+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: "Each Class gets a new Soul" Speculation

Default "Each Class gets a new Soul" Speculation

What could we possibly get to "round out" our class? What are we missing?

To a certain extent, we are missing a buff body spec, similar to BM/Bard/Archon. I think Druid tried to fill this role initially, and i still feel it has a lost identity. Druid tries to dps, it tries to support heal and tries to buff it's raid and aside from one spec set up, it's pretty lacking in comparison.

We have good (albeit not quite competetive) melee DPS souls, a good Ranged DPS soul, a good tank soul and good healing souls. We have a couple of good hybrid specs for healing, support healing and dps. While these souls and combinations might not be competetive against other classes in some examples, they are fine if played correctly. Trion seems to think they can add something to make our calling better or more interesting, i'm curious as to what it could be.

What could Trion have in store for us with this mysterious new Soul? What is the gap that they are plugging? Are they legitimately improving our calling or simply appeasing us with some novelty while giving all the nice things to the other callings?

<Trinity>
    Aussie Dudebro
    Cleric : 4/4 : 5/5
    ~NA First Infinite Perfection~

new tank soul, or a more utility soul that enhances all of the different capabilities we have now.

Shadowlander

Default Monk

New Soul = Monk....discuss.

I'd be worried to see a soul that could enhance all our other souls. Something that makes us take less damage, do more damage and heal for more does not sound like a balanced Soul at all. If we're talking strict SP% then we already have that: PA.

A new soul being added needs to be just that. Something new, not just more of the same. Clerics are pretty bland as it is. If we get a "buff body" spec added, it'll balance out our class.. but that just isn't exciting.

I'd be excited to see a new spec to play, but i'm not really sure what i want. I'd love a skill intensive ranged DPS spec with DoT timers, reactives etc.. But all that needs is a buff to ST Cabalist and we can have a Cab/Inq hybrid. That doesnt seem hard.

<Trinity>
    Aussie Dudebro

Quote Originally Posted by Zasryn View Post
    New Soul = Monk....discuss.
    how about you give us some ideas as to what a "monk" is supposed to do?

If you mean he is a melee dps class that heals and buffs his party, then it sounds a lot like Senticar, which already exists.

I'm skeptical as to what innovations Trion could have to add. I am crossing my fingers to be peasantly surprised. If we get some buffs here and there to make our preffered specs more powerful, i'm all for that. I'd love to do something else in raids and pvp though.

I've been playing the same Inquisicar spec for almost a year, Senticar and Sent/Ward has always existed.. All the "go to" specs have been around for months and months. The only new creations have been the BnJ dps, some Shaman fixes (no one plays it anymore though) and some Purifier love. Other than that, Clerics have had no reason to change their specs for the past year, rather just add a couple new FoTM to try them. Only Purifier has had some staying power. BnJ isn't viable on half the fights.. and even then i'm being generous.
    Last edited by The Witchking; 05-31-2012 at 07:19 PM.

<Trinity>
    Aussie Dudebro

Shadowlander

Default Monk

Monk = Melee dps/buffs/ some healing maybe more of a jack of all trades.

And of course FD
    Last edited by Zasryn; 05-31-2012 at 07:26 PM.

How about something Druid should have been, a debuff class. Maybe a debuff/dot class?

I still wouldn't mind either a magic soaker or another bubble soul. Kinda like puri but no real heals and all shields. Reflects damage reducers cc blockers cc reflects etc.
    No direct attacks just a bunch of redirections.

Quote Originally Posted by Eughe View Post
    I still wouldn't mind either a magic soaker or another bubble soul. Kinda like puri but no real heals and all shields. Reflects damage reducers cc blockers cc reflects etc.
    No direct attacks just a bunch of redirections.
    Cool idea. New angle, something innovative. Not sure exactly how useful it would be.. but in a Hybrid set up, i could see this being very powerful in an -icar spec. Raid shields and reflects for everyone then heal the damage after some GCDs? sure i'll take that.

<Trinity>
    Aussie Dudebro

Soul Linker-esque. Ragnarok Online reference.
    Puts skill points to buff certain souls of different callings to give them enhancements to their current abilities. Reference
    Places a magic reflect and damage absorb shield on other players (not themselves).

Not an exact copy or anything; but somewhere along similar lines. So this calling would directly buff a certain ability of each soul in the game rather than place general +stat, reduce overall cast/etc buffs that other classes already have.

RIFT Community Ambassador Morvick's Avatar

Am I the only one who'd be happy with more options for Tanking souls?

Or, please God let it be so, a Soul with real mobility (dare I ask for Riftstalker-level mobility?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

I would love a new tanking soul

Don't know how many people here played vanguard but i miss both of the fun healing classes from that game.

Bloodmages were vampiric life-tap type healers who's damage done was directly converted to both ST and AoE healing with other mechanics to reduce target damage taken as a cost to themselves whilst leeching HP's back from the groups overall DPS. Had 2 stances one tweaked for life leech healing/dps (fun) and one tweaked for straight vanilla healing (boring).

Disciples, a melee class which preformed its abilities in different combinations to unlock various buffs or heals or debuffs depending on the combination of melee attacks they used, along with feign dead, combat ress, and could operate independant of mana via a class mechanic which built up when they performed attacks and could be spent to casts heals, abit like convictions. Also had different stances to perform either more damage/healing/mix.

Both classes were very capable at both dps and healing, but were not MT heal replacements, nor top DPS in that game.
    Ambi - Cleric - Apotheosys.

Quote Originally Posted by usman View Post
    Snip
    Bloodmage sounds like Chloromancer and the Disciple sounds like what I think Rogues might get, melee based healer I mean.

Cleric would have to be the one class where I'm not sure what to add.

Presently there is:
    Melee Dps
    Melee Dps with a pet
    Ranged AoE dps
    Ranged ST Dps
    Tanking
    Direct Healing
    HoT Healing
    Shield Healing

The only thing really missing is true support. The only 'problem' with adding hard support like a Bard/Archon is that it really leaves Warriors in the dust flexibility wise, especially if they get a ranged soul. That shouldn't be a design concern, but it will be a factor.

I'd be hoping for a Diablo 3 Witch Doctor, Zombie Bears can't be beat.
    Last edited by Primalthirst; 05-31-2012 at 11:53 PM.
    Nope.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Jonus View Post
    Soul Linker-esque. Ragnarok Online reference.
    Puts skill points to buff certain souls of different callings to give them enhancements to their current abilities. Reference
    Places a magic reflect and damage absorb shield on other players (not themselves).

Not an exact copy or anything; but somewhere along similar lines. So this calling would directly buff a certain ability of each soul in the game rather than place general +stat, reduce overall cast/etc buffs that other classes already have.
    Oh JESUS! Soul Links were so awesome. People don't even have any idea. In reference to Ragnarok -Imagine if we got Soul Linker, Rogue got Biochemist, Mages got Supernovice since I don't care about them, and Warriors got Paladin. That would be nice.

Soul Link would be nice if we could maintain say 4 links and constantly be toggling to each person we want to link to. It would be the closest thing to support we have as well as being a super twitch build ha.

Super out there but oh boy, the memories.
    ODOMA!!!

Rift Disciple

My main concern with Trion adding in a new soul is that they've spent the last year ****ing around trying to synergize and balance the souls we already have. Now their tossing another one into the mix.

Hopefully they take the time from now till release to actually make smart decisions on how to balance and fix our trees (specifically dps)

As for what that tree could be, Im thinking most likely some kind of support tree (or at least thats what I hope it is). A tank tree would be my next best guess. We basically have all the dps and healing bases covered atm.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast