+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cabalist Build?

Soulwalker

Default Cabalist Build?

I've been poking around the forums and I never see any builds based heavy on cabalist. I've just come backto Rift and am restarting my cleric (lvl24). I want to be ranged DPS and my build is mainly Inq right now, but it feels slow. The cabalist tree and attacks look interesting, so I was wondering if anyone out there had developed a viable build with it? or hae any opinions with that in general.

For levelling purposes, whilst "pure" Cabailsts are good at AOE grinding, they suffer from poor survivability and are slow to kill mobs compared with other builds, as they mainly use DOTs and aoe. If you are going to grind levels it is good if you spend some points in Puri or Sent for heals and shields to stay alive while killing large amounts of enemies. Most people use the "optimum" spec for levelling as quickly as possible which is why you wont see many cab levelling guides. I have a cab spec for end game raiding mainly to kill trash and top the dps charts before a boss

However they arent especially bad and if you enjoy playing them and dont mind a longer levelling time, go for it! If you are finding Inq slow maybe its due to gear or rotation but like most souls, the higher level you get the more options you have and your level 24 is maybe too low to benefit from the abilities that make killing quick.
    Last edited by Snichy; 06-12-2012 at 04:01 AM.
    You've got red on you.

Deep Cabalist builds are outstanding for AoE, but lack respectable single target damage. You could level using Cabalist as your main tree, though to be perfectly honest using a melee-based build involving Druid or Shaman would give you greater survivability and better ST damage, whilst still retaining respectable AoE damage. That said, you can easily work Cabalist into a levelling build that's both effective and quite fun at the same time.

Now, I may well get shot down in flames for this, because some people treat this game like a career and if you're not playing the top spec as defined by "the best of the best of the best" then you're apparently "doing it wrong!". However, you might want to give this spec a try - for levelling purposes anyway (perhaps beyond if you like it) - though it only goes to 20 pts in Cabalist, which may not be deep enough to match what you're looking for. Essentially it involves Inquisitor primary, Cabalist secondary, with enough points in Justicar to pick up the necessaries for converting a portion of your damage to healing.

35/20/11

Take a look at it and see what you think. I'm using it to level a second Cleric at the moment, and whilst it's not "solid" like a Druid or Shaman build, it's a fair bit less boring and surprisingly effective.

Plane Touched

You won't find a better ranged soul than Inquisitor to level up solo, sorry

If you wan't to give Cabalist a try though, you should probably put 10 points in Justicar for passive healing and 2 points in Inquisitor for Sanction Heretic. You can also try 5 points in Warden instead of Justicar, which will give you better damage and hots instead of passive healing.

The other solution is to choose a melee build if you're not happy with Inquisitor, that is Druid or Shaman. Again here it's a good thing to put 10 points in Justicar.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Lalothen View Post
    Deep Cabalist builds are outstanding for AoE, but lack respectable single target damage. You could level using Cabalist as your main tree, though to be perfectly honest using a melee-based build involving Druid or Shaman would give you greater survivability and better ST damage, whilst still retaining respectable AoE damage. That said, you can easily work Cabalist into a levelling build that's both effective and quite fun at the same time.

Now, I may well get shot down in flames for this, because some people treat this game like a career and if you're not playing the top spec as defined by "the best of the best of the best" then you're apparently "doing it wrong!". However, you might want to give this spec a try - for levelling purposes anyway (perhaps beyond if you like it) - though it only goes to 20 pts in Cabalist, which may not be deep enough to match what you're looking for. Essentially it involves Inquisitor primary, Cabalist secondary, with enough points in Justicar to pick up the necessaries for converting a portion of your damage to healing.

35/20/11

Take a look at it and see what you think. I'm using it to level a second Cleric at the moment, and whilst it's not "solid" like a Druid or Shaman build, it's a fair bit less boring and surprisingly effective.
    The problem with this build is that is a level 50 build. At low level it will be... an Inquisitor build ^^

Not necessarily. You can put it together however you like - the only thing you really need early on is 8pts in Justicar to pick up the passive healing (perhaps even all 11 for MoH, though it's not that necessary). Beyond that I'd get 5 pts in Inq for 1.5s BoJ and access to SH, but then you can happily fill out the 20 pts in Cab.

At lvl 24 he could do 19 Cab/8 Justi/5 Inq. Yes, it would take quite a while to get MoA that way, but if he wanted to he could go 20 Cab/7 Justi/5 Inq at lvl 24, then put a pt in Cab in Curse of Solituda at lvl 25 to pick up MoA, and then respec - or not as 34 Inq/21 Cab instead of 35/20 won't break the build - later on once he has the pts to pick up MoA from Inq whilst maintaining 20 Cab and at least 8 Justi.
    Last edited by Lalothen; 06-12-2012 at 04:29 AM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Lalothen View Post
    Not necessarily. You can put it together however you like - the only thing you really need early on is 8pts in Justicar to pick up the passive healing (perhaps even all 11 for MoH, though it's not that necessary). Beyond that I'd get 5 pts in Inq for 1.5s BoJ and access to SH, but then you can happily fill out the 20 pts in Cab.

At lvl 24 he could do 19 Cab/8 Justi/5 Inq. Yes, it would take quite a while to get MoA that way, but if he wanted to he could go 20 Cab/7 Justi/5 Inq at lvl 24, then put a pt in Cab in Curse of Solituda at lvl 25 to pick up MoA, and then respec - or not as 34 Inq/21 Cab instead of 35/20 won't break the build - later on once he has the pts to pick up MoA from Inq whilst maintaining 20 Cab and at least 8 Justi.
    Really depends on what he is looking for (solo mobs 1 by 1, solo grind multiple mobs, etc). For your suggestion think armor of devotion is a nice boost for only 1 point and I would put 10 points in Justicar otherwise the healing will be very low and sentinel or warden would provide better tools.
    Last edited by kode9; 06-12-2012 at 04:42 AM.

Soulwalker

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll play with these and see exactly how much slower my single target is. No matter how much I want to grind multiple mobs, I know I'll spend a lot of time on single targets.

Ideally I'll be leveling with a friend so I'd like to be able to blow a lot up at once ;)

I could just be doing something wrong with the Inq rotation as well (I couldn't even tell you what it is, I know the icon pictures tho!). I'll do a little more research into that too.

Thanks again

+ Reply to Thread