+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By Valarion
  • 1 Post By Valnak
  • 1 Post By Valnak

Thread: Pvp advice

Rift Disciple

Default Pvp advice

So up until now i've avoided PvP like the plague on my Cleric but figure it's about time to give that avenue a fair go but being a total nab at it wanted to test the waters for some advice.

Obviously I know i'm in for a whoopin' for a while and will basically die a lot until I get up to speed gear-wise and such, but i'm curious about which spec to start out on. I read about PvP healing being a bit gimped out now so wasn't sure if this was ideal to start out with. Also, do you need to have Templar as one of your chosen souls to qualify for PvP (I've never seen many people putting points into it for PvP builds i've seen - always like to know the reasoning behind these types of decisions).

If there are any nice updated Cleric guides then feel free to point me in the right direction, I had a search but all the ones I found seemed hopelessly outdated.

Quote Originally Posted by Magrothen View Post
    So up until now i've avoided PvP like the plague on my Cleric but figure it's about time to give that avenue a fair go but being a total nab at it wanted to test the waters for some advice.

Obviously I know i'm in for a whoopin' for a while and will basically die a lot until I get up to speed gear-wise and such, but i'm curious about which spec to start out on. I read about PvP healing being a bit gimped out now so wasn't sure if this was ideal to start out with. Also, do you need to have Templar as one of your chosen souls to qualify for PvP (I've never seen many people putting points into it for PvP builds i've seen - always like to know the reasoning behind these types of decisions).

If there are any nice updated Cleric guides then feel free to point me in the right direction, I had a search but all the ones I found seemed hopelessly outdated.
    I would seriously reconsider pvp healing. I've played nothing but healers since beta and Ive just about given up with this game. I left twice and came back, only now to leave again. Some major pvp changes to bring you up to date:

1) Clerics got overnerfed
    2) Dps got overbuffed
    3) Not satisfied with the heal debuff buffs alone, they implemented a heal siphon mechanic specifically designed to stack with debuff and kill us anyway.
    4) Our pvp survivability tree (Templar) is gone and so are all the other goodies (Detaunt, DR, self rez all gone)
    5) Overall our survivability is at a new low and class wide time to kill is totally in the ****ter, even with full end game gear and max valor.

Compared to the other 9-10 MMORPG games I've played, healers have it the worst here. So I'd stick to something else.

Rift Disciple

Sounds about what I thought from reading the forums...shame as I fancied only having a single toon for this game and just being thorough with him....well I guess i'll finish levelling off my Rogue and PvP with him then instead.

Cheers for the tips

Templar is no more.

The War Tree (PvP Tree of Planar Attunment) is very nice.

For PvP specs, there are a few floating around, but honestly anything will do fine. What I do when I join a WF is look at how many healers we have. If we have at least 1 per group then I'll default to DPS (like a 51 Inquisitor). If we have fewer I'll default to a raid healing spec like Senticar.

Lately I've enjoyed Druidicar as well for PvP.

The key to remember, you are not front lines, so don't be there. Be with the group, in the back or middle. As your gear improves you can move further up.

If you are just starting PvP you will not be matched, most the time, against top ranked players, so enjoy being a newb like everyone else.

Sounds about what I thought from reading the forums...shame as I fancied only having a single toon for this game and just being thorough with him....well I guess i'll finish levelling off my Rogue and PvP with him then instead.

Cheers for the tips

Maybe later I'll find it for you, but in the PvP forums they were trying to make 'dream teams' of pvp players. The thread got derailed when they started debating who to target first and the names of a few notorious clerics came up and they argued if you should focus them or if focusing them would just make them lolz on you.

Skilled players are skilled players, and any of the classes in Rift can be wielded with zeal. Play what you like and ignore FotM or even FotY.

Healing is fine, the only difference is that you can no longer tank an entire team by yourself because clerics have been balanced.

There are tons of threads describing viable specs, strats and gear styles, but all are completely useless without you learning how to pvp yourself.

So grab a spec you think you might like to pvp with, go pvp with it. If it doesn't seem to work, mix it up. Try all three of the healing souls, they're all pretty amazing in different ways in pvp. Then try mixing them with Justicar for DoL.

My suggestion is to try to fit 28 sent into every healing spec you get. Serendipity is amazingly powerful.

You can tank entire team so long as they aren't warriors. Then they can bee line through damn near everyone sans heals with great ease.

Because thats the definition of balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Eughe View Post
    You can tank entire team so long as they aren't warriors. Then they can bee line through damn near everyone sans heals with great ease.

Because thats the definition of balance.
    Fortunately, those warriors die very quickly if you have halfway competent dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Valnak View Post
    Unless those other dps are also warriors, then no. Warrior can survive long enough to kill most opponents before the opposite occurs.

Unless we are speaking paper pvp, then yeah sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Valnak View Post
    "It's not OP because it dies under focus fire!"

yeah, no **** Sherlock.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Valarion View Post
    Compared to the other 9-10 MMORPG games I've played, healers have it the worst here. So I'd stick to something else.
    you really bad then ... try some other game ...

Ascendant

Sounds about what I thought from reading the forums
    NO these forums have NOTHING to do with the real game. These forums are just full of whiners who cant stand to lose. The irreality in this forum is really outstanding ...

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Antigonos View Post
    NO these forums have NOTHING to do with the real game. These forums are just full of whiners who cant stand to lose. The irreality in this forum is really outstanding ...
    That made me LoL...I always take forums with a pinch of salt. It's always fun to look through all the different classes and see every single one of them complain they are broken in some way and other classes have it easier. You simply can't please all the people all the time.

I guess i'll just dive in and play, the new Conquest feature should help ease me in a bit more and I didn't realise there was a matching system in place for PvP (been out of the game for a while so just getting back to grips with everything) so that will help too. It's always nice to prove the whiners wrong as well so will try my best ;)

Rift Chaser

I didn't realise there was a matching system in place for PvP (been out of the game for a while so just getting back to grips with everything) so that will help too. It's always nice to prove the whiners wrong as well so will try my best ;)
    The matching system doesn't work so well except during prime time. At least it rarely ever kicked in on the Seastone cluster. The PvE-oriented clusters might have more low-ranked PvPers, so the matching system may work better there.
    Arch General Velkhar, P50 Cleric
    PvP Healing: Purifier, AoE Healer, Senticar, Ward/Sent
    PvP Open World: Duracell-esque

+ Reply to Thread