+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Cleric tanking question

  1. #1
    Rift Disciple FaunaShaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    149

    Default Cleric tanking question

    Kind of a curious question. If i am trying to pull a boss and a healer or dps is a little jumpy and pulls initial threat, what should i do FIRST to pull the boss back? I've tried DOL, and casting my range spells as he runs by, but i feel like its a pain to repull the boss back. Usually get him back after the person who got threat dies.


    51 justicar spec. Any tips would be much appreciated!

  2. #2
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,744

    Default

    Provoke (ST taunt) then unload some DoL's and you should be fine.

  3. #3
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Use your taunt....

  4. #4
    Soulwalker Isildor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    22

    Default

    I'm 51 just/3 sham/12 sent so in that situation I would Taunt-->instant ranged (BoR)-->instant ranged (Life's Vengeance) until I was in melee ranged just so that I ensured I was good after the 3sec forced attack from taunt and it also builds up my convictions to start my DoLs or Precept when I get to boss.

    In starting the fight I'll usually start with Light bolt->run towards boss while casting BoR->Life's Vengeance->then melee.

  5. #5
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,744

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Isildor View Post
    I'm 51 just/3 sham/12 sent so in that situation I would Taunt-->instant ranged (BoR)-->instant ranged (Life's Vengeance) until I was in melee ranged just so that I ensured I was good after the 3sec forced attack from taunt and it also builds up my convictions to start my DoLs or Precept when I get to boss.

    In starting the fight I'll usually start with Light bolt->run towards boss while casting BoR->Life's Vengeance->then melee.
    Thank you for not saying you use taunt in your opening rotation, it is mind boggling how many pug tanks think using taunts as an opener is a good idea.

  6. #6
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    143

    Default

    After a bit of playing around my favourite opening is....

    Sanction Heretic, followed by a ST taunt and the DoLs that this builds adding PoR as you contact the boss.

    Sure it's questionable to taunt second up, however it's the over all picture of the threat I look at.

    SH gains on average 3 convictions from one cast, which in DoL terms is 2 DoLs and a PoR from one cast, maybe even a DoA....

    However, some times SH due to damage decreases isn't worth a lot of opening Argo.

    So the taunt after it settles the ship until the SH dot, two DoLs and a PoR has Argo sitting on you.

    Sure, there are some times where this isn't the best plan. However it's a strong concept a lot of the time.

  7. #7
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JusticarToki View Post
    After a bit of playing around my favourite opening is....

    Sanction Heretic, followed by a ST taunt and the DoLs that this builds adding PoR as you contact the boss.

    Sure it's questionable to taunt second up, however it's the over all picture of the threat I look at.

    SH gains on average 3 convictions from one cast, which in DoL terms is 2 DoLs and a PoR from one cast, maybe even a DoA....

    However, some times SH due to damage decreases isn't worth a lot of opening Argo.

    So the taunt after it settles the ship until the SH dot, two DoLs and a PoR has Argo sitting on you.

    Sure, there are some times where this isn't the best plan. However it's a strong concept a lot of the time.
    Why not just SH->DoL->PoR instead and save your taunt in case someone does something stupid? The taunt doesn't really help here other than the force attack for 3 seconds, but if you are already on the top of the chart they are attacking you anyway.

    Plus, if DPS are jumpy, start telling them to learn to play . . . they need to be told how wrong they are or will continually be derps.

  8. #8
    Rift Disciple Thean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Doctrine of Authority...
    In a 5 man, DoL's threat is only at half strength, since there's only 5/10 people to be affected.
    Get a DoA off as soon as you are able, it will be your best chance of regaining threat.

    Do not use your ST taunt on pulls, it's there in case someone pulls aggro after you've got them.
    Ranged attack macro (I have Sovereignty at the top of mine) -> DoL as you run in -> DoA as soon as a mob is near you. If you don't have convictions, build with EJ then go for it.
    Last edited by Thean; 06-19-2012 at 08:00 AM.
    <Last Dawn> Cleric Tank
    Ex <New Chapter> GM/Raid Leader

    5/8 ID - Laethys P2
    11/11 HK (Conq.) - 4/4 RotP (Shard First Conq.)
    Cleric Tanking Summed Up In 3 Seconds

  9. #9
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluelightt View Post
    Thank you for not saying you use taunt in your opening rotation, it is mind boggling how many pug tanks think using taunts as an opener is a good idea.
    I didn't say use it to open with. I said when you done have agro on a mob and cant get it back with dol use your taunt, not like that is common sense or anything.

  10. #10
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FaunaShaman View Post
    Kind of a curious question. If i am trying to pull a boss and a healer or dps is a little jumpy and pulls initial threat, what should i do FIRST to pull the boss back? I've tried DOL, and casting my range spells as he runs by, but i feel like its a pain to repull the boss back. Usually get him back after the person who got threat dies.


    51 justicar spec. Any tips would be much appreciated!
    As others have said taunting is your best option. At its core, though, this issue has grown lately. DOL will work to get them back, even in 5 mans, but with the addition of ID marks in Experts, the amount of geared people running experts is up dramatically. If you have lower gear, even after taunting you could have trouble holding agro. It used to be having 3 rogues in an expert was tough and now 3 warriors who all pop cornered beast right after the pull can be a nightmare if you are a low geared tank.

    I personally pull with BoR -> DoL -> Soveignty on a boss and BoR -> DoL -> EJ on a mob pull then start spamming my macro's and use other abilities as needed. I also run 44 Just / 22 Druid in experts also and I very rarely have trouble holding threat, unless I am the only one not in full relic or ID gear.

  11. #11
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,744

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haptiic View Post
    I didn't say use it to open with. I said when you done have agro on a mob and cant get it back with dol use your taunt, not like that is common sense or anything.
    I know, I was just stating a common case I have seen. If you notice right above your comment I said essentially the same thing.

  12. #12
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluelightt View Post
    I know, I was just stating a common case I have seen. If you notice right above your comment I said essentially the same thing.
    Oh I thought you had misread what I had said and were calling me out or something. But yea why us your taunt when either BoR or SH will do the same thing as well as give you at least 1 conviction for DoL. I'm not even a good tank(hell I'm not even any tank anymore due to a lack of roles) and I know this.

  13. #13
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sariina View Post
    Why not just SH->DoL->PoR instead and save your taunt in case someone does something stupid? The taunt doesn't really help here other than the force attack for 3 seconds, but if you are already on the top of the chart they are attacking you anyway.

    Plus, if DPS are jumpy, start telling them to learn to play . . . they need to be told how wrong they are or will continually be derps.
    This opening will over come cornered beast.

    Eh, you don't have to use it, however it works.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts