+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Different Builds

Soulwalker

Default Different Builds

I know jolt'n'bolt is top dps build for clerics, but what are close seconds?

Shadowlander

There is no 'close' second, but you could always run 51 inq if you feel the need to.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowrhino View Post
    I know jolt'n'bolt is top dps build for clerics, but what are close seconds?
    Keep in mind while it may be the highest parsing dps build.. its not viable on the vast majority of fights in game since it requires melee, doesn't parse as well on heavy movement fights, and doesn't have much with regards to quality AoE dps.

Your best bet is always the 51 Inquisitor, 10 Sent, 5 cab build for pure flexibility and strong dps.. both ST and AoE.

Ascendant

If you look at the "good druid build" thread there's one option there from haptic.

I do over 3k single target DPS with that build, there's nothing wrong with it. There's also 51 shaman you can play around with, but the Druid offers the flexibility to help with heals if a healer dies or buff if the bard dies or on phases where you can't melee. It will do more than 51 Inquisitor, I have pretty good gear and that Druid build almost always beats it single target. The AOE is actually not terrible either compared to Inquisitor if you're allowed to get close and work it.
    Last edited by Malark; 06-09-2012 at 02:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malark View Post
    If you look at the "good druid build" thread there's one option there from haptic.

I do over 3k single target DPS with that build, there's nothing wrong with it. There's also 51 shaman you can play around with, but the Druid offers the flexibility to help with heals if a healer dies or buff if the bard dies or on phases where you can't melee. It will do more than 51 Inquisitor, I have pretty good gear and that Druid build almost always beats it single target. The AOE is actually not terrible either compared to Inquisitor if you're allowed to get close and work it.
    ????.

1: druid is worse then 51 inq in terms of helping with heals since the primary 51 inq build has HB and HG which are more effective then what the druid provides (unless the druid is using a fairy which as a dps druid your rarely doing).

2: If the bard dies maybe its some help but realistically the bard shouldn't be dying and there are other classes with the same capabilities to cover some of the archon and/or bard debuffs. Plus.. the 51 brings CS to the table which is a stand alone strong debuff.

3:The 51 inq parses higher... has the flexibility of standing in melee OR range... has much stronger dps which includes applying CS on all targets being aoe'd (usually), and doesn't suffer from a massive loss of dps like the druid can should the pet die or fail in its positioning.

If you want to druid dps... hell im not going to stop you.. and i know some folks want to melee dps... but its not even remotely close to the 51 inq in what it can do on all fronts.

The OP is looking for build options.. so yes the 51 druid and 51 shaman are options.. but i wouldnt put them in the top couple dps specs which was what he was looking for primarily.
    Last edited by No_Exit; 06-09-2012 at 08:09 AM.

Prophet of Telara

only 51inq, and its "strong" dps equals 400+ dps under any other equality skilled and geared player/class. (and goes up to 1k)
    Last edited by Alex113; 06-09-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by No_Exit View Post
    ????.

1: druid is worse then 51 inq in terms of helping with heals since the primary 51 inq build has HB and HG which are more effective then what the druid provides (unless the druid is using a fairy which as a dps druid your rarely doing).

2: If the bard dies maybe its some help but realistically the bard shouldn't be dying and there are other classes with the same capabilities to cover some of the archon and/or bard debuffs. Plus.. the 51 brings CS to the table which is a stand alone strong debuff.

3:The 51 inq parses higher... has the flexibility of standing in melee OR range... has much stronger dps which includes applying CS on all targets being aoe'd (usually), and doesn't suffer from a massive loss of dps like the druid can should the pet die or fail in its positioning.

If you want to druid dps... hell im not going to stop you.. and i know some folks want to melee dps... but its not even remotely close to the 51 inq in what it can do on all fronts.

The OP is looking for build options.. so yes the 51 druid and 51 shaman are options.. but i wouldnt put them in the top couple dps specs which was what he was looking for primarily.
    1. If a healer dies, say on akyilios, you can pull out the faerie and it will do a decent job. I can still do around 1.8K dps with the faerie out and her attack clicked off (on melee friendly fights).

2. Sure, it's just one point.

3. I put it to you that this is false. Even with good gear that 13 shaman/2 Inquisitor build parses higher on any fight that is melee friendly from what i've seen. It is not only close to 51 Inquisitor, it beats it most of the time and it allows you to be part of a melee pack if it's beneficial. e.g on akyilios you can be part of the melee ball and help absorb orbs, silence doesn't impact on a druid too heavily etc. I don't know what i'm doing but i've been on raids where I've gone Druid and another Cleric has gone Inq, similar gear and I was always 100-200+ dps infront of them.
    Last edited by Malark; 06-09-2012 at 03:14 PM.

Sword of Telara

With how melee-unfriendly ID is, Inq51 is all you need. I use Jolt n Bolt on Maklamos for the e-peen, but the dps requirement on that fight is so low you could have all your dps be inq51 and still not get close to enrage.
    <Destiny Raiders>@Icewatch
    4/4 5/5

Responses in red

1. If a healer dies, say on akyilios, you can pull out the faerie and it will do a decent job. I can still do around 1.8K dps with the faerie out and her attack clicked off (on melee friendly fights).
    That requires summoning the faerie mid fight... requires a large dps drop.... and still wont help the tank all that much more then a 51 inq if a healer actually goes down.

2. Sure, it's just one point.
    I accept the point...

3. I put it to you that this is false. Even with good gear that 13 shaman/2 Inquisitor build parses higher on any fight that is melee friendly from what i've seen. It is not only close to 51 Inquisitor, it beats it most of the time and it allows you to be part of a melee pack if it's beneficial. e.g on akyilios you can be part of the melee ball and help absorb orbs, silence doesn't impact on a druid too heavily etc. I don't know what i'm doing but i've been on raids where I've gone Druid and another Cleric has gone Inq, similar gear and I was always 100-200+ dps infront of them.
    Not sure why your parsing higher with druid then Inq. Ive found it to be just the opposite and in fact.. with decent RNG the shaman parses higher then druid. Being that its only melee.. the point still stands that its completely inflexible. Its never a good thing in a raid to sacrifice flexibility for dps when the dps increase is minimal to non existent. If another cleric has gone Inq and you parsed higher then them in druid... in my opinion.. and it is just an opinion.. that other cleric wasnt that great. Im not saying the druid is bad, but id never carry it or use it over a 51 inq.

Sword of Telara

Responses in red
    I fully agree with your response on point 2 and 3, but I feel you're missing point 1. A dead healer means that healing becomes a higher priority than dpsing. This is a case where things aren't going according to plan, and sacrifices must be made. To have a class in your raid that can pull competitive dps and can operate as back-up healer if a healer is to die, that's quite valuable.

Nonetheless, I still choose not to run with Druid in our cleric comps. What I wrote here is the only true advantage I can see in druid, and frankly, it's not enough for me.
    <Destiny Raiders>@Icewatch
    4/4 5/5

Quote Originally Posted by Jinjah View Post
    I fully agree with your response on point 2 and 3, but I feel you're missing point 1. A dead healer means that healing becomes a higher priority than dpsing. This is a case where things aren't going according to plan, and sacrifices must be made. To have a class in your raid that can pull competitive dps and can operate as back-up healer if a healer is to die, that's quite valuable.
    Believe me when i say i understand that dps becomes a lower priority then healing in that situation. However one must consider 2 things.

1: DPS checks. Most fights have them.. so if you have a druid having to drop dps to switch to heal mode because heals go down... there are bigger problems then the druid being able to switch.

2: A druid can not keep a tank up in a raid environment 99% of the time. They can provide support healing yes... but its really only viable as an assist aoe healer. Also.. the Faery is notorious for having issues healing outside its group so you would need to be in the tanks group to maximize what you can put out. That requires planning ahead for a healer going down and thats entering into questionable territory in raid planning.

Once again... im not saying a Druid isnt a viable build in some occasions, but those occasions are very rare and i still find it hard to believe some folks are parsing higher in high druid builds then in 51 inq. Ive not found that to be true in any PTS testing anytime remotely recently. Now that said.. i do realize that at lower gear levels... this could change due to the nature of the class and stat levels. Im testing in HK and above into ID gear.
    Last edited by No_Exit; 06-10-2012 at 11:35 AM.

Plane Touched

I parse about the same with 51inq and 51druid on Maklamos. Didn't really try on more melee friendly encounters, but from old self buff tests right after 1.8 I parsed higher with druid ^^
    Last edited by kode9; 06-11-2012 at 12:41 AM.

Ascendant

Believe me when i say i understand that dps becomes a lower priority then healing in that situation. However one must consider 2 things.

1: DPS checks. Most fights have them.. so if you have a druid having to drop dps to switch to heal mode because heals go down... there are bigger problems then the druid being able to switch.

2: A druid can not keep a tank up in a raid environment 99% of the time. They can provide support healing yes... but its really only viable as an assist aoe healer. Also.. the Faery is notorious for having issues healing outside its group so you would need to be in the tanks group to maximize what you can put out. That requires planning ahead for a healer going down and thats entering into questionable territory in raid planning.

Once again... im not saying a Druid isnt a viable build in some occasions, but those occasions are very rare and i still find it hard to believe some folks are parsing higher in high druid builds then in 51 inq. Ive not found that to be true in any PTS testing anytime remotely recently. Now that said.. i do realize that at lower gear levels... this could change due to the nature of the class and stat levels. Im testing in HK and above into ID gear.

It's fair enough and I agree that if you only have 1 role to dedicate to DPS that the classic 51 Inquisitor build is simply a must BUT to say that the Druid build highlighted isn't viable seems somewhat ... melodramatic.

I have 5 pieces of ID level gear and have filled out every possible boost to spellpower that can be gained from Planar Attunement, I don't really see a scaling issue between Inquisitor and Druid in casual observation. I am using a staff from Estrode too so I assume Druid DPS will actually rise further compared to Inquisitor if I was to get a Bane Of Maddess or something with more weapon DPS.

The faerie can be usefull I don't doubt, she can put down heals on a tank that are surprising. Also there are just some times that it works out. On Grugonim for instance, tower phase, perfect time to swich out to faerie for instance while all the chloros and senticars are derping because they have nothing to hit, the faerie is pumping out 800 crit hots while moving on the whole raid.
    Last edited by Malark; 06-11-2012 at 05:03 AM.

It's fair enough and I agree that if you only have 1 role to dedicate to DPS that the classic 51 Inquisitor build is simply a must BUT to say that the Druid build highlighted isn't viable seems somewhat ... melodramatic.
    I understand your points but we will have to agree to disagree on the strength of druid and it being viable most of the time. We are each entitled to our own opinions and both bring up valid points i think.

Believe me when i say im the first person who would love a melee cleric build to be truly viable, but theres a reason a build like the bolt'n'jolt while strong isnt the go to spec for dps for a majority of fights. Your right... if you only have 1 role to dedicate to DPS the 51 inq is really the only option simply because of the flexibility it brings to the table while still maintaining high dps. For most clerics... who's primary job is healing of some sort in raids.... carrying a variety of dps specs is usually not an option. Sadly our dps is far enough behind other classes that if a raid needs more dps.. the cleric is more likely getting switched out then switched to dps on dps check or progression fights.

I'm certainly not saying don't use druid. If someone wants to use it it can be a strong build and have its own perks. My points were simply that i wouldn't ever put it in the same category as the 51 inq when it came to talking about the best dps builds. That's my opinion.
    Last edited by No_Exit; 06-11-2012 at 07:32 AM.

+ Reply to Thread