+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New to Cleric...looking for healer advice

Default New to Cleric...looking for healer advice

I am moving from WoW to Rift, and while not totally new to the world of Telara, this will be my first attempt at a healer. Right now I am questing in the pre-made Inq dps build, but I am trying to make a healing spec for dungeons as I love healing in groups.

In WoW I have healed as all healing specs, but Holy Priest and Resto Druid where the two that I enjoyed the most. I am given to understand that Warden is the equivalent of Resto and Sentinel is the equivalent of HPriest, but the part that confuses me is the secondary and tertiary souls.

I have tried looking thru the guides and was unable to find one that does not involve Justicar in some way. As I suffer from tunnel vision, trying to heal as a function of dps would be an unmitigated disaster for me.

So my questions are, do Warden and Sentinel pair well?
    If not what souls pair well with these as my primary souls (don't need full spec, just call out the soul pairing or a guide would be fine)?
    i treasure the moments of my life I'll never get back doing other people's work for them \m/(0.o)\m/

Plane Touched

Warden and Sent synergize perfectly well, and is a commonly used build. It provides good ST healing, good group healing, a nice mana pool and is barely affected by movements.

You need to aim for Serenpidity, Healing Invocation and the passives in sentinel tree, while Warden will gives you HoTs.

Other builds not involving justicar are :
    - Puri/Sent : same as Ward/Sent, additional shielding and more "oh **** buttons", but more sensible to movement and less group healing effective
    - Full Warden : good ST and group healing, good mobility.
    - Full Puri : excellent shielding, good ST healing, very poor group healing and mobility.
    - Full Senti : excellent ST healing, good group healing, not so bad mobility.

Ward/Puri is not really common and I've never tried it ^^
    Last edited by kode9; 06-12-2012 at 06:37 AM.

Ascendant

Sent/Warden IMO is probably the best overall 5 man spec you can run.

Justicar features prominently in PvE healing, so that's why you'll see a lot of guides for it. You're not doing DPS to heal in most icar specs, you're pressing your "heal point" macro to build heal points (Convictions) for good, cheap group heals. The low DPS that macro does is a bonus for your raid.

For PvP it's important to know that Warden HoTs have been severely nerfed in PvP effectiveness. I recommend a foundation of 28 points in Sentinel and then the remaining points are up to you. I personally run 39 Sent/27 Warden in PvP.

Majn
    Be healed and be well.

Plane Walker

Purifier healing playstyle is very close to Discipline priest playstyle minus the atonement healing.

Sentinel healing is very loosely similar to the Holy Priest healing style.

I can't really explain how Doctrine of Loyalty healing, but essentially you are using your Life based damaging abilities to build things called Convictions, which are then consumed by certain abilities (these abilities are otherwise unusable if you do not have Convictions). Doctrine of Loyalty is one such ability and it happens to be a VERY strong smart target AOE heal.
    Akx - Blackout@Deepwood
    http://riftblackout.com

Thanks all for the advice.

I'll probably play Sent/Pur mix since that would closely resemble a HPriest healer which was always my favorite. However some interesting things on the Justicar, I might have to give it a shot.

I know there are lots of guides for Justicar builds, which is recommended to be used while leveling?
    Do you get a heal that is not dependent on Convictions in case of a oh poop moment?
    i treasure the moments of my life I'll never get back doing other people's work for them \m/(0.o)\m/

Plane Walker

Shamicar works well for lower levels, I personally levelled almost exclusively with Inquisicar, AOE pull mobs with Vex (90% of damage is healing), AOE mobs with Soul Drain --> Cast Circle of Oblivion, Rinse and repeat.

Of course that only works when you're high enough level to have those abilities (hence some people recommend shamicar)
    Last edited by Ak1230; 06-12-2012 at 08:43 AM.
    Akx - Blackout@Deepwood
    http://riftblackout.com

Plane Walker

Hey AK, shamicar is fun

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Ordika View Post
    Thanks all for the advice.

I'll probably play Sent/Pur mix since that would closely resemble a HPriest healer which was always my favorite. However some interesting things on the Justicar, I might have to give it a shot.

I know there are lots of guides for Justicar builds, which is recommended to be used while leveling?
    Do you get a heal that is not dependent on Convictions in case of a oh poop moment?
    You'll need a minimum of 12 in Justicar (to get DoL, MoH and Purpose) and 28 or 32 in Sentinel. After that you have plenty of choices (deeper justicar, warden, inquisitor).

And you do have heals outside convictions provided by sentinel.
    Last edited by kode9; 06-12-2012 at 09:01 AM.

dbe
    General of Telara

I played a priest in WoW too, I've been healing 5-mans with a pur/sent spec, 33/33 I think, and it works well, but to be honest I can't remember what I used while leveling. I know I've tried them all at some point.

One thing to note, some of the spell "types" overlap in multiple trees. For example sentinel can spec for healing invocation, a 3 second heal, but purifier has restorative flame, which is also a 3 second heal, for free. Keep this in mind when you're planning where to put points.

I levelled with a purisent - end build 34/32 respectively - and loved it. You can find various levelling builds on rift zam.

To queue as a healer you'll need at least a third of your available points in a healing soul, but whether you actually use that build is up to you. I'm not sure how well icar builds work at lower levels - I do remember solo healing dungeons in Duracell (after the healer died), but it wasn't a strong build like Senticar, Cabicar or Inquisicar, and I probably just got lucky. TBH I would have to wonder at how well these builds would work with lower gear levels and or lower geared tanks. Remember most forum posters are in pretty decent raiding guilds and thus are very nicely geared.

Sent/Ward definitely sounds as if it would suit you, and it's a great spec for 5 man content. Personally I don't like it (it's a me v HoT thing - not a comment on the spec). I can't sing the praises of Purisent enough, certainly worth trying out, and if you do progress to endgame it will be a lot more useful to you than sent/ward (IMO).

I hope you enjoy Rift as much as I do and find some specs that fit your play style.

M

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by dbe View Post
    I played a priest in WoW too, I've been healing 5-mans with a pur/sent spec, 33/33 I think, and it works well, but to be honest I can't remember what I used while leveling. I know I've tried them all at some point.

One thing to note, some of the spell "types" overlap in multiple trees. For example sentinel can spec for healing invocation, a 3 second heal, but purifier has restorative flame, which is also a 3 second heal, for free. Keep this in mind when you're planning where to put points.
    I've healed all Experts with 51 Puri/15 Warden. Some fights are tough, like Abyssal Precipice final fight due to all the simultaneous damage that tends to happen. I occasionally lose people on this fight, especially if the DPS aren't good at rotating around and no one is providing any support healing. Most fights are facerollable though -- just stand still and throw a shield out every once in a while.

If you're going to play 51 Puri though in fights that don't let you stand still, you're going to need the Ancestral Soulstone greater. Otherwise your Wards just don't have enough strength.

Like I've said before though, I think 51 anything will suffice for Experts. Try 51 in each (Warden, Sentinel, Purifier), and then mix and match as you desire once you understand how each Soul operates at 51.
    Arch General Velkhar, P50 Cleric
    PvP Healing: Purifier, AoE Healer, Senticar, Ward/Sent
    PvP Open World: Duracell-esque

Pur/sent 34/32 is great for tank healing in raids where you have other healers handling raid damage.
    In 5man dungeons, you'll be expected to do all the healing and it can get rough for pur/sent if there's alot of frequent raid damage.

For situations where you're expected to be both tank and group heals, I highly recommend senticar.
    There's a number of excellent guides out there. My own build with macros and rotation can be found here.
    Last edited by actionvapor; 06-14-2012 at 05:32 PM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Ordika View Post
    I am moving from WoW to Rift, and while not totally new to the world of Telara, this will be my first attempt at a healer. Right now I am questing in the pre-made Inq dps build, but I am trying to make a healing spec for dungeons as I love healing in groups.

In WoW I have healed as all healing specs, but Holy Priest and Resto Druid where the two that I enjoyed the most. I am given to understand that Warden is the equivalent of Resto and Sentinel is the equivalent of HPriest, but the part that confuses me is the secondary and tertiary souls.

I have tried looking thru the guides and was unable to find one that does not involve Justicar in some way. As I suffer from tunnel vision, trying to heal as a function of dps would be an unmitigated disaster for me.

So my questions are, do Warden and Sentinel pair well?
    If not what souls pair well with these as my primary souls (don't need full spec, just call out the soul pairing or a guide would be fine)?
    I suggest as a new player you get yourself 3 role slots and use the arbiter preset for 5 man dps the thunderer for lvling/grinding and the flame keeper for healing.

the arbiter is basicly the dps tree most use but w/ cabalist insted of warden. this is your general spec for any PVE content for dps in groups.

the thunderer is a spec based around survivablity and dpsing at the same time it's ok for early PVP and great for questing. i used a simmaler build while i was questing while lvling.

the flame keeper is the puri/sent build that alot have suggested. other than the debaitable placement of a few points this will show you where you should put your points as you get them.
    Kenneey
    4/4 TDQ 4/4 FT 4/5 EE 2/4GA

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Velkane View Post
    I've healed all Experts with 51 Puri/15 Warden. Some fights are tough, like Abyssal Precipice final fight due to all the simultaneous damage that tends to happen. I occasionally lose people on this fight, especially if the DPS aren't good at rotating around and no one is providing any support healing. Most fights are facerollable though -- just stand still and throw a shield out every once in a while.

If you're going to play 51 Puri though in fights that don't let you stand still, you're going to need the Ancestral Soulstone greater. Otherwise your Wards just don't have enough strength.

Like I've said before though, I think 51 anything will suffice for Experts. Try 51 in each (Warden, Sentinel, Purifier), and then mix and match as you desire once you understand how each Soul operates at 51.
    Why would you even run experts with a 51 puri seriously ? Unless you're some sort of masochist you should keep 51 puri for the few raid encounters you really need it. You have 6 roles

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast