+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Help me understand Senticar please.

Shadowlander

Default Help me understand Senticar please.

So having recently came back to rigt after about 6 months off, i decided to switch my dps cleric to a healer. I was running a sentinal/purifier build and thought and was told numerous times in expert runs that i was a good healer. This build felt pretty good to me seemed like i could keep the tank up and had sufficent enough aoe heals to keep up the group as well.

Fast foward and i start trying to do some raids in purs. I started getting tells that i should be a senticar for the best heal type. I asked in general chat and i got senticar as well. So i decided to look up info on senticars. I read Ahovs guide and specced and made all th macros as he has in his guide. Now here is the part where io am stuck. I really have no idea how this works.

What im guessing is i use the conviction generater macro to get up to 4 i guess? then from there im supposed to use the healing macros in some way but not sure how. Basicly can someone please dummyfy his guide for me and explain in simplest terms how this build works?

For referance i played a cleric in eq1 for 7 years. A resto shaman in wow for 4 years and a resto druid for about 2 in wow. In wow i was ina competitive progression raid guild, im not clueless usually but for some reason this builds mechanics eludes me.

Ryudori
    Faeblight

Rift Disciple

Its basically a 2 button raid heal spec

You build convictions, and you spend convictions via Doctrine of Loyalty.

Ideally you want to keep 4 convictions up as much as possible. Other then that its pretty much mana management after that, and learning to spot heal and support etc.

Hey Oldschool;

In my sig I have a link to my Senticar Build / rotations. You've already read Ahov's well put together guide so you should have everything set there. Most senticars play very similar (been a while since I've read Ahov's guide).

The reason Senticar can be a bit complex is that its the fusion between several things. This fusion is why we bring it to the raid.

Lets start out at your foundation as DPS. Doing DPS (especially with Justicar Abilities) does healing. As an example, Even Justice can put out about 1-1.5 k DPS in an AoE situation while doing about 1k HPS. EDIT: In additon it keeps Protect the Flock up on the raid.

So, you are running a raid or a 5 man, you do as much dps as you can using mostly Justicar abilities. This in turn will keep the raid healed through minor consistent damage (think damage like on Scarn). Couple with something like the SHoE and you are set.

So, step 1 is to DPS with your conviction macro all the time.

Step 2 is raid healing burst damage. This would be like the damage you see in GSB on oracle or even LGS during the bubble phase. The type where everyone takes like 50% damage at once. For this (you've been dpsing so you have 4 convictions) you hit DoL. The better you get at anticipating damage the more healing you'll do and the more lives you save. As an example, on Grug when everyone gets a knock back, you stop DPSing for 2 or so seconds before that Knockback hits, then right when it hits you hit your DoL. Do it well enough and 10 people will look like they took no damage.

Step 3 is tank healing. When your DPS Healing and Raid Healing are not enough to keep the tank up, you'll use Healing Breath and/or Healing Invocation (some Senticar builds will use Warden for this as well).

Step 4 is cooldowns. Healer's Convenant is a powerful cooldown (10s of 40% damage) that you'll use as a reaction or proactively to spike damage on the tank (or a dps who pulled agro). You also, depending on spec, have instant heals and Healer's Haste.

Step 5 is power management. Depending on your build, you'll have 1 or 2 power regens available to you, such as Purpose or Aggressive Renewal. Use these early and keep them on cooldown.

Step 6 is cleanse/purge/interupt/silence. Depending on build, you'll have these tools available. Senticars are often the ones responsible for cleansing due to our AoE cleanse. Depending on spec you may have a purge and an interupt available.

So yeah, DPS, Raid Heal, Tank Heal, life saves, power management, mechanics. Senticars do everything.

For raids, they are often brought for the unmatched burst raid healing they provide. We may also provide a senticar on fights that the tank does not take much damage, but the raid may, such as General Silgen in RotP or Soulrender Zilas in HK.

Senticars are also able, due to the mix of tank/raid healing, solo heal all the master modes and normal dungeons.
    Last edited by MaddBomber83; 06-03-2012 at 02:39 PM.

Rift Disciple

Well said ^!
    ODOMA!!!

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by MaddBomber83 View Post

Senticars are also able, due to the mix of tank/raid healing, solo heal all the master modes and normal dungeons.
    At certain gear levels/raid dps, you can solo heal most of HK and all of RotP
    Last edited by Ahov; 06-03-2012 at 05:17 PM.

I have a pretty concise guide on the senticar spec I use with build, macros and rotation.
    http://silentguilds.com/forums/games...build-senticar

It's based on MaddBomber83's build but with less emphasis (points) in melee (justicar and even justice) and more in ranged (inquisitor) damage/conviction generation and tank healing (sentinel).

Prophet of Telara BrownsMageNerfDelivery's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ahov View Post
    Ahov, I'm going to have to call your cousin and tell him to undo whatever he did to fix your internet for using that heart emoticon.

World Best
    AT LEAST 20 MOTHER****ERS TRIED TO BAN ME BUT I'M STILL HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by Gile View Post
    We do not want to carry you like GO had to for SO So go kill yourself
    I GOT 99 PROBLEMS BUT A BAN AIN'T ONE

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    What im guessing is i use the conviction generater macro to get up to 4 i guess? then from there im supposed to use the healing macros in some way but not sure how. Basicly can someone please dummyfy his guide for me and explain in simplest terms how this build works?
    Senticar is a different playstyle to purisent and it takes a little getting used to. It's certainly much easier to play in raids where your primary job is to counter burst damage with massive burst healing. You have other utility and some solid tank healing as well; judicous use of these abilities is what will separate you from the other Senticars in your raid. None of that really helps you understand the subclass though, the best way to get to grips with it is in 5 man content.

In 5 mans, unlike purisent you won't have the tank targeted at all. You will heal the tank through the "target of target" settings option, or by focusing the tank and using @focus macros. The former is the simplest, and the later takes a bit of setting up and can be fine tuned to your tastes. I use a combination of both, which makes it a bit easier to quickly heal multiple targets whilst continuing to pew pew my target and build convictions.

You'll direct heal the tank with Healing Breath and Healing Invocation, depending on your build you can combine cooldowns with the HI making it instacast when on the move. When a non-tank takes damage you spot heal with Doctrine of Loyalty, you can also use DoL in a pinch as a tank heal when on the move.

Save your instant cast Life abilities for when you are on the move, and use the cast time Life abilities when stationary. This gives you at least 2 or 3 convictions saved for when you need them when moving, double that if they all crit. The only exception to this should be Sanction Heretic, which you may choose to prioritise above all as it provides a 2nd conviction on the first tick of the DoT component. You should have no trouble maintaining a full stack of convictions and if you have nothing else to do then Always Be Casting (ABC) and keep refreshing the stack. Be ready to stopcasting (jump, strafe, move a little, or just have it in a macro) when you need to heal, queueing a DoL is BAAAD.

Your only other major issue is mana. If you don't monitor it and manage it you'll be out of it and that is very bad. Depending on your build you will have some mana regen options, and maybe some mana pool boosts or some mana cost reductions. At the very least you will have Purpose, which can give you back at least 70% of your mana bar every 60 seconds, however it requires you to be meleeing something. You need to use this often, even if you don't get to melee for the full duration. You should also carry and use a lot of mana pots.

Finally you have a lot of utility to use as well, Healer's Covenant is one of the best defensive cooldowns in the game, don't be afraid to use it. I prefer to use it in a non-defensive fashion. You should have the AOE cleanse, which is now smart target and stupidly OP, and you should make a cleanse macro with your single target cleanse that makes use of the @mouseoverui and @group target modifiers so you can quickly cleanse anyone without switching target. You will also have silences, stuns, purges, interrupts, snares and knockbacks, depending on your build.

Personally I dungeon with a melee playstyle, making use of fully talented Even Justice spam for conviction generation, mana regen, and Righteous Manadate tank healing with Reparation for the party. I might stop EJ spamming to throw the odd DoL or HB, but if the tanks likes to pull, I'm happy

Raiding is a slightly different story. Meleeing with a blue bar in a lot of encounters can be tough with AOE mana drains. This makes using Purpose impossible on some trash packs, but mana shouldn't be a big concern as the packs should be going down fast and you can sneak a drink between pulls if you are lucky. Most boss encounters have opportunities for you to melee something to get mana back, you'll learn them with experience.

There is plenty of other good information out there, don't be afraid to Google or see if you can get anything out of the Trion forum search. My advice to you is just dive in to some 5 mans and develop your own playstyle. You'll note that there are a LOT of Senticar variations out there, it's a very flexible subclass, I suggest you maybe try a few and settle on the one that best suits your playstyle.
    Last edited by Bowler Hat; 06-03-2012 at 10:40 PM.

Shadowlander

wow! thank you all for the replies. I had gone to bed (work graveyards) so just now able to read this. I appreciate the input. Seems pretty straight foward the way you all explain it ill probably runa few normals to test it out and gt used to it before i do experts and jump into any purs. Quick question tho. for the heal macros do i need to target a party or raid member first?

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    wow! thank you all for the replies. I had gone to bed (work graveyards) so just now able to read this. I appreciate the input. Seems pretty straight foward the way you all explain it ill probably runa few normals to test it out and gt used to it before i do experts and jump into any purs. Quick question tho. for the heal macros do i need to target a party or raid member first?
    DoL requires no target, it is a 35m point blank AOE heal centred around you. Divine Call is also PBAOE, I don't recall the exact range, 5 target close range. Healing Communion requires a target and is an AOE heal centred around your target, range to target is 35m, 10 man AOE heal with a 20m range.

edit:
    Some guides use the @self target modifier for HC macros, removing the requirement for a target. However if you have enabled the "target of target" settings option the game engine will attempt to apply the ability to the first valid target in the following order;

1. your target
    2. your target's target
    3. yourself

This can cause the HC to be cast at the tank which may or may not heal your intended targets due to the lower 20m range and the typically much greater distance men in dresses like to stand from their target. If you use @self in one macro you should also have an unmodified HC somewhere else on your bars/keybinds so you have ready access to both behaviours. Personally I use @self in a PBAOE macro (DoL, HC, DC) and @mouseoverui in a second HC macro for maximum flexibility. The @mouseoverui macro will default to the above target selection logic if it has not been used over a game UI element.
    /edit

I'm not sure what macro's you are referring to, possibly Ahov's or maybe Rantology's, I think it might be best to do some of your own experimentation and then come back and look at their macros with a better understanding
    Last edited by Bowler Hat; 06-04-2012 at 09:34 AM.

Shadowlander

Welp ran about 5ish experts so far tonight and loving the spec so far its alot more active then the puri/sent spec i was using. Only thing that i have to get used to or rather stop doing is tunnel visioning boss mechanics and dying due to me having a lil bit more to pay attention to.

Thanks all for the help and suggestions!

Ryudori
    Faeblight

While maybe a little shameful to admit, when I get too distracted by mechanics I'll focus on just them while holding down my DoL button (it generated Convictions while moving and does everything I need). It is hard on the power, but if you only get frazzeled once or twice a fight you'll be alright. You'll put out enough healing on the tank and raid for those 10 or so seconds that you don't need to pay attention to their bars as heavily while you are focused on moving around ground aoe.
    Last edited by MaddBomber83; 06-04-2012 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahov View Post
    Pretty much. Senticar can, in so far as healing goes, fill every healing role once the group/raid is beyond the progression phase and is in the farm phase. On top of that it also arguably brings the most non-heal realted utility of heal builds to the table with the right build. The Senticar build I prefer the most brings heals, interrupts, purge and silences to the table at the cost of one b-rez basically.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Regarding mana regen:

On fights where I know I'm just not going to be able to melee or raid healing will be intense, I use an elder tablet pre pull and heroic mana pots on cooldown (once I hit a mana level to fully use the pot - for me it's 75% ish).

I can thoroughly recommend Healing Breath as a tank healer. I use it to keep the tank topped off rather than waiting for situation where HI will be a must.

Healing Communion is really good as an aoe healer, especially if you run out of convictions and raid damage is heavy (think final stages on Uruluuk). Pair it with Healers Haste and it's all win.

I think just playing about with this build is the key. You have so many options, and once you have the knack of it it's really good fun.

Prophet of Telara

Saying that senticar is good is one thing, but calling a zzzz-fallaspeel spec fun is another and wont take it.
    It's great but its boring

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast