+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Regret

Plane Touched

Default Regret

In my spare time I PVP. During this time I get flamed, quite often. The reason for this flaming would be because people in warfronts expect clerics to heal.

I picked cleric because its versability, and it has quite a bit of this... Some would argue it has the best versability. Majority of the time I am able to score high in DPS and KB's while playing on my rank 40 cleric. However, I am always harassed for not healing the other baddies who do not have "my" versability.

Regret, I should have picked mage so people would not expect me to heal. I only WISH that rift would give the other classes some kind of healing role so they would all shut up.

-End rant

Have a good day.
    Last edited by Rad1an7; 06-09-2012 at 05:43 PM.
    20 Mill Lifetime favor and climbing, 270k lifetime kills and climbing.. Owning nubs is a full time job.

Well, I agree.

Find a good casual guild that will accept what you want to play and not give you a hard time - that will go a long way.
    Sinister Savant is a no stress PvE & leveling guild on Hailol. Everyone is welcome, join us today!
    Recruiting Thread - Website

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Rad1an7 View Post
    Regret, I should have picked mage so people would not expect me to heal. I only WISH that rift would give the other classes some kind of healing role so they would all shut up.
    It's very much a catch22. I don't really know any Mage that really enjoys playing Archon and someone always has to play one at a raid. Also there are times where I just can't get anything done on my Mage because I can't tank.

Well try to assess the situation sometimes it's better for you to be healing if no one else is doing it. Yea i know that does suck if you had your heart set on dps. But you will have plenty of times to shine don't let haters get you down.

Plane Touched

Yea well thats the point. I started playing this game from the start of rift, right at launch. I figured rift would be one of those games where all the classes would be able to have some role that would contribute. I didn't realize warriors would strictly be a "DPS/TANK" class, or mages a "DPS/SUPPORT/HEAL"... Because no matter how they spin it, thats all warriors and mages do. I was truly wrong in this regard, I figured they would at least give all classes some kind of role that allowed them to do every aspect of the game but in different ways.

As a cleric, I am forced to forget about my DPS roles, or support roles (such as druid) and do nothing but a healing role because... no one wants to heal. Even when I do the most damage, the most KB's, I am still forced into a position to heal.

Obviously picked the wrong class, and I obviously didn't know how this game was going to turn out.
    20 Mill Lifetime favor and climbing, 270k lifetime kills and climbing.. Owning nubs is a full time job.

You're not forced to do anything. Ignore the haters and dps to your heart's content. If they want a healer, they can roll one.

Ascendant

If there is no other healer and you dont heal, you only harm yourself cause you will lose the warfront.

simple fact sorry ...

Quote Originally Posted by Antigonos View Post
    If there is no other healer and you dont heal, you only harm yourself cause you will lose the warfront.

simple fact sorry ...
    Not true...

I've been in LoTRM plenty a time and we win by always picking up the runes first then dying and doing it all over again! Thus we win by preventing the other team to score points.
    Capes
    Cloaks

Thoroar - Narcissia - Ricroar - Swimella
    I'm @Icewatch, /hug me!

Quote Originally Posted by Antigonos View Post

simple fact sorry ...
    how is that any different than a WF full of rogues and warriors? its just RNG, don't think in terms of classes, think in terms of roles.

if a WF pops with no healers then thats just how it is, its not his fault he's not a healer

It's you putting a team focus above your own that is the limitation "forcing" you to heal. Forget all that and do what you enjoy. If there are no healers, then so be it with no regrets.

I stopped healing in pvp because no one would protect me. Then I stopped pvp altogether because despite not protecting me, everyone wanted me to heal.

At the end of the day , I didn't enjoy it, so I didn't do it any more.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Hotter View Post
    It's you putting a team focus above your own that is the limitation "forcing" you to heal. Forget all that and do what you enjoy. If there are no healers, then so be it with no regrets.
    That's easier said than done if you are getting abuse in warfront chat because of your choice - which the OP states he is.

However...

I have a rule of thumb that says 'if you are low rank, you should play support' - this is true for all callings, not just cleric.

Low rank mages should be some version of Dom
    Low rank rogues should be some version of Bard
    Low rank warriors should be some version of VK
    Low rank clerics should be some version of healer.

The reason is that, at low rank (unless you are HK or above PvE geared) you just do not have the Spellpower or Attack Power to do sufficient DPS to kill someone efficiently. You are far better advised rolling with some sort of spec that allows those people on your side who *are* high rank to kill the other side faster.

Now, this will probably change with 1.9, when the R6 set becomes the starter set and everyone is bolstered until r36 - but until then, unless you are a high rank cleric, then you should probably heal.

If you are high rank, however, then by all means go DPS: there are some r40 clerics I've seen who do *mad* damage - both total damage *and* KBs.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Redcruxs View Post
    how is that any different than a WF full of rogues and warriors? its just RNG, don't think in terms of classes, think in terms of roles.

if a WF pops with no healers then thats just how it is, its not his fault he's not a healer
    the difference is: A warrior cant heal. Simple ...

I havent said flaming him is right, i said if there is no other healer and he doesnt switch to a healing role, he only hurts himself, cause his team will lose because of him not switching.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Merridwyn View Post
    I stopped healing in pvp because no one would protect me. Then I stopped pvp altogether because despite not protecting me, everyone wanted me to heal.

At the end of the day , I didn't enjoy it, so I didn't do it any more.
    Good positioning is the best protection you can get. If the other team has you marked and wants you dead, there is not much your team will be able to do to keep you alive except try to run interference as best they can. Even that is asking a lot in pugs, where you are unlikely to be marked as a friendly healer and unlikely to be recognized as such.

Learn your range and how best to keep yourself out of the fray while still being useful, and make sure you are able to switch to self healing rapidly (/cast @self if necessary).

Nothing will save you from the warrior with Riftstorm.

Have fun.

Edit: Relevant Q - what is your healing spec?
    Last edited by Nefelia; 06-11-2012 at 05:46 AM.

I rarely heal as Cleric and I have never had anyone "flame" expecting me to heal. Different people, different experiences.
    You've got red on you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast