that asked me to heal!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    I wanted to come out and say the following pretty definitively: There is no goal to make DPS clerics that DPS do less damage than other callings.

Champion

Off topic, but Ivengar you should change your signature since, by trions definition, it is incorrect. Dont want new clerics to think they cant support.

Healing is healing.

Dps is dps.

Dps, healing, and providing buffs as needed, is support.

The druid thing isnt a bad idea if you like melee.
    Last edited by stefe; 07-03-2012 at 09:51 AM.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by stefe View Post
    Off topic, but Ivengar you should change your signature since, by trions definition, it is incorrect. Dont want new clerics to think they cant support.

Healing is healing.

Dps is dps.

The druid thing isnt a bad idea if you like melee.
    LOL, as soon as I posted in this thread I was wondering how long it would take for someone to say something

I will say though, that Druid is the only soul that breaks that. Reparation puts out so little healing that I don't really count it, but as a druid with fairy you can be doing full DPS while your pet is healing away for good heals. That is the only time a cleric can heal AND dps at the same time for decent chunks. Any time you stop DPSing to fire off a DOL you are not DPSing.
    I kill more players than anyone! Just ask the last raid that asked me to heal!!!!!

I wanted to come out and say the following pretty definitively: There is no goal to make DPS clerics that DPS do less damage than other callings.

Quote Originally Posted by stefe View Post

Healing is healing.

Dps is dps.

Archon, bard, and dominator are support souls.

DPS, healing and buffs as needed is a support role.

These only coincide in the case of Bard. And note that clerics cannot provide buffs as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivengar View Post
    LOL, as soon as I posted in this thread I was wondering how long it would take for someone to say something

I will say though, that Druid is the only soul that breaks that. Reparation puts out so little healing that I don't really count it, but as a druid with fairy you can be doing full DPS while your pet is healing away for good heals. That is the only time a cleric can heal AND dps at the same time for decent chunks. Any time you stop DPSing to fire off a DOL you are not DPSing.

If you have your fairy out, you aren't technically doing full dps :L

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Eughe View Post
    If you have your fairy out, you aren't technically doing full dps :L
    You are not doing the max DPS a druid can do, true. But you are doing DPS and healing at the same time for DPS amounts that will parse you higher than a senticar will.

Rift Chaser

I "support" heal with 51 Druid/14 Justicar. But you can't queue as Support with that. It's either 22 or 23 points in Justicar to queue as Support.

51 Druid parses higher DPS for me than Shaman or Inquisitor (not much, but a touch), as well. But I'm generally doing PvE in PvP gear, so that's probably the main reason. 51 Druid/15 Shaman/0 Purifier is what I do world PvE with, or 33/33 Shaman/Justicar, if I want to be really lazy and never worry about dying but kill stuff slower.
    Last edited by Velkane; 07-03-2012 at 12:18 PM.
    Arch General Velkhar, P50 Cleric
    PvP Healing: Purifier, AoE Healer, Senticar, Ward/Sent
    PvP Open World: Duracell-esque

Quote Originally Posted by Ivengar View Post
    You are not doing the max DPS a druid can do, true. But you are doing DPS and healing at the same time for DPS amounts that will parse you higher than a senticar will.
    Still doesn't make you a dps or full dps in the least. You are simply a healer who has to dps to heal (else your fairly heals will be in the pooper and you can't dol)
    Same way chloro needs to dps to heal but is a healer
    And archon needs to dps to arch but is still support
    Your dps is inconsequential to the raid

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast