+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Clerics who stop casting

Ascendant

Default Clerics who stop casting

I notice this quite a bit when leveling my alts; I find a cleric healer who casts a tank heal such as Restorative Flame or Healing Invocation, then they wait 2-3 seconds before casting again. Tank has a high chance for death, group taking dmg, the cleric is still slow at healing.

This is clearly not how you're supposed to do it, and even when I was leveling my cleric it seemed like a no-brainer to always be doing something.

I'm just curious as to where this playstyle comes from, because it seems too widespread to just be poor gameplay.

It came from games like WoW where there were periods in the various expansions where mana was an excruciatingly tight resource to manage. You'd start up a cast for a big heal and cancel it if the tank hadn't taken any damage. The cast times were shorter, so there wasn't as much of a penalty for being a little behind when damage went out.
    4/4 FT 5/5 EE 4/4 GA 3/3 IG
    All HMs Cleared, FT & EE Conq

**If you were a priest. I'm not sure how the mana management went for Paladins/Druids/Shaman. But as a priest in WoW, cancel-casting was commonplace.

I actually over-heal. I do it because my first healing toon through any game ever was a chloro in Rift. If I wasn't casting, I wasn't really healing. (Yeah, yeah, Spores...) but I am constantly doing something as a cleric healer... I'm glad I didn't play a Priest in WoW.

Farewell, Rift! Perhaps we'll meet again.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Plastique View Post
    I actually over-heal. I do it because my first healing toon through any game ever was a chloro in Rift. If I wasn't casting, I wasn't really healing. (Yeah, yeah, Spores...) but I am constantly doing something as a cleric healer... I'm glad I didn't play a Priest in WoW.
    Early WoW healing to me was the best. It actually took a bit of thought before all the addons came out. If you were a good priest you used multiple ranks of spells based on the damage taken and would jump to stop casting if another healer got a heal in sooner. Mana was such a tight resource that you would have to have healer rotations so some could sit out and regen. Healing as a cleric in Rift is pretty dull in comparison, but means I don't have to always stare at health bars and can see some of the scenery.

Interesting. I never stop casting, In fact I thought this thread was about stopcasting macros so you could cleanse etc...

Managing mana is an issue that irritates me though. Am driven mad by the same ppl always asking asking for mana all the time. Anyway. OT much?

I may be drunk.

Soulwalker

Only time I stop doing anything is when I'm warden in experts. I put my hot's on the tank and just jump and run around like an ADHD child. During raids I keep my mind on keeping hot's on the tanks and support in raid healing (that's if I even get to heal as warden during a raid)

Quote Originally Posted by Merridwyn View Post
    Interesting. I never stop casting, In fact I thought this thread was about stopcasting macros so you could cleanse etc...

Managing mana is an issue that irritates me though. Am driven mad by the same ppl always asking asking for mana all the time. Anyway. OT much?

I may be drunk.
    The only time I have issues about Mana is when I heal on my Cleric, solved by intermittent potion use (which I hate doing, btw, something about needing to use an item bothers me). Any other calling doing any other role, zero mana problems -- it's actually a non-issue on my Mage, and allows me to focus on the battle tactics, not "Oh dear, I just didn't have enough mana to make us survive this".

I'll only stop casting on my Cleric if there's no damage going on. Even then, I wait until the tank is at or below 70% health before sending off a big heal. Depending on how the damage is going out, I might wait even longer if it means I can save some DPS from bad AE damage and then return to the Tank. Cleric AE Heals are brutal on the mana pool, so I try to conserve them (0pt Warden, Healing Spray all the things!)
    The best class for my mana and generally everyone's health, I've found, is the Purifier (snore, Warden HOTs... sleepy gameplay right there). No need to heal it if they never feel it.
    Last edited by Morvick; 06-18-2012 at 06:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Morvick View Post
    The only time I have issues about Mana is when I heal on my Cleric, solved by intermittent potion use (which I hate doing, btw, something about needing to use an item bothers me). Any other calling doing any other role, zero mana problems -- it's actually a non-issue on my Mage, and allows me to focus on the battle tactics, not "Oh dear, I just didn't have enough mana to make us survive this".

I'll only stop casting on my Cleric if there's no damage going on. Even then, I wait until the tank is at or below 70% health before sending off a big heal. Depending on how the damage is going out, I might wait even longer if it means I can save some DPS from bad AE damage and then return to the Tank. Cleric AE Heals are brutal on the mana pool, so I try to conserve them (0pt Warden, Healing Spray all the things!)
    The best class for my mana and generally everyone's health, I've found, is the Purifier (snore, Warden HOTs... sleepy gameplay right there). No need to heal it if they never feel it.
    If you're finding yourself doing nothing as a healer it means you're overhealing. Switch over to cabicar for 5-mans and you'll always be DPSing/healing.

Plane Touched

Why waste time casting when you dont have to heal, huurrduuuurrr

Ascendant

As 51 Puri you NEED to always be doing something. Healing Flame adds a shield. this needs to be used 90% of the time non stop. The other 10% are shields and conflaguration. nothing else is needed.

This looks like a player who has come from WoW. It seems that healing nowadays there is not required constantly, meaning you can stop casting every now and then. This happens especially a lot with Holy Paladins:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2GRiRthWDM
    In this link you can see how he clearly does nothing, just standing there and looking pretty most of the time. ****ing clicker ._,
    AMD Phenom II T1100 Black Edition 4.2 GHz 2x Asus GTX 460 DirectCu OCd with custom fans. Corsair DOMINATOR 6 GB DDR3 RAM 1666 MHZ C8.

**If you were a priest. I'm not sure how the mana management went for Paladins/Druids/Shaman. But as a priest in WoW, cancel-casting was commonplace
    Shamans have to manage their mana at lower levels until they get the various cost reductions and regeneration abilities. Paladins on the other hand, I have found are overall light/medium on mana usage regardless of level. On top, with all the heirlooms so many people put on their pre-endgame characters in WoW these days, more often than not the group's healer ends up spending a fair amount of time just sitting there, or if you're like me, DPSing . At least, that's what I found on my Shaman - it got to the point where I was running Elemental and using base heals in dungeons because people typically (me included) were decked in heirlooms and I simply didn't need to run full heals.

It does change in endgame raiding though, since any decent raid guild runs the minimum number of healers possible, so they need to be on their toes!
    Last edited by Lalothen; 06-19-2012 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lalothen View Post
    Shamans have to manage their mana at lower levels until they get the various cost reductions and regeneration abilities. Paladins on the other hand, I have found are overall light/medium on mana usage regardless of level. On top, with all the heirlooms so many people put on their pre-endgame characters in WoW these days, more often than not the group's healer ends up spending a fair amount of time just sitting there, or if you're like me, DPSing . At least, that's what I found on my Shaman - it got to the point where I was running Elemental and using base heals in dungeons because people typically (me included) were decked in heirlooms and I simply didn't need to run full heals.

It does change in endgame raiding though, since any decent raid guild runs the minimum number of healers possible, so they need to be on their toes!
    I was talking about playstyles early in expacs and early on in the game for that matter for end-game players. (If any of you had the displeasure of playing early on in Cataclysm, you know all about the woes of mana management.)

Some people may have remembered that playstyle and carried it into Rift while not knowing how healing typically works here.

Quote Originally Posted by Haptiic View Post
    Why waste time casting when you dont have to heal, huurrduuuurrr
    Shielding.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast