+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Rerolling from cleric to???

Champion

Default Rerolling from cleric to???

So, after over a year invested in my cleric, 45k pa(not alot to some, but i work 70 hours a week, so i think thats more than most have honestly), i am thinking about changing mains.

I really love the cleric class overall, and having the ability to tank when i want, support heal as icar, and primarily, first and foremost, dps. I also really enjoy pvp, and have been r8 since last october(max rank before new ranks came out).

I think clerics are perfect as tanks. If that was my main spec i would be thrilled. They havent always been that good, but I have to say they have done a superb job balancing them as tanks.

Heals of course they are superb, with lots of options and viable combinations of several souls making them great healers able to customize builds for many different purposes and encounters.

As dps, which is my main love, they have just been lackluster for too large of a majority of the year and a few months that i have played.

In pvp, they are hopelessly underpowered as far as their utility goes as far as pvp(i.e. snares, roots, stuns, silences, healing debuffs, escape mechanisms etc) We just arent up to par with the other classes, and its old.

As far as dps goes, its really discouraging to carry 3-4 different dps specs to have a perfect role for every encounter, have bis gear, enchants, sigil, consumables, spec, rotation, and not have a chance at being remotely competitive in dps on almost all encounters.

I believe trion will not ever put clerics on equal footing with the other classes for dps in pvp or pve. I can see, realistically, that this would cause a problem with heals.

Its a shame, because I would love to continue on the cleric, but I am sick of not being competitive with the other classes in dps, overall.

Telaran

The patch notes show no changes for clerics at all in 1.9 (dps needs utility and damage buffs) and no nerfs to rogues or warriors. Hard to see how there won't be quite a bit of cleric abandonment as a result.

As an experienced dps cleric, can I ask you a newb question? How do you deal with strafe? it isnt purgeable, and it isn't survivable either at least in the 39 bracket. Since it is compatible with stealth wth do you do?

Plane Touched

I picked cleric as my class when rift first started. Everything you have stated in your post is exactly the way I feel, and to be quite honest I feel sorta ripped off by trion. I thought Rift was going to allow characters the ability to change roles when needed to match certain battle scenarios, and being a cleric I wanted to have a role that resembled a paladin (since I like healing myself and melee damage). My utmost passion is DPS as well, and PVP of course... But there is nothing that resembles a paladin for cleric and the melee roles is complete and utter useless in PVP for the reasons you stated above, we simply cannot compete with other classes and the only thing we can do great is healing... Healing gets old quick!!! Who the hell wants to heal their entire gaming life?

I think they should give other classes some type of healing role and give clerics a role that is actually viable and competitive to other classes. Give warriors a healing role, give rogues a better healing role and give mages a tanking spec.

I would change classes but I have put WAAAAAYYY too much time into this cleric already.. Its either keep playing this cleric or stop playing.
    Last edited by Rad1an7; 06-27-2012 at 07:27 AM.
    20 Mill Lifetime favor and climbing, 270k lifetime kills and climbing.. Owning nubs is a full time job.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by stefe View Post
    As dps, which is my main love, they have just been lackluster for too large of a majority of the year and a few months that i have played.
    Obviously when Trion designed the classes they had one tank (Warrior), one rdps (Mage), one healer (Cleric) and one melee (Rogue) but then gave each of those something else to do as well. As far as I can see if you are in to raiding top tier content with a guild who will kick you for not being the top spec FotM then that is a shame, but most of the crying on the forums is way too over the top. No other class has all four roles covered. If you wanted a dps class then I do wonder why you picked an obviously strong healer class in the first place rather than a rogue or mage??

I'm tired of seeing posts like this as if this is supposed to make Trion go "oh you know what we didn't think anyone was serious in the 3000000 posts about this before..we better change it". They are clearly worried about OP issues in PvP giving more dps with a class that has so many heals available, and to fix it would involve an entire reworking of the class, hardly something that's going to be done for a patch is it when there's an major expansion on the horizon??

It might not be what you want to hear but if you have your heart set on topping dps numbers rather than just having fun then perhaps it really IS time to switch classes!

Ascendant

Based on the warfronts I experience 99% of the time, you should be healing and not running some gimp Shamicar spec with Mien of Leadership.

Hey, maybe you're not one of those types, but if you're a good player you'll man up and heal.

Reroll rogue.

I forgot how OP MM was until I was using mine this week. I'm not even good on him and was kicking ***.

And you can still try out lolololsab and the NB/RS

Champion of Telara

Well if you want to have options and still be able to DPS then I say go Rogue too. If I could switch my PA over to my Rogue I would have left my cleric months ago.
    I kill more players than anyone! Just ask the last raid that asked me to heal!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    I wanted to come out and say the following pretty definitively: There is no goal to make DPS clerics that DPS do less damage than other callings.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Ahov View Post
    Based on the warfronts I experience 99% of the time, you should be healing and not running some gimp Shamicar spec with Mien of Leadership.

Hey, maybe you're not one of those types, but if you're a good player you'll man up and heal.
    Yah man up! To play something you like, play something someone else tells you to play. Those 4 DPS souls in the cleric tree are only for show man, really a cleric only has 3 healing souls to choose from. What were you thinking!!!

An other post brought to you by Ahov!

De Niel is not just a river ;)
    I kill more players than anyone! Just ask the last raid that asked me to heal!!!!!

I wanted to come out and say the following pretty definitively: There is no goal to make DPS clerics that DPS do less damage than other callings.

Telaran

[...]but if you're a good player you'll man up and heal.
    and with 'man up' I mean 'become everyones [Edit]'
    Last edited by Thorne25; 06-27-2012 at 12:55 PM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Magrothen View Post
    Obviously when Trion designed the classes they had one tank (Warrior), one rdps (Mage), one healer (Cleric) and one melee (Rogue) but then gave each of those something else to do as well. As far as I can see if you are in to raiding top tier content with a guild who will kick you for not being the top spec FotM then that is a shame, but most of the crying on the forums is way too over the top. No other class has all four roles covered. If you wanted a dps class then I do wonder why you picked an obviously strong healer class in the first place rather than a rogue or mage??

I'm tired of seeing posts like this as if this is supposed to make Trion go "oh you know what we didn't think anyone was serious in the 3000000 posts about this before..we better change it". They are clearly worried about OP issues in PvP giving more dps with a class that has so many heals available, and to fix it would involve an entire reworking of the class, hardly something that's going to be done for a patch is it when there's an major expansion on the horizon??

It might not be what you want to hear but if you have your heart set on topping dps numbers rather than just having fun then perhaps it really IS time to switch classes!
    Seriously? Top raids are all about maxing the output from everyone, so you end up with max 1 cleric healer "just for their bubblez". In my guild chloro is MT healing, nother is raid healing, 2 chloros give a nice dps boost with wild grows and they can dps, which adds up to the total of a raid. Who in the world would need 3 pure cleric healers if you can max that out for 1 cleric and 2 chloros with more benefits?
    Now to your other point - if clerics can only enjoy the end game as healers, the design of a game is broken. I personally rolled a healer and has been and still am healing. I do occasional dps/hybrid when needed to meet dps check.
    For someone's sake, is asking to add some dps boost to a class that is clearly lacking it too much????

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by fitness View Post
    For someone's sake, is asking to add some dps boost to a class that is clearly lacking it too much????
    To some clerics who post here often, yes it is asking too much. Now man-up and heal!

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Ivengar View Post
    To some clerics who post here often, yes it is asking too much. Now man-up and heal!
    Goes in the corner and starts to uninstall rift....

Soulwalker

reroll to warrior, there is no hope for cleric beeing able to do anything else than heal in raid or pvp at a competetive level anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad1an7 View Post
    I picked cleric as my class when rift first started. Everything you have stated in your post is exactly the way I feel, and to be quite honest I feel sorta ripped off by trion. I thought Rift was going to allow characters the ability to change roles when needed to match certain battle scenarios, and being a cleric I wanted to have a role that resembled a paladin (since I like healing myself and melee damage). My utmost passion is DPS as well, and PVP of course... But there is nothing that resembles a paladin for cleric and the melee roles is complete and utter useless in PVP for the reasons you stated above, we simply cannot compete with other classes and the only thing we can do great is healing... Healing gets old quick!!! Who the hell wants to heal their entire gaming life?

I think they should give other classes some type of healing role and give clerics a role that is actually viable and competitive to other classes. Give warriors a healing role, give rogues a better healing role and give mages a tanking spec.

I would change classes but I have put WAAAAAYYY too much time into this cleric already.. Its either keep playing this cleric or stop playing.
    Shaman/justicar is the best fit I have found for the canonical "paladin" role, better than the warrior's soul of the same name. But as you said, it does not have the utility to make it viable in PvP as a melee build.

Plane Walker

Man I want to heal I really do. But knowing my heals hit for one thing in pve and way less in pvp. I honestly cant bring myself to do it. They dont ask warriors and rogues to take their weapons off for pvp. *shrug*

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast